Home U.S. Coin Forum

1861-1865 seated liberty silver dollars

I know these coins are extremely rare so is it worth buying cleaned coins for my collection?
I am interested in 1861-1865 U.S. Coins.

Comments

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    No. They're hard to find but they're definitely out there. You'll almost certainly regret it in the long run if you buy a cleaned example as they're very difficult to sell.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would know best what you prefer, what you can afford, what you can live with and what your patience dictates.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. They're hard to find but they're definitely out there. You'll almost certainly regret it in the long run if you buy a cleaned example as they're very difficult to sell. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a coin I want that I couldn't otherwise afford, I would go with cleaned *provided the price is right*.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in the crown that I would rather pass on a coin that has problems , even if it meant not owning it.

Now for folks that buy R-7 R-8 and higher type coins I can see where this may be the only thing available, then you have too. A friend of mine collects rare draped bust halves and sometimes this is the only thing available.

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    If a cleaned coin is at a good price, I would buy it and love it.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it actually still looks nice and not like it was cleaned with a brillo pad AND is priced correctly, go for it. Do not pay top quality prices for cleaned.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't become addicted to filling holes with ugly coins! That's one of the worst addictions in coin collecting. You will never be fully satisfied with your collection.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends upon your hobby budget and what you are prepared to spend. Back when I had less money I bought an 1861 Proof dollar that had been cleaned. The sharpness of the coin pleased me for the time that I owned it, which was over ten years. It had smooth surfaces, but it had been stripped to the point where the Proof mirrors were gone. When I could afford a better one I bought it and sold the cleaned Proof. I sold the coin raw to a fairly large dealer and made a decent return on it.

Cleaned coins are not the great sin that people make them out to be IF you pay a price that commensurate with the problem. The difficulties come in you pay the price of an unimpaired piece for a problem piece. If you can't afford the "perfect" coin and can live with the less than perfect one, buy you what you can enjoy and afford. Just know what you are getting into.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    They are tough coins but if you pursue them, they can be found. In the past 12 months I have purchased both am 1865 and 1865 in PCGS good 4 CAC for less than 500 each.
  • While most will pass on harshly cleaned coins, almost all Seated coins have been dipped or rubbed, or put in oil or acetone or something at some point in their lives. Some will start arguing that certain actions are conservation and others are deception--have at it. If a person has unlimited funds, unlimited time, better coins, more original looking coins can be had. As time and budget become more constrained, more compromises are made, especially for Seated and other older coins.

If a person does decide to buy lesser coins, go in with eyes open. In other words, don't pay retail prices for messed with coins. Many dealers will ask for that, even when the same dealers often make lowball offers, when collectors try to sell the coins back to them.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes cheap for a problem coin is not cheap enough.

• << <i>While most will pass on harshly cleaned coins, almost all Seated coins have been dipped or rubbed, or put in oil or acetone or something at some point in their lives. Some will start arguing that certain actions are conservation and others are deception--have at it. If a person has unlimited funds, unlimited time, better coins, more original looking coins can be had. As time and budget become more constrained, more compromises are made, especially for Seated and other older coins. >>

Last sentence held true for me. It was really hard to build seated sets (dimes, quarters and halves) without making a lot of compromises.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are pictures of the 1861 impaired Proof dollar I owned at one time. The pictures were taken with a 35mm slide camera back in the 1980s which is why they look wierd. I think I got $1,100 for this piece I sold it to a dealer years ago.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    avoid cleaned if you can as they are hard to sell, but if your collecting, should be ok
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    go with proof if you can afford them, not as hard to find.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You would know best what you prefer, what you can afford, what you can live with and what your patience dictates. >>

<< <i>Cleaned coins are not the great sin that people make them out to be IF you pay a price that commensurate with the problem. The difficulties come in you pay the price of an unimpaired piece for a problem piece. If you can't afford the "perfect" coin and can live with the less than perfect one, buy you what you can enjoy and afford. Just know what you are getting into. >>

TomB and BillJones both hit the nail squarely on the head with their advice.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file