Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver or gold

which is better to invest in bullion coins? Or buy some of both? And good places to buy

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Silver has a great potential. Gold has a great history.
    I would mix them both and add some Platinum if found at a fair premium over spot.

Besides your local B&M, you can try the BST forum or Apmex, ProvidentMetals, Gainesville, Goldeneaglecoin.
    For bigger purchases, Tulving is among the best.

Don't forget to show us pics! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when used as an investment be sure to figure in other factors such as premiums, storage, volatility and shipping both directions. I prefer paper metals (ETFs) for investment purposes because of ease and quickness of getting in and getting out. I prefer physical metal for longer term storage of my savings to protect me from dollar destruction and inflation. Much has been said about silver having more potential for gains than gold, but keep in mind that silver is much more volatile in price swings. I personally prefer silver eagles.

Before investing in precious metals be sure to learn a lot about them and also develop a good understanding of what affects their price.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Gold is my choiceimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25% St Gaudens PCGS MS 64 or higher
    50% ASE
    25% Cash image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    while I like the old gold isn't that more collecting than bullion? I was thinking of starting slow with maybe a silver eagle and maybe a $5 gold eagle.

• Options
    bullion graded by a major grading co. offers the advantage of being certified as authentic. This could be a plus many years down the road as gold becomes more expensive and attracts more counterfeiters. American gold eagles in MS69 can be had for not much more than ungraded gold eagles.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>which is better to invest in bullion coins? Or buy some of both? And good places to buy >>

Key word mentioned: Invest:
    Both. But well thought out, and carefully... very carefully

Need to learn more.. about this before going to deep, but a worthy avenue to explore.

This forum has great resources and good folk.
    COA
  • Options
    When you say "invest" it is like anything else, if you buy low you will be able to sell high.

I view silver and gold as an insurance policy against fiat currency which over the years has appreciated nicely for me but don't just assume that you can enter the game at any point in time and make a killing, timing is huge.

I think the best argument going forward over the next several years for owning PM's is the uncertainty over the debt and the amount of money being printed to service the debt, this is what fiat currency is all about an endless stream of fiat produced to keep the charade going.

There is a slight possibility that this ponzi scheme will keep going unabated forever but anyone who has studied history knows how this all will end and for those with no PM holdings it will not be good.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>while I like the old gold isn't that more collecting than bullion? I was thinking of starting slow with maybe a silver eagle and maybe a $5 gold eagle. >>

Gold and silver eagles would be a fine way to start. The 1/10ths can start to add up after a while if you have a budget/schedule in mind for allocation.
  • Options
    Another thing I've been doing lately is unloading most of my expensive coins from my coin collection and buying bullion along with paying off loans.

I look at how many expensive coins there are out there and how readilly available they are and can't help but wonder if times get tough who in their right mind is going to want to purchase a 1909-svdb penney for $2,000, a worn out 1916-D dime for $1,000 or an MS-70 PL UHR for over $10,000???image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>25% St Gaudens PCGS MS 64 or higher
    50% ASE
    25% Cash image >>

that works
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when used as an investment be sure to figure in other factors such as premiums, storage, volatility and shipping both directions. I prefer paper metals (ETFs) for investment purposes because of ease and quickness of getting in and getting out. I prefer physical metal for longer term storage of my savings to protect me from dollar destruction and inflation. Much has been said about silver having more potential for gains than gold, but keep in mind that silver is much more volatile in price swings. I personally prefer silver eagles.

Before investing in precious metals be sure to learn a lot about them and also develop a good understanding of what affects their price. >>

To add to what derry said it also depends on how much money you have to invest. I am no means wealthy but stacking physical silver does take some space, especially in a SDB while gold takes very little. I say if you have the space and plan on staying awhile to go with silver as I think it will do better long term the next 10 years. If you don't have the space and are on the move a lot I would go with gold.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto what's already been said.

If just starting out, the silver and gold American Eagles probably have the best liquidity in the US market, so I'd utilize them. They should also have competitive buy-sell spreads under most market conditions. Starting slowly is a very good approach, and I do agree with keeping some cash aside as well.

I would add Silvertowne and Scotsman Coins to the list. Also, since some supplies of many items may be tight, at the time of your order you should ask what the delivery turnaround time will be on any order.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I like both!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both gold and silver are good as a hedge against fiat dollars....a lot of good advice above, the main thing is to study the subject so when acquiring you make sound decisions. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I use the 50:1 rule when determining whether to buy gold vice silver. Currently 50 X 30.44 = 1522 which is lower than 1623 (current spot price of gold); therefore, I would buy silver.

As for where, I would look to buy at a local coin show, in order to avoid shipping fees. For large purchases go to Tulving.com
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like both! >>

Watched "Radio" with the kids last night, and was thinking the same thing: "I like both." image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    Thanks for the great advice, think I will start out with buying some 2013 silver eagles.
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Besides your local B&M, you can try the BST forum or Apmex, ProvidentMetals, Gainesville, Goldeneaglecoin.
    For bigger purchases, Tulving is among the best.

Modern Coin Mart has bullion now AND FREE SHIPPING !
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the great advice, think I will start out with buying some 2013 silver eagles. >>

If your looking to invest in silver, that would be a bad choice. Right now there is an extra premium on 2013 SAEs, buy 2012s or earlier, they'll be cheaper.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ASE prices varying for different years at APMEX, shop around for best prices. Date really doesn't matter to most buyer unless its a 1999 MS70.