Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am going to stop collecting smaller coins I only want large size coins.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been thinking about this for a long time.

Big coins are more beautiful to behold.....you know, tilt in the
light and see all the luster, patina, and originality more clearly.

More fun to look at... !

I am going to be selling all my small coins!.

So what size coin should be my minimum size?

Maybe for now on only silver dollar size coins for me I am thinking.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I'm talking aboutimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Realone doesn't see this thread....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That' is the one thing that has kept me from acquiring two coins I would like to own

a 72 business stike 3c silver and 1846 half dime. two damn small, but great pieces

although I do have a few nice dimes 04, 22, 74-cc and 16-d.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gettin' older? Eyesight not what it used to be? image

(I know all about that.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta go for at least $50 size - - CA slugs, Wass $50's, half-unions, Modern gold like proof Buffs, etc. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, did you ever notice that small coins never bring 10 mil. image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't necessarily disagree....but also think that you may be messing with us. image At a very simplistic level I've always most enjoyed bigger coins.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....although big pics of small coins ain't too bad either.
  • Options

<< <i>Bidask must be joshing >>

I haven't seen a reference to the racketeering nickel guy in a long time.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe that no one has said that "Size Matters". image

I heard Kevin Lipton once call them "Cranium Coins" - cause they have really big heads. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    halves
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Minimum? Two bob, i.e. 30mm. So, you're safe with Gothic Florins and larger............unless, you want to try for a gem unc. date run of Young Head sovereigns which would be OK by me.............. IOW, I squint for gem sovs. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably 90% of my coin budget goes toward coins larger than a nickel and smaller than a silver dollar.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally agree. Despite my agreement, two of my most recent purchases have been Type I gold dollars. image

To be fair, I need them for various sets, but I have continued to put off purchasing them until there was little left needed but these two. I am pretty sure that I can make it through the rest of my numismatic career without ever buying a gold dollar again.

Minimum size going forward: 20mm

(Sorry, quarter eagles image )
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what size coin should be my minimum size? >>

Keep nothing smaller than an ATB puck. For the sake of expediency, I'll send you my address in a PM so you can send all your smaller material to me. Heck, I'm feeling generous; I'll even pay the postage! image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
  • Options
    I have trouble seeing small coins and tend to choose larger coins for that reason.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Hey, did you ever notice that small coins never bring 10 mil.<<<

There is a dime that is much rarer (only 1) than all these coins going for big money. The 1873-CC no arrows.
  • Options
    No Dismes or half dismes? No Flying Eagle or Indian Heads? No Trimes? Buffaloes? Flowing Hair dimes or half dimes? Send all those rejects to me!image

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're dealing with slabs, loupes and digital images the size of the coin should not matter at all.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's smaller than a dime, I don't collect it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I think that view is shared by many, but isn't shared much. Thanks to a fellow board member for talking me out of collecting California gold -- too small. I'm glad I went big with CBHs.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Size is the reason I have no CWT's and haven't worked on collecting Feuchtwanger Cents (18.5 mm diameter) by variety.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since size DOES seem to matter to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would suggest that you only collect 5 oz Silver State Quarter Pucks image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    In the interest of full disclosure, I'll start by saying that most of my collection is halves or larger, and most of those are crown-sized (28-35mm). However, in US coins that eliminates some of the rarest and most beautiful coins. You must prioritize your guidelines and if size has risen to the top so be it. For me it's not the most important factor.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, did you ever notice that small coins never bring 10 mil. image >>

image A brilliant view.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You gotta go for at least $50 size - - CA slugs, Wass $50's, half-unions, Modern gold like proof Buffs, etc. image >>

Too small. Get the 5 oz silver ATB coins. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>Hey, did you ever notice that small coins never bring 10 mil.<<<

There is a dime that is much rarer (only 1) than all these coins going for big money. The 1873-CC no arrows. >>

The 1870-S half dime is also unique. How many 1794 silver dollars are there?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally prefer half dollar sized or larger vs smaller pieces for the type.

However there are many other desireable types which are smaller like Standing Liberty Quarters or Indian Cents.

My girlfriend, who is an x stripper (now paralegal) likes slabbed modern commem dollar coins or ASE's. She was especially impressed with the Star Spangled Banner Coins.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The irony if this "large coins only" strategy is that you will be leaving out a huge number of coins if you are a type collector. If you are going to ignore everything that is dime sized or smaller, you will probably leave out 30% or more of the types. Here is a list of exclusions:

Three cent pieces (both types)
    Half dimes
    Dimes
    Gold dollars
    Quarter eagles
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    My nephew pushes me in this business more than I like being pushed. My renewal of the membership allows for 8 submissions to PCGS. That's a $240 value. My cost is about $300 per year.

The declared value of three of the small Barber dimes is $2600. The declared value of the five larger coins is $2250.

Size doesn't matter. Grade does. image If ownership adds a point, I'm screwed.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I have examples in my type set, but I'm not interested in doing full sets of them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite gold type sets:

Gold Type Set

I like that the small coins have been deemphasized in both number (2 out of ten are less than 20mm) and weighting.
  • Options
    Nah, include half dollars too. Still a beefy hunk of silver!
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>If it's smaller than a dime, I don't collect it. >>

Me too - my eyesight was the second thing to go.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, yes. get rid of all those tiny coins. they are too small. do you gave any gold dollars? i'd be happy to take them off your hands! image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I reached the same conclusion last weekend with regard to small cents image

edited to add:
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I say 75 mm. Some beautiful medals out there.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Careful, guys. You are going to hurt MrHalfDime's feelings!

On second thought, he might just prefer that you leave all those little beauties for him ... image
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK all you gold dollar haters, send me your tiny, worthless, pieces of gold! It takes a real colletor to go small.
    liefgold
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Careful, guys. You are going to hurt MrHalfDime's feelings!

Think about how the California fractional gold guys must feel.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Of the 400 or so Barber coins I've ever owned, only two have been Dimes.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    This is what I say: here are a couple of nice ones, can you imagine what they would run if they were any bigger?

Good point, and I have had the discussion with a favorite gold coin dealer that I have noticed that the smaller coronet gold denominations (quarter and half eagles) develop much more intense coloration and toning patterns than the larger ones.

At least I can live with the half eagle size...
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Why not just go to Swedish plate money?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
  • Options

Saw this at the Durham Museum. Part of the Byron Reed Collection. Large size coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file