Options
1871 With Motto Seated dollar (w/grading poll)
lordmarcovan
Posts: 45,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
My eighth purchase for the new 19th century VF-XF Basic Type Set.
I'm sorry the pictures are not ideal, but they should serve well enough for the purposes of this poll, I guess.
This will probably end (or seriously slow down) my recent spending spree, as I've reached the last of my proceeds from the sale of the love token collection. From here on out, I'm back to my normal budgetary constraints, but at least now, I've knocked out the three tough dollar coins one needs for a 7070-style collection, and gotten five other coins besides. I'm happy and it's been fun so far.

PCGS/Photograde standards
Index of similar grading poll threads like this
I'm sorry the pictures are not ideal, but they should serve well enough for the purposes of this poll, I guess.
This will probably end (or seriously slow down) my recent spending spree, as I've reached the last of my proceeds from the sale of the love token collection. From here on out, I'm back to my normal budgetary constraints, but at least now, I've knocked out the three tough dollar coins one needs for a 7070-style collection, and gotten five other coins besides. I'm happy and it's been fun so far.

PCGS/Photograde standards
Index of similar grading poll threads like this
Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.
0
Comments
I do think it is likely VF-something. I rather like the tiny hints of color at the peripheries of the reverse, which looks like old album toning. It also means it's entirely possible that this piece was cleaned at some time and picked up secondary toning, but if that is the case, I believe it's "market acceptable", at least to me. It doesn't look like it was scrubbed or polished harshly, anyway. So I personally don't think I would call it a "problem" coin, though we'll reserve final judgment until I have it in hand.
Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.
These images look a bit washed out to me.
Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.
There is just something about the numismatically uneducated that makes them want to scrub Seated Dollars with a Brillo pad, while many won't do the same to a half dime. A psychological curiosity to ponder.
I was in the "VF-something" camp based on the eagle's feathers, which is a feature I tend to look at a lot when grading Bust and Seated coins.
Admittedly, I didn't pay so much attention to Liberty's head or shield on this one.
2013 Redbook price is $365 in VF20 and Numismedia says $420. Again, there seems a pretty wide spread between the two sources.
I paid a little less than half the difference between the two, so I got this at more than Redbook VF price but less than Numismedia VF.
I would imagine the Numismedia numbers are a bit more current.
PS- oh, hey- the "VG voter" is back! LOL
Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.
Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.
Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
The pastel target colors on the reverse (obviously old album toning) look nice, but I cannot swear this coin is 100% original and undisturbed. There is the odd chance it was dipped long ago and retoned. That being said, I do find it acceptable and perfectly suitable for my purposes in this collection, at least for the time being. And it's far from scrubbed or overdipped like so many Seated dollars were, as we all know. I went through the entire category on eBay before selecting this one.
I like it.
Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
Nice coin
<< <i>You're like butter cause you're on a roll
Not quite.
But if that 1879 Indian cent is the worst misstep I've made for this set, I ain't doin' too bad, I reckon.
(Hey, if you're gonna make a bum purchase, do it on the cheapest types, right?)
Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.
Hoard the keys.
I like it Mr. Butter Roll
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.