Home Precious Metals

NewP Keiffer Silver Bar - Who has any info about these?

Just bought this bar for a pretty low premium at the LCS. Does anyone know what sort of premium they normally carry? I can't find too many on the bay. Thanks

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just bought this bar for a pretty low premium at the LCS. Does anyone know what sort of premium they normally carry? I can't find too many on the bay. Thanks

image >>

Not familiar with that bar, but I suspect the premium is not much over melt. Do a completed auction search on eBay to get an idea.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

not to distract from the point of the thread, but ........... am I alone in noticing ebay won't show completed auction listings until at least 12 hours after they end ?

Also on buy it nows where a best offer has been accepted I can't see what the offer was anymoreimage
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>not to distract from the point of the thread, but ........... am I alone in noticing ebay won't show completed auction listings until at least 12 hours after they end ?

Also on buy it nows where a best offer has been accepted I can't see what the offer was anymoreimage >>

I did not know about the 12 hr delay, but noticed the BIN's with BO no longer let you know what it was.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bar.

As far as premium, not too much over spot. Keiffer doesn't have much of a following with bar collectors. Myself I am not too fond of bars with unusual (not whole number) weights.
  • Your Keiffer is a nice example. Congrats image
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • That last post slipped out of my hands before I could finish...

Keiffer does have a good following of collectors. This recent 1oz example is exceptionally rare and fetched about 6x spot. It's the only Keiffer I've seen in an even weight denomination... as OGIM mentions they are nearly all odd weight.

1oz Keiffer Bar

And this 5.82oz bar went for nearly 2x spot:

5.82oz Keiffer Bar
    “Be so good they can't ignore you.” — Jerry Dunn
  • Bumping this thread back up. Was in my SDB and found this bar again. Checked ebay and a 4.94 oz bar sold for over $700 with 30+ bids. What is going on with prices? Any thoughts on what my example might bring?

https://www.ebay.com/i/263411994924

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Schultz24 said:
    Bumping this thread back up. Was in my SDB and found this bar again. Checked ebay and a 4.94 oz bar sold for over $700 with 30+ bids. What is going on with prices? Any thoughts on what my example might bring?

https://www.ebay.com/i/263411994924

Was it intentional that you bumped this thread 5 years to the exact date since your last post on it? If not that is crazy.
    Anyways if you only paid a low premium might as well no reserve Ebay it like the last auction. If it brought the same amount $70 an ounce would be a really good return! I would guess $980.

Also your link doesn't work:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-4-94-T-OZS-KEIFFER-SILVER-BAR-POURED-999-FINE-INGOT/263411994924?hash=item3d5494112c:g:oU0AAOSwCJxaSD5A

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the silver bar market.... except for a few art bars I have (Secretariat and Mother's Day type bars). I stick with coins for stacking... Good luck with your bar, seems like you bought at a good price/time. Cheers, RickO

• Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭
    edited January 27, 2018 9:30AM

MorganMan, thanks for the link update. Didn't realize the date when I bumped it, that is crazy!! I'm not selling, just was surprised at that last sold bar and was wondering if anyone knew something about it that I didn't. I'm not a bar collector either, I think it is my only poured bar. It was just a neat old poured bar and at a good price, so I jumped at it. Looks like I got lucky on it!

• I'm a rare bar collector and it's a crazy market. Some stuff goes for insane money, some does not. And smaller bars usually have much premium then larger bars. So that 5 might be a $700 bar but a 10 might only $800. Maybe the refiner made far fewer 5s than 10s. Worthpoint dot com is a good site to gauge rarity of a bar. There are 10,000 Engelhard listings there but only 50 or so Keiffer. Careful about the free trial and then auto billing your credit card. I have a membership myself and find the historic price history very useful.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool bar! Congrats. :)

• ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

My local coin shop has a few 25 oz Keiffer silver bars and was curious if you guys have idea what they might be worth? Thx

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2019 4:41PM

25 x spot - 25 ...

Interesting why wouldn’t they give you a price? ..,

keceph `anah
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:
    25 x spot - 25 ...

If you are saying spot minus 25 cents then you’re way off RT. I know they have a pretty good premium, just not sure how much?

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zubie said:

@rawteam1 said:
    25 x spot - 25 ...

If you are saying spot minus 25 cents then you’re way off RT. I know they have a pretty good premium, just not sure how much?

I think he was saying this is what a typical coin shop dealer would offer.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.