Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone ever get jealous?

Does anyone ever see someone's collection, and then get jealous they don't have the money to have such a nice collection?
www.coinswithhistory.com

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    No.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    yes I become envious of some peoples collection BUT I am happy for what I do have
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The great thing about the US is that everyone has the opportunity to make more.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone? Of course.

Do I? No.
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone ever see someone's collection, and then get jealous they don't have the money to have such a nice collection? >>

No.

I get jealous of the people who are spending LESS money and getting nicer coins.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    No. Well yes, kinda, when I see Boiler78 or Cardinal post coins.
  • Options
    Yes. all the time. I am a very frugal spender.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. Well yes, kinda, when I see Boiler78 or Cardinal post coins. >>

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Na thats what keeps me looking. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    More envy than jealousy.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jealous, No, awe struck, yes sure, at times.

JC

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They say the grass is greener on the other side.
    imageimage
    ... and I agree.
  • Options
    Yes, but keep it quiet!image
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but I love seeing photos of Lincolns that people buy. I'm most impressed by strong strikes regardless of color.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    No. What benefit would it bring?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone ever see someone's collection, and then get jealous they don't have the money to have such a nice collection? >>

Sure. Happens to me all the time.

I've learned to enjoy numismatics within my own means, though. Having a small budget is just a challenge to buy smarter and enjoy what you've got more.

Jealousy is an understandable human emotion sometimes, but it's a waste of time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone? Of course.

Do I? No. >>

Ditto.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not. I enjoy the hobby, and always have since I was 6 years old. I love looking at coins, whether it be in my own collection, or that of someone else.

• Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    When I was a teenager, just getting started with my collection, my "mentor" had a Bust half set consisting
    of mostly AU to Uncirculated coins. I had a single Bust half that graded Fine. Jealous is probably the wrong
    word for the emotion, since we associate it in a negative way, but yes, I really wanted to eventually own a
    set like that. Still don't, although when he died and his collection was auctioned by his heirs, I managed to
    scrape the funds together to buy one coin.

I will always keep that coin in memory of him. Plus, it is the nicest silver coin from the 1820's that I own.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I leaf through a Stacks catalog.....every time.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure I'd like to own coins like Boiler, Cardinal and Trade Dollar Nut have, but they are out of my reach. Instead of MS and PR-65+ pieces I have AU coins. It is just a matter of money. I have more resources than most people, but nothing like those three collectors.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes seek out the things you want ?" ... when you put it that way, envy becomes almost filthy. a coin collection shows the beauty of the coins, what it doesnt show is the sacrifices and hard work of the owner
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

Not really, I'm content with my collection.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They say the grass is greener on the other side.
    imageimage
    ... and I agree. >>

Looks like that new verdigrass to me!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a little jealous of the person who bought your coin for 20 bucks, but I am OK now. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really of anyone else's coins or piles of cash because that is silly. But sometimes of the opportunities or temporary setbacks, sure.

Example: A friend sends in 16 coins to PCGS. I am unable to do that right now so I am super excited for him but a little tiny bit jealous as well. For me this is just temporary and I am sure I will be able to send things in to PCGS soon enough.

Another example might be when a friend goes to a great show or Cherrypicks a coin at a show. I'm very excited for him but a little jealous of the timing and opportunity. I might go to that "Great Show" next year etc...or Cherrypick something at the next show I go to. Just temporary and no big deal.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I ever get jealous reagarding coins? Absolutely not. Never.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was a little jealous of the person who bought your coin for 20 bucks, but I am OK now. image >>

To answer the question: Nope, never.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a jealous bone in my body. This actually works against me sometimes. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭✭
    The day I become jealous of someone else's coin collection is the day I will quit collecting. This hobby is fun, and I am most appreciative of what others have, even if it is true that I can never dream of owning similar items.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jealous, no .... envious - absofriggenlutely. Would pay real money just to see the Pogues' collection
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, not at all
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I cannot say that I get jealous, but I sure am amazed at what a few people can manage to collect. Check out this set from Dale Friend. Most all coins have TrueViews.

Dale Friend Early Half Dollar Set
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I get jealous of missed opportunities to buy a target.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No even if I had enough money to put together a set like Friends I probably would not put the funds into coins. I like the idea of collecting coins that fit my comfort zone.
    Those ideas would only change if I hit Mega millions and went on a binge.image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>jealous, no .... envious - absofriggenlutely. Would pay real money just to see the Pogues' collection >>

TDN, I'd pay real money just to see your definition of real money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file