Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm Back! Time for a giveaway!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID! image

So lets have a giveaway in honor of my unbanning. Winner will be randomly selected on Sunday night.
BUT! You have to answer this question correctly in order to be eligible.

In what month were the 1793 Liberty Cap cents minted? And WHY was mintage halted shortly therafter? (the second answer is actually not numismatic related, but history related)

The winner will get this lovely dime! It is raw but I grade it G6.

Lets get it on!
Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September 1793, historical event the yellow fever outbreak???
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with September 1793 and the reason production being stopped was due to the death of the chief engraver from the Yellow Fever Epidemic.

not a particularly easy answer to find. image
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I have to answer September 1793, Yellow fever outbreak, also.

I see Sept 1793 and Yellow Fever outbreak will be the consensus.

Thanks for the opportunity!

edited, as it'll be a random drawing of correct guesses.
    I'll come up with something.
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we expect less posts ATS?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Sept 1793
    Yellow fever
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭
    I PMed my answer. Middle of September is when the 1793 Cap Cents were delivered. Shortly thereafter the mint was closed due to the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1793 (which eventually took the life of the Mint's engraver Joseph Wright and his wife if I remember correctly).
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I get a prize for being first?
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September 1793 Yellow Fever
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back,,

you gonna behave this time???

September 1973

Fever epidemic
  • TCoinsTCoins Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Sept and Yellow Fever
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um...September? Yellow fever?
    Lance.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say April 1st and Beaver fever. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

I repeat:September 1793 and yellow fever.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I repeat:September 1793 and yellow fever. >>

Me too!
  • CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    Sept 1793 and Yellow fever.
    Thank you for the contest!

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya image

Hoard the keys.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Sept 1793
    Stopped due to Yellow Fever
    Thx
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Sept 1793
    Yellow fever......
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Sept 1793
    Yellow fever
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    On September 18, 1793 came a single delivery: 11,056 pieces, Yellow Fever.

DURING JOSEPH WRIGHT’S LAST MONTH of life, before he succumbed in one of Philadelphia’s then annual yellow fever epidemics, he designed a new style of cent, deriving at some distance from Dupre’s LIBERTAS AMERICANA medal though with head facing right. This head is more delicate in detail than any earlier or later ones; the cap shows behind her, the pole along bust line. For reverse Wright drew a simple two-branch olive wreath, the fraction below. This famous Liberty Cap design was to be copied successively by Robert Scot, J.S. Gardner and others, this style of wreath persisting on cents through 1807 and later recopied on the UNITY STATES cents dated 1783 but struck between 1810 and 1820.
    Three obverse dies and two reverses were completed, between late July and early September 1793, the heads from a single hub (containing head and cap but no pole), the pole, letters, numerals and border beads on both sides added by hand, the wreath being constructed from individual leaf and berry punches. Planchets are broader and thinner than any heretofore, so that the coins ring better than Chains or Wreaths.

On September 18, 1793 came a single delivery: 11,056 pieces, The true sequence of varieties is controversial, but at least we can say that the famous Bisecting Break, S-14 (C.1.3L) came first, the S-15 (C.14K) last, the others in between with several back-and-forth intermulings. Both reverses gave way in center, Reverse K almost immediately, obliterating ONE CENT. This fact makes many of these look more worn than they actually are. Only a little over 2% survive in all, possibly eight in AU or better, none in full Uncirculated, the vast majority badly worn. These are the most prized of all large cents. (S-numbers indicate large cent varieties, 1793-1814, described by William H. Sheldon in Penny Whimsy, N.Y., Harper & Bros., 1958 and later reprint.)
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jelember
    Polka Dot Fever.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Well, this giveaway frenzy went down in a quick hurry... everybody tango!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Let me see ... could it be September 1793 and Yellow Fever?

I'm feeling a bit puny myself ...
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    September of 1793. The reason why the coin stopped being minted is... well, Yellow fever.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Sept 1793
    Yellow fever
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September 1793, Yellow fever

thx for the chance!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto What the correctly answred guy said!

Welcome back!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    September of 1793
    Outbreak of that dreaded mosquito borne illness, yellow fever.
    Paul
  • What everyone else said: Sept 1793. Yellow Fever.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What everyone else said: Sept 1793. Yellow Fever. >>

This. If only they had more cowbell.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we all get a piece?
  • HCumberdaleHCumberdale Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    Well I guess I'll just have to go with:
    Sept 1793
    Yellow Fever

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sept 1793
    Yellow fever
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Sept 1793, Yellow Fever. Welcome back!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok it was September 1793 and I forget the day but the time was 4:17 PM and it was yellow fever

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Septiembre y un brote de fiebre amarilla

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back... September 1793, and yellow fever.

Aside to LALASD4...that's the coolest chicken ever. When I was a kid our neighbor raised some fancy chickens like that. One type looked much like yours- another had a skinny black feathered body and a huge tuft of white feathers around its head, obscuring its eyes with only the beak sticking out. He called it a Polish -something or other- I can't recall specifics.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Ankur
    Sept 1793
    Yellow fever
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Answer is already given, but welcome back! Is Quartercollector back too?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I'll answer like everyone else...Sept 1793 and yellow fever.

Thanks for the giveaway!
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Sept and Yellow Fever
  • DCAMDCAM Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back.

September 1793, Yellow fever

Thanks for the chance!
    Buy More Coins!!
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in!

September 1793 Yellow Fever
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September.
    Killer yellow fever epidemic.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in!

September 1793 Yellow Fever >>

I will go along with the common answer,and Welcome Back!!!!
    Trade $'s
  • My Gut says.....Sept 1793 yellow fever .. that or my Wendys chili is on the warpath
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Wish I knew the answers!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Ankur! Let me throw out a wild guess. 9/93 & the yellow fever...???????

Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Ankur! Let me throw out a wild guess. 9/93 & the yellow fever...???????

Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file