Home Precious Metals
Options

Who/What got you interested in pm's and when did you start?

I didn't grow up in a family with any avid or novice coin collectors or PM stackers so I really had to pretty much fall into this myself, and the geographic location I'm in does not have any coin shows within about 2 1/2 hours drive.

In early 1990 (at age 12) , I found a small tin of misc hodge podge of worn buffalo nickels, wheat cents, and a few silver dimes and quarters that my dad accumulated in the 60's-80's. They were neat, but didn't do anything for me as I was into baseball cards hot and heavy (a mistake I'll later regret, I should've bought coins). Well, girls and cardboard got in the way until early 2003, I rediscovered this tin and went thru it to see what was all in there because the last couple of years before that my brother and dad got into metal detecting and found some neat coins/stuff that they shared with me.

In 2004 after buying my first Redbook and finding an antique mall store coin display, I made my first "collector coin" purchase, a 1921-D Merc Dime for $45. I though I was crazy spending $45 for a dime. Then I discovered the US Mint and I started buying stuff hand over fist from there and Ebay. I was ignorant about coins, but I was hooked on buying anything and everything that I liked. I became fond of the early/mid 20th century dimes, quarters, and halves. I had been working a real job for 2 years and had a little disposable income along with my wifes income.

Because I thought they were "neat" (not because they were silver), I started buying rolls of Walkers, Franklins, Merc Dimes, and 90% Washington Quarters for about 4.5-5X face value from ebay. A few months later, by happenstance, I took several of these rolls of 90% silver to my local coin shop to try to trade them for some "collector coins" I just HAD to have. Well, by that time the value of them was about 7X face value. I thought to myself, "dang, I just made some money on these and it's something I like buying and are readily available". From then on, I have been learning, buying, selling, and trading up.

I wish I could say that I still had all of that 5X face value silver, but it is long gone. My cost basis now is a good bit more than that, but the sales of what I had were put to good use throughout my 8 year buying stent and I still have a few nice collector coins that it was traded for.......but, in hindsight, I wish I had the silver.
@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Nice description. Thanks.

For me,
    13 months ago, via a Preppers Audio book on 90%, and now hooked for life.
    COA
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter Schiff's book "Crash Proof" 2006. Best investment advice I ever followed.

One piece of advice I pass on to all that ask is "keep your PM approach separate from your coin collecting."

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    I got tired of my wife and mother-in-law wasting money on gifts that I never used so I told them if they have to buy me something, get me something of value like coins. They did this for a couple of years then they gave up and just started giving me cash. Now my mother-in-law has started stacking as well and she has a pretty good accumualtion of gold and silver. image
    Positive transactions with: dontippet, OPA, pragmaticgoat, chumley, CoinCrazyPA, barrytrot, Robb, InternetJunky, farthing, scrapman1077, bushmaster8, jfoot13, Doogy
  • Options
    I started stacking in the early 90's, the only reason I did was I figured purchasing walkers, Barbers and merc's at 3 times face was to cheap.

As time went on I continued stacking with disposable income and have built up a fairly large stash, in fact I really don't need to buy any more PM's but continue to purchase unusual bars and semi key dates for bullion. The other day I got the following walkers: vg 1919-D, vg1919, vg-f 1920-D, ag 1921-s, f 1927-s, f 1928-s, f-vf 1929-D, f 1929-s, 2-1933-s in vf and a 1946 DDR in vf for $12 each, also got a nice vf SLQ and some barber coins in vg-f. Sometimes they have nice AU mercs for bullion and I will buy them so the thrill is in the hunt.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandmother got me interested in coin collecting in the seventy's. Then in the eighty's I heard about huge government spending and deficits so I bought a few 100 ounces of silver. I got crushed. I shoulda bought the Barracuda instead.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mid 70's with the silver art bars (common ones at bullion $)
    and sold them all in 1980 at 45/OZ then started back buying
    them and rounds in mid 90's, wish I bought more at 5/OZ
    back then!

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    For me it was my grandparents silver stash. This was mid-late 60's. Never really gave it much more thought until I saw an ASE in '92.

2006 was more of a launching point though with the 20th Anniversary Silver set craze.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started in 2002.

It was great timing, not skill on my part, just dumb luck.

From then on, it was easy to see where the price would be going.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inherited some quite valuable coins from my
    grandfather in the 1960's and started buying
    silver bullion's in the early 1970's for about
    $2.00 oz. Have been buying ever since.
    Should have sold in 1980, but kept it.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

I'm not sure of the date but I've always liked PMs because they were worth something just because of the metal content.

I bought a couple of rounds around 2000. Once I remember passing up a silver round because the seller wanted $5 for it and melt was lower than that.

I bought some gold in Dec 2004 - Jan 2005 for about $480 an ounce. I remember life got busy and a few months later the gold price shot up to around $800, so I stopped buying. I thought that was all that gold was going to do.

Then there was a time I was disgusted to pay $5 an ounce over melt for silver rounds. I bought a few for about $18-22 each.

Most recently while I was employed I was buying one ounce of silver each payday. Prices are lower now but I'm convinced silver will go up. I still do not have much but plan on buying more once I get a job.

Yes, I also set aside pre-1982 cents and nickels.

Cheers
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dabbled in a few gold and silver coins in 1979 but had no clue what I was doing. Then like Cohodk jumped into a few hundred ounces of silver in 1981/1982 following that big dip.
    Thought I was getting it cheap at $13/oz. Sold it on the next dip and rebound around $8/oz. Didn't touch gold again except for numismatic coins until 2002.

Read Jim Sinclair's stunning interview in the Rosen Numismatic Advisory in Aug/Sept 2002. Once I heard that there were $200 TRILL of otc derivative junk out there I was pretty
    convinced of Sinclair's call of $1200 gold. Up until then I had never heard of an otc derivative. I started buying $20 Libs and Saints in Sept 2002 at $315/oz gold.

Thanks to Maurice and Jim. Best $48 I ever spent on a subscription. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started collecting coins when I was 4. Started buying scrap in earnest in the 1980s Hunt era when I was 11 or 12 with paper route money. Sat on the sidelines during the great lull of the 1990s, then started stacking like there was no tomorrow in the early 2000s.

Coin collector, metal detectorist, bullion stacker.

My wife just barely kept me from naming my son Argent.

It's either in your blood or it's not.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 7 year old in 1974, I was given an old coffee cup full of junk silver by my grandparents. Started collecting a 20th century type set from the local coin shop about a year later, and then the bicentennial coins hit circulation, and silver started to move, and I bought rolls of silver coins with my allowance and lawnmowing money in 1977 and 1978, sold most of it in 1979, put much of the money to work building a 19th century type set, and pretty much stopped buying coins in 1982 ( after that my disposable cash went to gas, fast food, girls, video games, and beer and smokes)

Fast forward to after college and starting working, made some money in the stock market, resumed working on the type set and buying rolls of silver coins in 1995, really went nuts 1998-2002, then socked it away, got married, bought a house, had a couple kids, and continued to work on the type set infrequently until the present time.

Sold some metal in 2010-2011 but alas, not enough. Still waiting for 2000 gold and 50 silver to sell some junk.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    As a kid, I was always drawn to old and big coins. I started wanting to have a gold Maple Leaf in 1981. My wife surprised me with a 1 troy ounce 1983 China Panda gold in Dec 1984. Got hooked, started slow, gradually accelerating in 1989 and reaching fever pitch before gold and platinum crossed $500. Slowed down due to the higher prices but still can't refuse a really nice coin or deal when I come across one.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I grew up knowing that my dad had a bunch of gold coins.
    Even though I was able to see his collection only a couple of times when I was a kid, I knew that coins may be valuable and definitely interesting.
    I have always saved coins and notes from our trips, I even bought two gold coins as gifts for some friends but never started my own collection.
    Not even when we switched to the Euro. I had all the coins of the first year but that was it, no coin fever.

Then I moved to the US and I started buying the State Quarter sets for my dad, as Christmas gifts.
    Through the US Mint, I received the flyer of the UHR and decided to buy one, as a way to get closer to my dad (my wife was shocked when she found out the price!).
    That was my first "real" coin which made me find this forum. The US Coin Forum first, with the loooong thread about the UHR, but I got hooked with PM down the road.

As Derryb suggested, I try to keep my coin collection (who cares about spot!) separated from my "PMs" (what, one extra cent over melt?!) but sometimes both approaches cross their paths...and it becomes even more fun!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>
    My wife just barely kept me from naming my son Argent.
    >>

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    In 2008 when the housing market crashed/stock market crashed and all the hell broke loose

Part of the decision to buy some gold in the market crash came from my childhood memories what real inflation means. When I was born in late sixties in then USSR my grandparents put one thousand rubbles into government savings account. At the time that was their year worth of earnings for 2 middle-class well educated working people that you could buy 2 soviet-made cars with this sum. 25 years later when I was emigrating to USA in early nineties I was able two buy 2 PAIRS OF SOCKS with entire account.......

So back in 2008 crash I decided to buy a few PM coins just to have something of value in my posession to pass to my kids and knowing nothing about them I bought a few 2008 "W" Buffalos, Gold Eagles and Plat Liberties from the Mint along with a few 2008 W burnished Plat $25 Libs from Apmex at nearly melt price. Next 2009 year I also bought a few UHRs. Needless to say I never regretted those purchases and got hooked onto modern PM "junk" for now image

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Jon Nadler. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting coins in 1962, but didn't get interested in bullion until about 1972 or so. Even then, there wasn't much money so I studied the price rise during the early to mid 1970s, but couldn't really do anything about it. I bought 100 Mexican Onzas in 1974 and I bought my first $20 Saint in about 1977.

The reason I got interested in pms was the same reason that I got interested in coins - the idea that you can store a little bit of choice in the form of a coin or piece of metal and then, years later, you can make that choice. It's like having a little bit of free will stored up for the future. Seems reasonable to me.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started in the late 70's and was mesmerized by the run up of silver. Watched as the market crashed and have never forgot that lesson.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Collected coins as a kid in the mid-80s, then stopped during high school/college. got back into coin collecting when I finished law school and got my first "real" job in 2001. was actively collecting Polish coins and did very well will those. around 2006/2007, still had some silver ASEs and maple leafs which I'd bought in the late 1980s, sold them when silver "doubled" to $10/ounce. later on I lost interest in really actively buying Polish coins, though I kept many of them and they're done well price-wise. around 2008 I started dabbling again in PMs, especially when prices crashed in late 2008 and I could pick up some nice UNC saints for around $1,000/$1,150 and UHRs for a bit more. Have been stacking since then, on and off.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dad has a box of coins growing up, as did grandpa, redbooks in the house from the 50s/60s. Uncle used to carry around a $500 in his wallet. Started slowly pilling things up after college in the 90s off and on.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    it really started in 1997.
    i was still working in retail and always grabbed any silver that came in, had been for years. its what got me started on Washington quarters.
    i was at a garage sale with my dad and there was a book of ASE, all 10 consecutive dates, dont recall what we paid, around melt though. also got an incomplete jefferson nickle book with all the silver nickles for face.
    some would count the ASE proofs as bullion [need 4 dates to complete them]

the B&M was across the street and up until then i had only been in a few times, getting any 1oz silver bars that caught my eye, ususally for $5.
    now they now me by name.

the state quarters really kicked in the collecting & PM intrest.
    after the divorce (i kept everything she didnt steal) i joined here and have learned a tremendous amount!!! THANKS ALL! image

i used the face value silver i had collected and traded up (never "sold" any) as silver passed $25 to complete the washington set and a WLH set. both are complete, but i continue to upgrade both.
    wish i had waited to start trading @ $40!

its was great trading a $10 roll of (silver) quarters for a MS 32D slider.

1/2 dollar roll searches were dry in 2012...
    i've add whenever i can, especially when its was < $30.
    i need more!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from about 1965 to 2002, I accumulated a sizable stash of Morgan & Peace $, which included all the cc's. Got bored about 2002 and slowly started selling off my collection (with a substantial gain). Still dabble in some US Mint issues...especially the reverse proofs graded FS 70 by PCGS. (got them all) But I've been "investing" in PM's ever since. I'm not a doomsday prepper and neither a follower of any PM conspiracy theories and I consider PM's just another commodity in my portfolio to be used in making a profit whenever possible. (If you can't beat them--you know how the saying goesimage)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I started buying at it's highs in the 80's, it crashed then I immediately sold at loss. Bought at it's highs in the 90's, it crashed then I immediately sold at a loss. Bought at it's highs in the 2000's, it crashed then I immediately sold at a loss. 2013 might bring me back into it.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started collecting coins in the early '50's.....did not get interested in PM's until the early '90's. Purchased a great deal during that period, mostly on a gut feel that gold would be a good investment against possible economic disasters. Turns out, I was lucky, bought during a time that - looking back - gold/silver was cheap (compared to the last 8/9 years). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got really interested in pms in 2002 while living just outside of the financial district in NY. Everyone and I mean everyone in a suit was bashing gold. Most didn't know what silver was. They continue to bash pms with even more venom.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    In 1963, our gov't was imploring the public to return coinage to circulation because merchants were short of change to do business. Doing my loyal duty, I turned in all the change I had been saving for a couple of years (just pocket change-but a significant amount). It was in the days of "Ask not what your country can do for you.,..") Right after that came the announcement that silver would no longer be used in circ coins. On the heels of that great personal decision came my decision to enlist to go to Viet Nam. Ahh, the good ol' days of credible gov't. As it slowly sank in on me that I had been duped, in both cases, I began saving any coins with silver content. I really didn't get serious about it until much later, and only recently started "stacking."
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.