Home U.S. Coin Forum

So, I picked up a small piece of gold as a favor...

A friend asked me to see if I could find a 1900 $5 gold coin that she could potentially use as jewelry (her original was presumed stolen and it some memories for her, esp. that date). I thought it might take me awhile to get lucky enough to find that exact date in a grade that would make sense (i.e. circulated, not banged up, etc.). But, I have a real hard time buying any coin that has any problems, so I thought this would be a very hard task.

Well, the weekend after our discussion there was a small, local coin show. Wouldn't you know it, I found a 1901, 1902, and bingo....a raw 1900 sitting at one of the last dealer cases I would look at. It was perfect. I phoned my friend and she was happy with the price.

I gave it to her a few days later (of course, she paid me exactly what I paid for it...I had no intention of making a dime on it).

She began having second thoughts about what to do with it. I sort of put it in her head that as a numismatist I would preserve it just as is and never use it as jewelry. A couple days later, I recanted, and said, hey what the heck, she didn't pay a huge premium above melt, do as she pleases...get a bezel and wear it. It's a beautiful piece.

The following week she returned the coin to me and I bought it back for the same amount she paid (I almost always offer a 1-week return policy). She was astounded by my willingness to buy it back for full price and I was proud to buy the coin back.

Well, it's mine now. I can tell you, I'm very happy to own this little piece of dirty gold. I was even surprised to find that it has some luster (more on reverse) around the periphery.

What do you guys think? What do you think the services would grade it (and, I have no immediate plans to send this in, if ever).

imageimage

I like it in this Airtite

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file