Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1853 No Arrows quarters

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
According to Coinfacts, they estimate 500 remain. Agree or disagree? It is interesting that are several high grade examples(22) of the 56 graded. Was there a hoard of uncirculated ones years ago that accounts for the high grade examples that remain?

Comments

  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    One of the very few coins that I've sold and later regretted selling... image

    image
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>One of the very few coins that I've sold and later regretted selling... image

    Nice look to that coin. I regret you selling that one too.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Richardshipp, I could see where you might regret selling that one. It will be hard to replace.

    The mintage listed in the Red Book is 44,200, but I imagine that a lot of those pieces never made it out of the government vaults and went straight to the melting pot. Among those that were issued, private melters got them because they contained more than 25 cents worth of silver.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a very cool coin, RS. image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall quite a few years ago, I think it was at a Central States show, and I think it was Julian Leidman, had a one of these in Proof on display, along with
    a $4 Stella, and some other interesting pieces. My first glimpse of the big leagues.....

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased that you sold the N/A half dime to me. Where the heck was I when you put the quarter on the market ? image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I'm pleased that you sold the N/A half dime to me. Where the heck was I when you put the quarter on the market ? image >>



    You're welcome on the N/A half dime, glad you like it. I never listed the quarter publically. In that Rich Uhrich was kind enough to allow me to purchase it, I gave him first shot when I sold it. FWIW... it helped cover some unexpected medical expenses at the time. Hopefully some day I'll be at a point where I'll be able to replace it.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard, that's a wow!! coin!!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. If I recall correctly it was in a PCGS slab as AU53 and at the time was the only one at that grade... haven't looked in a while to see if that has changed. Whereever it is now the new owner should be very happy with it.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I'd be happy with it, and I don't specialize in these thngs. The history of the need to decrease the weight of the silver coins thenn in circulation because of the flood of gold from California would make this coin a keeper for me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only owned one of these and it was a MS66 ogh I purchased off Teletrade in the mid-1990's. My gut feel is that it was from the Ed Milas collection of original mint sets.
    A number of those coins were deep blue and black from storage. Many ended up getting dipped. This particular coin was superbly clean even for a MS67 but the luster was
    one shade off from full brilliance due the dipping/toning removal. It later ended up in an NGC MS67 holder. I'm aware of 2 finer coins in MS67/68 - the Norweb coin and the
    mottled but nicely toned Amon Carter specimen. Both of those have a similar look to them. A small number of gems were put away at time of issue making the date readily
    available to anyone wishing to own a choice/gem unc example. But if you want a problem free VF-XF, those seem to be harder to come by. No doubt a number of uncs were
    saved during the transition from no arrows to arrows in 1853. The 1853 na half dimes and dimes are also somewhat numerous in unc despite their lower mintages. Someone
    back then decided that putting away a few dozen uncs of each was a good idea. If they hadn't, the 1853 NA coinage would be quite rare in unc.

    I don't think the estimate of 500 pieces is close to accurate as that would imply a >1% survival rate. That is extremely high for better date seated quarters. 0.2 to 0.5% is a much
    more commonly seen survival rate assuming the mintage is accurate and all were released into circulation. For the 1853 na I'd say that 175-250 is a more accurate range. If one
    removes the uncs from consideration there are relatively few of these to go around. And unlike the rare 1866 and 1869 business strikes, the 53 na doesn't have proofs to muck up
    the waters.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I'd never seen one before.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this coin go to the Teaparty guys?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Did this coin go to the Teaparty guys? >>



    RichardShipp's coin came from Rich Uhrich, and went back to him. I seriously doubt Uhrich would have sold it to another dealer.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still looking for one.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Did this coin go to the Teaparty guys? >>



    RichardShipp's coin came from Rich Uhrich, and went back to him. I seriously doubt Uhrich would have sold it to another dealer. >>



    Although all of my purchases and sales are confidential, I believe I can disclose that I sold the coin to a collector (I think) at an ANA show.

    The 1853 No Arrows quarter is one of the unusual issues where a Mint State coin seems to be easier to find than a decent circulated coin.

    And the PCGS AU-53 coin that Richard Shipp posted, I was very happy to have bought it twice and sold it twice. It is a very nice coin, and I think the current owner knows that.

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin. i like the looks of that and the color and all.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    That is a great looking quarter posted. Ya' don't see many of them.


    Mike
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice......


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    That is a VERY sweet coin. I'm still looking for mine.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is one on Ebay as I type...saw it this a.m.

    Unfortunately it appears to be an altered date (1858).

    bobimage

    1853
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file