Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade - 1858-O Seated Half Dollar - GRADE REVEALED

I will post the results later today, thanks for playing image

image

Comments

  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275 ✭
    58
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50 - great detail, but I don't see the luster to support a higher grade. But I'm usually wrong, too!

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>au53 >>



    I'm with you.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say AU-53 although that number is not often used for a coin like this. It has the sharpness of an AU-58, but I'm concerned about the obverse which looks a little rough in the photo, perhaps from dipping. The coin definitely was dipped and has re-toned.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up back in 2010 from Heritage for $184 with the juice...I always felt it was under-graded. I like it as an AU-53 (there is light wear on Liberty's hair), other then that it could slide into an Unc holder (but then it would be just a so so coin in my opinion)

    Grade revealed:
    image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the luster is gone
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is odd. Coin definitely has AU55 to 58 details. Perhaps the dullness of the surfaces resulted in a "net" grade of some sort. I wonder if it is possible to have a "mechanical error" on a label that was supposed to read AU55?
  • Options
    Much nicer than a 45.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I wont claim for it to be dripping with luster...but the luster definitely isn't gone...or dull. I really think it's just a common date that nobody really cared what grade it was given. I think it's got a lot of character, it's for sure better then a lot of boring examples with no toning out there that get into AU holders.
  • Options
    Very interesting, my gut was telling me a 45 but I thought New Orleans were notorious for a weak strike. I graded it down because of the nicks and scratches on the front.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I wont claim for it to be dripping with luster...but the luster definitely isn't gone...or dull. I really think it's just a common date that nobody really cared what grade it was given. I think it's got a lot of character, it's for sure better then a lot of boring examples with no toning out there that get into AU holders. >>

    This is true if there's still decent luster on the coin -- looks like about AU-55 details to me.

    I'd expect this tight grading more on a condition rarity date than one that sells for "type coin" money, though. It may be that the fields are a little scruffier than the images really show and was downgraded for such?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great lookin' coin.

    Without scrolling down to peek at the results (I'm still at the top of the page as I type this), I will say AU55.

    Edit- OK, I looked. XF45? Wow. That definitely does seem undergraded.

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    before I looked at the grade after looking at the coin I guessed AU55. There is no way that coin is XF. I can not see anything that would indicate it has been net graded. Dipped re-toned coins are in slabs a lot and this one is as good as most one sees in the market. AU50 I could see maybe but XF no way.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
    nice coin
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking coin.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,968 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That is odd. Coin definitely has AU55 to 58 details. Perhaps the dullness of the surfaces resulted in a "net" grade of some sort. I wonder if it is possible to have a "mechanical error" on a label that was supposed to read AU55? >>



    I think that there is a "net grade" situation here that has to do with the roughness on the obverse. Not all New Orleans coins were poorly made. In fact during the late 1858s up until 1861 when the mint fell into Rebel hands, the facility made half dollars that were every bit as well made as their Philadelphia counterparts. Here is a very nice 1860-O.

    imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    A very nice coin for the grade!
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is at least a 53, and I guessed 55. There is no way that should be graded a 45 unless the coin lacks luster from excessive dipping long ago.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grade also was 53

    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file