Home U.S. Coin Forum

Freshly graded 2009-D DC DDR

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thought these were designated as dropped letters? i only half read some article a while back, so I could be mistaken

thanks for sharing and looks like you're taking to your camera well image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    i thought these were designated as dropped letters? i only half read some article a while back, so I could be mistaken

. >>

They are definitely not dropped letters. You can see doubling below the "shelf" the keys sit on as well.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>.

. >>

They are definitely not dropped letters. You can see doubling below the "shelf" the keys sit on as well.

-Paul >>

Not only that, but dropped letters would be incused. This doubling is in relief.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    Did you get it in change? What is it worth?

B
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The reverse is nice, but the obverse definitely made me think MS64!
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the grade and always liked that coin, but have to ask with all those hits on the face how is this a MS66? The hits on the neck too and the nick on the lower neck. Are those consider Bag Marks? Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats.! Very cool.Esp.in our host's tomb.These are under rated varieties.The only Statehood variety/error that receives real recognition,are the Wisconsin "extra leaf".Nice find and grade . .-Ex;The "extra tree" Minnesota. as well as yours.- joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are definitely not dropped letters. You can see doubling below the "shelf" the keys sit on as well.-Paul >>

in that case congratz and way to be diversified!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Pretty awesome, esp for a modern. Good eye. image
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Isn't that the obverse on these quarters? Washington and face value is the reverse, right?!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never did find one of them. Very Nice good eye keep up the good work. image

Hoard the keys.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    Who cares what it's graded. That is one awesome coin!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THIS is a 2009 DDR I can get excited about! Congrats!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • That is a rare coin and I suspect time will be kind to its value and popularity. One of the few modern varieties worth mentioning

• Congrats........I like these, also I believe a forum member here discovered them.......image
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin!

I think it's the top dog of varieties in the series and there aren't many examples known.

Thanks for showing it! image
    Ed
  • misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭

What an odd coincidence.

I submitted one of those/received by PCGS on Feb. 4.

Thought mine would be the first.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool.... will have to look for one of those....Cheers, RickO
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a rare coin and I suspect time will be kind to its value and popularity. One of the few modern varieties worth mentioning >>

+1 image

I love it!!! And was not aware of its existance...
    Have got to get one for the collection!!! Thanks for the enlightenment!!!image
    It helps that I'm a huge jazz lover and appreciate the subjectimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on the grade and always liked that coin, but have to ask with all those hits on the face how is this a MS66? The hits on the neck too and the nick on the lower neck. Are those consider Bag Marks? Enjoy image >>

The French and Indian War and Revolutionary War were hard on George.
    3 rim nicks away from Good

Mine received MS-64.

Might list it on eBay.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool DDR, I like it a bunch.
    Does anyone know approximately how many are out there? Not the minor ones, this one.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on the grade and always liked that coin, but have to ask with all those hits on the face how is this a MS66? The hits on the neck too and the nick on the lower neck. Are those consider Bag Marks? Enjoy image >>

Tom, stick to the pre-'98's, and specifically the pre-'65 silvers, lol!!! You'll get a headache with the statehood quarters!!!!! image (you know I just kidding....halfway..LOL!!!). The obv design has spaghetti hair, more 'clutter' in the designs.....different grading on them, vs the pre-'65 silvers....MS only......STAY AWAY....YOU DON'T NEED THE HEADACHES!!! Stick with the top pops proof varieties...LOLOL (though, you ARE good at it)!!!!!!

(no offense to t hose who enjoy clads...not putting them down at all...I have some top pops.....just an inside thing with Tom)
    I'll come up with something.
    But Ken the set is almost complete and I must find another project and you know I am crazy for varieties right? And they are Quarters. I would also like to see a picture of misterR coin, truview? Congrats on finding one and getting a ms64(which is a grade I am more use too) I also sent coins in 2 weeks ago and watch the pops daily and saw someone had found my recent variety coin that I was sure was to be a new top pop and alone for awhile, funny how some of these are found and submitted by 2 different folks in the same week. Please make sure if you sell to put the link on the bst as it would be a fun auction to watch as even a ms64 is a Great Find for this coin. Another reason I love the washington quarters are the varieties and any young man (ken) would do well putting a set of these together NOW...silver,proof and clad...............Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool modern doubled die!
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a very cool DDR, I like it a bunch.
    Does anyone know approximately how many are out there? Not the minor ones, this one. >>

When news first broke of their discovery, I was aware of maybe only 12-20 examples. I don't think too many more have surfaced since then. However, IIRC, one forum member received several from a cash-for-new-quarters machine at one of the Federal Reserve Banks, which means a significant quantity were probably distributed, but people did not know that they received them and it will take a while for them to surface.

I kinda view this variety like the 69-S DDO Lincoln... relatively small population, but they will continue to surface piece by piece for the next several decades.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Will,

I saw that TAMU15 asked what did you think it was worth and in your last post
    you're comparing it to the 1969-S DDO Cent.

So, my good friend "B", you will have to find one in change if you ever want one.

Very nice find, Will. I agree, its an extremely low POP at the moment and not that
    well known to the general public. Not too sure about the rank and file collectors though.

Its a keeper ... I seriously don't think there will be too many more located. Only down side
    is that the "50 States" Program has run its course and I don't see the balance of the series
    appreciating too much - more like depreciating quite a lot.

The Ellington Quarter is THE key to the set... and I hope you ride out the ups and downs
    of this series. In the long run, I think you'll do very well with it.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

For sale on eBay.
    (Hope I get the link correct)

2009-D DC DDR FS-801

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For sale on eBay.
    (Hope I get the link correct)

2009-D DC DDR FS-801

image >>

Wow! I highly doubt that will sell, but if it does I'll be thrilled....... bodes well for the value of my 66!
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288

<< <i>I never did find one of them. Very Nice good eye keep up the good work. image >>

I've been lucky enough to find one so far. Had to look through a lot of quarters! image
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288

<< <i>Congrats........I like these, also I believe a forum member here discovered them.......image >>

I believe it was cam40. image
  • JustlookingJustlooking Posts: 2,895
    Cool piece.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly see it with the naked eye, very neat. I need to crack open some of these 09 Duke rolls. For some reason bought quite a few OBW rolls.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Second attempt!

2009-D DC DDR Quarter PCGS-MS64 >>

Wow, that's a big number image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who cares what it's graded. That is one awesome coin! >>

I agree, the DC DDRs are a great variety!
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    It's still a modern centralized doubled die. Quite different from bygone days.

Yeah it's cool, but not "Moon Money" cool. It'll never be worth that; maybe 1k

good luck imageing
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>It's still a modern centralized doubled die. Quite different from bygone days.

Yeah it's cool, but not "Moon Money" cool. It'll never be worth that; maybe 1k

good luck imageing >>

I would think Will's is around $3k-3500 and the 64 would bring $2k-2250.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's still a modern centralized doubled die. Quite different from bygone days.

Yeah it's cool, but not "Moon Money" cool.
    >>

I dont understand the difference. Do you mean that it is all hubbed, with not hand punching of dates, lettters, etc?
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    With the multiple hits on GW's face I am surprised it went 66. I have never been that fortunate in my results.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Beginning in 1999 all U.S. coinage dies were being produced using the new single-squeeze hubbing process.

There's no more punching
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    In an auction I see it going for around 2k. WAYYYYY overpriced.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Glad you got that DDR graded Will.
    Also, I agree with the 66 despite others online grading attempts.
    Even if it were graded a 67 it would still seem right to me.

If that coin is a 66, then, boy, I must have some 67/68's. No offense to the OP, but I see a 65 best. As for price, boy, that's a strong number (I don't see that number coming close to a 'final price', if it sells), for that 64.

<< <i>Glad you got that DDR graded Will.

image >>

I just have to ask, I send in all my Washington Quarters 32 thru 64 and there is no way this coin would grade a 66, now is it because its consider a modern and the grading is different? Others have said the grade doesn't matter but I just want to understand why is there a Difference between Silver quarters and these moderns? It is a Great score. But should modern coins be graded different than the old ones? I have a few rolls of the 68 d and p quarter and 69 and I guess I need to send in a few and see how they grade those. I just really thought the grading would be the same for all coins. And I did ask are those consider bag marks? Again congrats on the score...............image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    A non-ddr example in the same condition might only get a 65,
    But a coin of this caliber should have a market-type grading curve to it.
    Just add a few points for rarity. And my hunch is not very many will surface
    The 12-20 known number I think was me adding up what I found, and what a couple other folks
    claimed they found I was conversing with that year (2009).

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A non-ddr example in the same condition might only get a 65,
    But a coin of this caliber should have a market-type grading curve to it.
    Just add a few points for rarity.

That is a new view to me. A grading curve for rarity?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

• << <i>Glad you got that DDR graded Will.

image >>

Frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised with 67 either.

If you blow up a quarter to the size of your monitor, any gem is going to look chewed up. The fields on this piece ar exceptionally clean, the luster is booming, and one can imagine if you scaled it down to life-size how many of the marks melt away. I don't think the coin got any gifts for rarity.

If someone thinks their clad MS65 is nicer, then I encourage them to have similar images taken for comparison.
    I sure would appreciate those of you saying you wouldn't be surprised to see it a 67, answer 1tommy's question. I'm in the same boat he is. Seems to be much stricter grading on the early, silver Washies. If that were a '56 Type B, that'd be LUCKY to see a 65. I've had 64's with better looking obverses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file