Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

one down/one to go on circulated WLH set

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
Upon reflection, posting a VF WLH isn’t all that compelling for the world at large. But it is a milestone for me, in that it is the 2nd to last piece I need to complete my WLH, with only the 21-D remaining. When I started this project a bit more than four years ago I always assumed the key dates would be the last, but I’ve had the other 1921 dates for a while.

While the 17-D obv mintage is on the low side at 765K, who knew finding an example in VF with a full bust line would be so hard. I’ve been looking at local and Baltimore shows and the main auction sites for four years +, with no luck. Raw pieces always seemed over graded/over priced or problem coins, and the certified population isn’t that big since it’s not an overly expensive coin. Even within the certified examples, finding a nice example was difficult until now. I won this piece last week, and after a bit of concern over an auction that generated so little interest, I was happy once it arrived in hand yesterday.

imageimage

Comments

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect looking coin - congrats!

    And yes, grade inflation is rampant among the mid-to upper circ walkers.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!!
    A fine project coming to fruition with one of the most beautiful coin designs in the history of US coinage...image
    In a Dansco? Would be nice to hold that in ones hands and admire.....

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool you have the drive of a good collector good job. image


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably gently cleaned back in the 60's with water/baking soda (the yellowish ting is a 'tell') yet a charmingly attractive coin.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WLH series is deceptively difficult in the VF-ish range when it comes to the early dates. Most folks have no idea how difficult these coins can be to find until they have to acquire one or two. It would be cool to see your set.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. I know all too well how difficult it is to do a nice true VF set of Walkers. The 16 S & D, some 17's and 19's dates, and a 20D is very difficult to find in nice TRUE unmolested VF (the 21's go without saying).

    Let's see some pics of the whole set if you can post them. The people who know the series in those grades will enjoy seeing it.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Displaying the whole set will have to be a project for another day. I have a couple of images that I've shared here before. The 1921 dates were purchases/graded as F. The 20-D was priced as VF.

    imageimage

    imageimage

    imageimage

  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    very nice coins, thanks for sharing !
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, the 1917-D with the obverse mint mark, is hard to find in that grade.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins...the Walkers have always been a favorite of mine...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG! image

    I walked that road with my casual Dansco Walker set in F-VF, not too long ago. Sold it last summer. I didn't complete it but got a few of the better dates and had a little bit of fun with it. US coins do not hold my attention as long as Darkside (particularly ancient) pieces do, but I still enjoy and admire them and try to keep at least one US set going at any given time.

    Good for you!

    Whatcha gonna do when you're done? Sell the set? Tuck it away as-is? Or work on upgrading?

    I never got the '17-D Obv but here is my 17-S Obv from that set. I tried to get as many as I could with that "crusty" grey look.

    image

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    I am drawn to those coins, great buy and cool set
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the WLH series- I suspect everyone that collects them in a mid to high end circ grade has stories to share about the ones that were hardest to buy and those that got away.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file