Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you have a target number of ounces you're trying to stack?

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
My questions to the group are these...

Do you have a target number of ounces that you are trying to stack?

Do you tend to stay within one PM? or do you stack a little of everything AG AU PT ?

Do you adjust your goal, in terms of ounces, once you reach it, stacking more? or do you adjust it based on a target dollar value of holdings (example say always being sure to keep at least $10,000.00 of PM's at all times and adjusting up or down say monthly give or take)

There is financial advice around suggesting to keep a percentage, usually something on the order of 5-10%, of either your net worth, or your investible net worth, of which those two numbers can vary quite significantly based on a number of circumstances, in PM's. Do you guy's tend to follow this kind of advice?

I guess I always wondered from a stackers perspective if these suggestions come into play or if there is some other general guidline people follow, aside from just what they can afford at the moment.

I'm really talking about longer term core positions I guess, how do most folks here decide what amount to stack and how do cost fluctuations, if you're following the 5-10% rule, effect you and do you adjust?

I have stacked for a while but I have never really had the chance to meet or discuss this much with others and so I guess I'm just curious what you guys have to say.

Thanks

JC

edit for spelling....boy I wish this MB had spell check

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

silver and gold only for me and its random depending on what seems like a good buy at the moment. This past week at the local coin shop I went in to buy a few ounces of silver and he offered me an indian head quarter eagle at melt that had been removed from an earring. It was twice what I had intended to spend that day but he knows me I was all over that.

At melt I'd take something like that over easily found generic 1 0z silver rounds every time. Another guy I stop at sometimes has wedding bands at melt but if he doesn't I'll buy 90%

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny, welcome to the PM Forum. You've asked a set of questions that will take some time to answer and it will also take you some time to absorb those answers, because you will get different perspectives from various posters. I hope you stick around for awhile, and you will get all of the answers you need.

I'll start by saying that I think that the conventional advice of keeping 5% to 10% of your net worth (or investable net worth, either way) in precious metals - is the kind of misdirection that has typically been thrown out by the financial community as a way of keeping the herd in line by casting aspersions on ownership of precious metals, and that anyone offering you that advice isn't doing you any favors.

Any type of investing involves a comfort level and an assessment of risk. Your comfort level & risk tolerance for stocks & bonds vs. gold & silver will be different than someone else's. I consider precious metals to be a prime asset, and cash to be a tool. I think equities have their pluses & minuses, but I think that any bonds are poison right now. Home equity is good and too much personal debt is not.

Some people stack continuously, and some try to time their purchases or even try to buy & sell over time to generate an income from trading. Some people dollar-cost average, and some people do portfolio balancing techniques. Some people start with silver and then diversify into gold and/or platinum as well.

You've asked some good questions! Regards, jmski
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yes, 1/2 as much as SB will make me happy!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, 1/2 as much as SB will make me happy!image >>

That much silver in one spot could disrupt the Earth's rotation. image

For safety sake I am aiming for just 1/10 th of the SB stack. image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a limit on dollars I will hold at one time, the rest goes into my silver savings account.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I have way more silver than gold but have added some more gold to my holdings recently.
    I currently have 15% of my net worth in silver and 2% in gold with a few smaller platinum coins.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Mostly silver some gold. Focused on price in this market. No limit. Hit %10, will continue to buy on dips.
    Will buy speciality items I enjoy or that may have extra value, but base level bullion is the bulk.
    COA
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Target is all of the physical gold extant image

Funds are limiting my ability to achieve that goal
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    As they say, every person's situation is different - age, income, net worth, etc. I personally would like to see most having at least 5 to 10% of their portfolio in PMs that they actually hold versus paper. With that said, I do not think 10% is enough should we have a financial collapse due to our national debt or heavy duty inflation in the next few year years. That 10% of PMs rise in value will not be enough to counter balance the huge drop in the rest of your portfolio will take but at least you will have some protection.

If you believe we are headed for some type of financial disaster, then I would recommend at least 30% in PMs. I have silver and gold but mostly silver. As I have noted in past posts, I purchase silver every week no matter what the price is for the particular day. I have been doing that for more than 5 years.

If you are really curious about how many ounces forum members have here, you may want to do a poll as it is not wise to advertise how many ounces we each hold.

Ken
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends to what theory you subscribe to....Conspiracy theorist? Are you a doomsday prepper? Do you feel that the PM markets are totally manipulated by Big Brother? If so, mortgage your house and build a fall out shelter, stock up on essentials that will sustain you for one year and use your left over fiat currency to accumulate PM's.
    On the other hand if you are an investor, exercising common sense, treat PM's like any other commodity that will have their up and downs. Buy low & sell high or hold for a profit.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No target. If I have some spare cash and a good deal comes along and it's something that appeals to me, then I'm a buyer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>If you are really curious about how many ounces forum members have here, you may want to do a poll as it is not wise to advertise how many ounces we each hold. >>

Understood, 100%. That's why I tried to talk in terms of percentages.

I'm trying to find out: A) Do stackers tend to treat all PM's equally - Thus far, from responses and past post readings, I would say no, that silver is far more popular, though perhaps that is due simply to the obvious price difference.

B) Do stackers use the traditional 5~10% investment rule or do they have their own guidlines. - So far I can't really draw a clear conclusion on this. Seems some have a targeted percentage of PM's they are trying to obtain, others have obtained a significant core amount and either trade/adjust holdings based on their own financial favorablity, or they move towards adding more unique items that are likely to have a much higher premium over basic bullion. The unique bullion items act almost like a special asset class imo, much in the same way collectible coins do, but with a lesser premium over the intrinsic pm value than you have to pay with say with collectable coins.

C) Assuming that there is methodology to a stackers work, if stackers are not following a direct percentage relationship to their net worth, which in my mind would be the idea of protecting yourself during a financial collaspe (understanding of course that the percentages may vary on a person by person basis based on risk tolerance and may not be the traditional 5~10%) then what other basis, aside from a set percentage, do stackers use. - I'm still a little lost for clarity on this one.

To completly put it another way let me create a hyperthetical:

Joe is an average "middle class" american. He has a salary of between $60K ~ $80K. He has a normal house in a typical suburb. His house is worth roughly $225K. He owes some money still on his mortgage, minor consumer debt and the typical routine expenses. Joe is married and has two children.
    Joe has the thought that things are not looking so good in the economy and he decides that in addition to typical retirement savings he wants to put a safety net in place for him and his family in case things really go south through the aquisition of PM's (yes this is where joe is no longer average).
    Joe could be your best friend, your brother-in-law, your cousin. How do you advise joe to stack. What PM's?, How much annually to purchase given his real world constraints? And how much overall? Does he stop, many years out, when he has say 1 x his yearly income or does he keep stacking until he has the equivelent value in PM's to that of his house. Does he reduce his holdings once all his debt obligations are paid, meaning his mortgage and any consumer debt, and he has 6~12 months emergency cash set aside? Does he liquidate a large portion of his PM's to fund the kids college tuition, assuming his own debts are paid off.

These are some of the things that bounce around in my head as I try to understand PM stacking better. Plus I think it's good to have some constructive conversation between like minded people. Some of us could definately benefit from others experiences. Some here have been doing this a very long time and that depth of knowledge is valuable.

Anyway, thanks to all who have responded thus far, I'd really like to hear more of your thoughts. I'm not looking for what anyone is holding but more theory and what if this or that case scenarios.
    I hope this makes sense, it can be hard on a MB to relay your thoughts, questions and ideas.

JC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I acquire/retain gold and silver. My acquisition rates have slowed since I retired and I am very comfortable. Much of my comfort comes from my stacks....image. Now, acquisitions occur when I find an excellent opportunity or I 'find' PM's through research and successful cache hunting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not getting the sense of exceedingly strong demand from this thread.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to own more gold than I can carry any significant distance all by myself in a sturdy box or backpack. Already there with silver.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    To completly put it another way let me create a hyperthetical:

Joe is an average "middle class" american. He has a salary of between $60K ~ $80K. He has a normal house in a typical suburb. His house is worth roughly $225K. He owes some money still on his mortgage, minor consumer debt and the typical routine expenses. Joe is married and has two children.
    Joe has the thought that things are not looking so good in the economy and he decides that in addition to typical retirement savings he wants to put a safety net in place for him and his family in case things really go south through the aquisition of PM's (yes this is where joe is no longer average).
    Joe could be your best friend, your brother-in-law, your cousin. How do you advise joe to stack. What PM's?, How much annually to purchase given his real world constraints? And how much overall? Does he stop, many years out, when he has say 1 x his yearly income or does he keep stacking until he has the equivelent value in PM's to that of his house. Does he reduce his holdings once all his debt obligations are paid, meaning his mortgage and any consumer debt, and he has 6~12 months emergency cash set aside? Does he liquidate a large portion of his PM's to fund the kids college tuition, assuming his own debts are paid off.

It sounds like Joe has a goal of a 4-legged financial stool that includes his salary and future expected earnings, his home equity, his retirement 401k/IRAs (presumably in the stock market/mutual fundds), and increasingly, a position in precious metals. Excellent start. He should probably dollar cost average into the metals to increase his %, but not go crazy nor stop funding the other legs, just allocate new savings into metals until they're in the 10-20% range. It's difficult to make decisions now that are years out, like how to pay for college fo the kids, or whether to sell the other legs to pay off a mortgage (because they might depend on what markets in the sectors are doing at the time) but if you're balanced, all your eggs aren't in one sector basket. You won't make a "killing", but you also won't get killed if one of them suddenly or grindingly falls out of favor. And if that happens, odds are, one of the other legs is getting longer, and rebalancing involves selling (or underallocating new investment money) overperformers and buying (or overallocating) underperformers to rebalance over time.

• Options
    I'm stacking silver mostly, with small purchases of gold.
    I buy when I can get a good deal.
    I'm retired with a comfortable standard of living but that could all go out the window if the dollar goes south.
  • Options

<< <i>Im not getting the sense of exceedingly strong demand from this thread. >>

This is not a personal attack but why do you come into a thread like this and offer nothing of value other than a snide remark?

This guy wants to know what percentage of ones net worth is in PM's and what the breakdown is.

Back to the matter at hand, if I were to advise you what to do I would say do what funds allow you to do. DO NOT mortgage your house to purchase PM's use only disposible income to make said purchases. PM's are insurance against fiat currency and are part of a well rounded investment portfolio which includes real estate, equities, high quality muni bonds for people whose income is on the higher end and a house to live in.

One other thing I would advise if you are preparing for tough times, lots of toilet paper, bottled water, canned or freeze dried food, booze (for barter or personal use), smokes (for barter or personal use), guns and ammo. All of this stuff can be used as barter but if things get that bad the world will not be a good place to try and raise a family.
  • Options
    Simply an observation Yukon. Just an observation. Yours may differ. Thats what makes the world go 'round. You may consider it a snide remark, while I consider it a very accurate assessment.

And for all those who think I dont like PMs, perhaps you should just look at my icon.

• Options

<< <i>Simply an observation Yukon. Just an observation. Yours may differ. Thats what makes the world go 'round. You may consider it a snide remark, while I consider it a very accurate assessment.

>>

I didn't view it as a snide or snarky remark.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMs work not only in tough social times, they are good preparation for tough economic times.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    JC,

I appreciate your quest for knowledge. Stackers tend to be a cagey bunch but I think your questions
    revolve around a common pondering that others are bound to mull over. Who is like me? Do they think like me?
    Are these people a bunch of nut cases? Am I?

Lets face it, it takes some combination of self assurance and perspective to be able to take what most people covet, a stack O benjamins and
    convert it to something shiny you (hopefully) lock away. Something most of those other people cannot wrap their
    heads around (say like my perpetually broke brother-in-law image , take your pick from friends and family.

In the end it has to feel right. Let me share a few things I have learned over the last 9 years. Spot was $9 when I started.

-Before you stack you should have 6 months emergency cash, no credit card debt and be current on finances.
    People come and go around here, if they are not run off as scoundrels then my guess is they partied hard on thier credit card,
    really into it, wanting so badly to build there stack and be a player they charged it all up , or otherwise overspent badly and then have to sell.
    often for less than they paid. The run up to $48 really took a bunch of vocal stackers out of the game. All these people doing anything to acquire
    metal as spot went up and up.
    Don't be those guys. If you stack with extra money then you don't sweat the spot price. If you understand why you are doing this and
    you really think that (In my case Silver) is vastly under priced, then I don't care if I bought 100 oz @ $37 and we are at $31.
    Makes no difference. I do have a lower DCA then some and I get that but I would not care if I was upside down on the whole stack.
    I want ounces right now. period.

I do not use a percentage. I do have a fuzzy "goal" at which point I may slow purchases. My goal is to never sell
    if I do not have to. If the world does not end, great!

I find people are either a collector or a stacker. Sometimes both but always much heavier into one than the other.
    I am a Silver stacker so my list reflects that. I do have gold but it is no more than %10 of the stack. No other metals for me.

1. (as has been mentioned) Only spend EXTRA money that you would otherwise invest or spend on crap.
    2. are you a collector or a stacker? If you buy anything from the US Mint or get excited about low mintage you are trending towards collector
    3. Avoid anything painted
    4. Graded bullion makes no sense to me
    5. I like buying rolls of SAEs and that is my main purchase but I dabble in many world issues for variety so I always throw in Kooks, Pandas, Vienna etc
    The higher premium the less I dabble.
    6. Speaking of premium, if silver hist $100 oz, premium will have disappeared.
    7. Speaking of #6, purists will tell you that is why %90 and APMEX (and the like) 100 oz bars are the only sensible purchase, while basically true, %90
    does not turn my crank and 100 oz bars will be a burden to sell if you really see Ag @ $100 oz IMHO.
    8. A roll of SAEs in your sock drawer is one thing but secure your stack and don't go around talking about it.
    9. Flipping physical makes no sense. If you want to ride spot, trade paper silver. Many do and use profits for physical.
    10. Avoid the pull to go all in or rush to grow a perceived inadequate stack, it smells of a short termer.
    11. You know when1 you've reached stacking enlightenment when you get as excited about spot dropping as you do about
    spot moving higher!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>Lets face it, it takes some combination of self assurance and perspective to be able to take what most people covet, a stack O benjamins and
    convert it to something shiny you (hopefully) lock away. Something most of those other people cannot wrap their
    heads around (say like my perpetually broke brother-in-law image , take your pick from friends and family. >>

Fantastic Post!!!

With respect to converting dollars to PM's you really nailed it. As I mentioned, and I certainly don't want to mislead anyone, I myself am not new to stacking, but more or less have felt alone in my thinking until coming across this board, and the PM threads in particular.

I have tried to explain the benefits, as I see them, to holding some PM's to some of my family members but none will consider even a modest amount of PM holdings as part of their savings/investment/just in case plans. In fact most people I know have been selling off their gold jewelery, mind you the majority of them, at least at the time they were selling, were not desparate for cash, they just don't look at PM's as we do. I have watched people waste excess money on frivolous things, usually, in my opinion, because the money came to them too easily without any hard work. While I've seen others have their "investments" abliderated.

I basically wanted to do, as you implied at the start of your post, a little check to make sure I wasn't going off the reservation in my thinking, as you can begin to doubt yourself sometimes when your the only person going in the other direction. Seeking that confirmation from non-stackers would almost certainly get me classified as being a little "off", or being a paranoid person.

Having stacked for several years now, as a percentage of my total stack (in dollar terms), I'm heavy gold, then silver and have just a very modest amount of platinum. All physical, all secured off site.
    I have no debt. No morgage, no car payments, no credit card balances and though I do use my credit cards regularly, I haven't paid a dime in interest charges for almost ten years, and yes I've kept the same card the entire time too, no cc shuffle going on here.

I don't think of myself as a survivalist or a prepper, but yet I guess I share some of the same concerns with respect to being prepared for the unknown, I just don't follow through with them as far as others might. I'm a supporter of the second amendment and believe in maintaining some ballistic wampum. You'd find wheat berries in my house along with non-gmo seeds and extra food stores, but that's about it for things out of the ordinary.

I have great respect for the knowledge and perspectives of others and, though we may not always drink the same cool-aid, I believe you can always learn something from another person's experience and view point.

Thanks again to those who have shared their thoughts. I thought this was a great thread.

JC

yes ...spelling
  • Options
    I agree with everything carew4me stated, and he stated it very well, although Joe might consider different percentages between the metals but that's mostly a question of preference.

The Mint's collector bullion has been a reasonably good source of low mintage issues in recent years. There are various threads plus Eric Jordan's thread in the Coin Forum that stay on top of some of the more interesting developments in that area. I'm not too big on slabbed bullion either, but I do appreciate a nice low mintage bullion issue in a popular Modern series from time to time.image

After stacking for awhile, you might find that periodically it's a good idea to purge the system of strays and items that no longer fit the general theme.

Another essential consideration is to keep very good records of your cost basis for every piece of bullion that you ever buy. When you get ready to sell, you can mix & match specific assets to allow any losses to offset an equal amount of gains. As time goes by, this becomes more and more important. Remember that any coin you sell without a record of the original cost is assumed to have been obtained at zero cost, which renders the whole amount of the proceeds as taxable, when the whole amount shouldn't be considered taxable.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you have a target number of ounces that you are trying to stack? >>

No, I have a target dollar value. Once my stack reaches that value I will cease and let inflation take over.

<< <i>Do you tend to stay within one PM? or do you stack a little of everything AG AU PT ? >>

Yes, Ag, but only because I can't afford Au and Pt. When my dad used to stack he bought all three.

<< <i>Do you adjust your goal, in terms of ounces, once you reach it, stacking more? >>

No. I adjust based on a target dollar value as mentioned above.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    One more thing, I think a stack should consist of at least 500 and preferrably 1,000 oz. of .999 silver along with at least $500 face in 90% coins.

No use stacking one roll of eagles or one roll of merc dimes as it isn't enough to really matter.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Simply an observation Yukon. Just an observation. Yours may differ. Thats what makes the world go 'round. You may consider it a snide remark, while I consider it a very accurate assessment.

>>

I didn't view it as a snide or snarky remark. >>

Perhaps it wasn't but my impression of him is he likes to come here and post negative remarks about people who believe in stacking some PM's.
  • Options
    I think cohodk is an astute investor who thinks that pms are in a longterm bull market, but he isn't wedded to them. And neither should anyone else be. I think he's on the level with his opinion. Keep in mind that he trades the markets in addition to being a pm investor. He's giving his trading perspective.

Perhaps it wasn't but my impression of him is he likes to come here and post negative remarks about people who believe in stacking some PM's.

He's willing to play devil's advocate, and that's an important contribution to a place like this. If you can refute his observations, we are all better off. My refutation to his point that the responses don't seem to indicate exceedingly strong demand - is that it's a good time to buy when the gold bulls aren't sounding too bullish.image

Responding to the OPs original question about a target number of ounces - why would a specific number of ounces be significant? Are some dollars worth protecting, while other dollars aren't? I think it's all about wealth preservation and asset management.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Great questions and answers. Great input.

I agree with carew4me. Good explaination. And no, you're not going crazy, you're doing the right thing and going about it the right way. It's the ignorant uninformed folks (like carew4me's broke brother-in-law) that think you're crazy until they come asking for money that YOU were smart enough to stack and put away.

Plus, everyone on the PM forum wouldn't be here if they didn't like PMs to some degree, even if some play devil's advocate. We need both sides of the argument. As someone's sigline says, "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking".
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I think every investor has a "target" to reach on investments. Whether it be ozs. stacked, or total monies funded, or purchasing gold/silver/platinum.

Study and learn as much as you can bout gold and silver, so you can make a sound decision that works for you. I agree, don't take a loan to purchase PM's.

• Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JC,

I appreciate your quest for knowledge. Stackers tend to be a cagey bunch but I think your questions
    revolve around a common pondering that others are bound to mull over. Who is like me? Do they think like me?
    Are these people a bunch of nut cases? Am I?

Lets face it, it takes some combination of self assurance and perspective to be able to take what most people covet, a stack O benjamins and
    heads around (say like my perpetually broke brother-in-law image , take your pick from friends and family.

In the end it has to feel right. Let me share a few things I have learned over the last 9 years. Spot was $9 when I started.

-Before you stack you should have 6 months emergency cash, no credit card debt and be current on finances.
    People come and go around here, if they are not run off as scoundrels then my guess is they partied hard on thier credit card,
    really into it, wanting so badly to build there stack and be a player they charged it all up , or otherwise overspent badly and then have to sell.
    often for less than they paid. The run up to $48 really took a bunch of vocal stackers out of the game. All these people doing anything to acquire
    metal as spot went up and up.
    Don't be those guys. If you stack with extra money then you don't sweat the spot price. If you understand why you are doing this and
    you really think that (In my case Silver) is vastly under priced, then I don't care if I bought 100 oz @ $37 and we are at $31.
    Makes no difference. I do have a lower DCA then some and I get that but I would not care if I was upside down on the whole stack.
    I want ounces right now. period.

I do not use a percentage. I do have a fuzzy "goal" at which point I may slow purchases. My goal is to never sell
    if I do not have to. If the world does not end, great!

I find people are either a collector or a stacker. Sometimes both but always much heavier into one than the other.
    I am a Silver stacker so my list reflects that. I do have gold but it is no more than %10 of the stack. No other metals for me.

1. (as has been mentioned) Only spend EXTRA money that you would otherwise invest or spend on crap.
    2. are you a collector or a stacker? If you buy anything from the US Mint or get excited about low mintage you are trending towards collector
    3. Avoid anything painted
    4. Graded bullion makes no sense to me
    5. I like buying rolls of SAEs and that is my main purchase but I dabble in many world issues for variety so I always throw in Kooks, Pandas, Vienna etc
    The higher premium the less I dabble.
    6. Speaking of premium, if silver hist $100 oz, premium will have disappeared.
    7. Speaking of #6, purists will tell you that is why %90 and APMEX (and the like) 100 oz bars are the only sensible purchase, while basically true, %90
    does not turn my crank and 100 oz bars will be a burden to sell if you really see Ag @ $100 oz IMHO.
    8. A roll of SAEs in your sock drawer is one thing but secure your stack and don't go around talking about it.
    9. Flipping physical makes no sense. If you want to ride spot, trade paper silver. Many do and use profits for physical.
    10. Avoid the pull to go all in or rush to grow a perceived inadequate stack, it smells of a short termer.
    11. You know when1 you've reached stacking enlightenment when you get as excited about spot dropping as you do about
    spot moving higher! >>

Well put ! image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

I didn't view it as a snide or snarky remark. >>

Perhaps it wasn't but my impression of him is he likes to come here and post negative remarks about people who believe in stacking some PM's. >>

I dont know if I have ever make a negative remark about anyone. I do like to make people think about what they really write/believe/think. I want to know peoples convictions. If questioning conviction is disparaging, then perhaps I am guilty.

For the record, and I stated this to many people, I do think there is a possibility for $5k gold. But it wont happen when the bulls are fervent like they have been over the last 2 years. Prices over this time speak for themselves. Over the last 2 years all i've heard is gold and silver is good and stocks suck. Well, just look at the tape. Im not condoning either asset, just pointing out that investor psychology plays a MUCH LARGER role than any other "fundamental". Learn how to read investors and you've learned how to beat the market(s)...all of them.

• Options
    To the OP.....dont start to think of how much money you could make by buying PMs. I've dealt with over 1000 investors and without fail, whenever they start counting chickens, the incubator breaks. Always.

• Options

<< <i>Im not getting the sense of exceedingly strong demand from this thread. >>

The three dealers up here who handle quite a bit of bullion indicated this weekend at the coin show in Fargo that they are extremely low on silver bullion while their supply of gold is adequate. In fact each of them are short 90% silver to fill orders by 10 or more $1,000 bags each, their supply of 1 oz. and 10 oz. bars are also very low compared to usual and their supply of silver dollars are nearly depleted. I talked to one of the dealers today at his shop and he said that he sold much of his gold bullion (so I guess his gold bullion is also tight now) along with quite a bit of his generic 1 oz. rounds at this weekends coin show. Is this unique to where I live, perhaps it is but I can only report what I have been told so don't shoot the messenger.

Perhaps I have misjudged him so I guess I will just accept that he is the devil's advocite and ignore what he has to say. Opinions are like ******** everbody has one, myself includedimage
  • Options
    if a dealer is low on inventory, how come they don't buy some more? it's not like it's not out there.

in your local dealers' cases, it's just not right here

Now if you come on here and tell us they can't find any to buy at any price that's a different story

• Options
    Perhaps I have misjudged him so I guess I will just accept that he is the devil's advocite and ignore what he has to say

Interesting. I think ignoring a differing opinion is called arrogance.

To the OP----- Buy as much as YOU feel comfortable with. There is no "right" amount. Only you know your situation and risk tolerances. This advise from someone who used to advise investments. Take it for what its worth.