Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection (old index thread, 2013-16)

13»

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I like the new addition.

Now that you have a bigger box are you going to expand to 25?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Rob, As long as you ask our permission first, when selling one of your coins from the box of 20 (or 25)
    There is no problem.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    When did PCGS or NGC start having boxes with 25 slots? How 'bout two boxes then?
    Paul
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Aethelred

I like the new addition.

Now that you have a bigger box are you going to expand to 25?

I do now have a 25-slot box (one of the aluminum ones with clasps and a clear top), because it fits inside my safe deposit drawer (which the old 20-slot wooden one in my banner picture did not, due to its domed top). Mostly I got the 25-count box just to have room for a few extra slots to use during upgrades and transitions. I have no intention of expanding beyond 20 coins right now (I can barely afford to upgrade the existing pieces as it is!)

Originally posted by: pmac

When did PCGS or NGC start having boxes with 25 slots? How 'bout two boxes then?

I don't think they have. But of course the original "Box of 20" concept came from people who were using the standard PCGS/NGC plastic boxes.

If I ever do expand, it'll likely be to two boxes of 20, as you suggest. One for NGC-holdered coins (mostly ancients), and the other for PCGS coins (medieval and modern). Then I can register each Box of 20 as a "signature" or "custom" set in the PCGS and NGC Registries.

But that'll be a while yet, if it ever happens.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Two go out:

German States (Saxony) silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E

Canada: gold 100-dollars proof of Elizabeth II, Canadian Unity commemorative, 1978

And two come in:

Guatemala, silver quarter-real, 1898

Germany (Imperial): silver half-mark, 1916-A

This is a significant downgrade in numismatic value, as the two new additions together cost me barely a hundred dollars, while the two that went away cost over nine hundred dollars together (mostly due to the half-ounce of gold bullion value in the Canadian coin).

There was a reason for this: it was time for me to finally get a proper dSLR camera and accessories for coin photography, which is something I've procrastinated over for a decade.

So while I sacrificed quite a bit of dollar value in my collection, I don't think I sacrificed very much in eye appeal or grade. And the camera setup is a longterm "investment".

As of this post, I've got some coins off at PCGS for grading, so these two new additions are temporary "stopgap" pieces to fill out the set while it's in transition.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the newps - well done!
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the 1/2 marks myself, and have a the complete series (except for the one key). Yours is a good example for the grade. It has smooth fields and good depth in the details. A lot of these, even high grade, 1/2 marks will have rougher, grainier surfaces on them.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want BOTH of those newps! image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    My current favorite in Rob's box is his Pilgrim commem. Superb for its grade!

I was also surprised to see that you still own the Terner half sovereign, it brings back memories.

As for the concept, wether it's a box if 20-30 or more, in my opinion the collectors who are able

to make the psychological leap of parting with their coins are the ones most likely to advance.

I've seen and met so many collectors who just can't part with anything they own even if their life depended on it,

and on the other hand I've met a lot of collectors on the opposite side of the spectrum,

where the thing they enjoy the most is quick purchases and sales. I like to believe that I belong somewhere in between these two.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SYRACUSIAN

My current favorite in Rob's box is his Pilgrim commem. Superb for its grade!

I was also surprised to see that you still own the Terner half sovereign, it brings back memories.

As for the concept, wether it's a box if 20-30 or more, in my opinion the collectors who are able

to make the psychological leap of parting with their coins are the ones most likely to advance.

I've seen and met so many collectors who just can't part with anything they own even if their life depended on it,

and on the other hand I've met a lot of collectors on the opposite side of the spectrum,

where the thing they enjoy the most is quick purchases and sales. I like to believe that I belong somewhere in between these two.

I've had that Terner half-sovereign over a decade now, which is an extremely long time by my standards. Because it was initially part of the collection I was building for my daughter, it survived the vicissitudes of the rest of my collection, even the 2008 layoff which forced me to wipe out most of my original Roman collection.

I live somewhat on the razor's edge with little or no savings (this set IS my savings, in a way), so I'm more vulnerable to financial brushfires than other people who are more disciplined and smarter with their money. This sort of thing has caused a dent in my collection a time or two. But the fires have also been cleansing, so in an odd way my overall collection has benefitted, much like an occasional forest fire can be healthy in a natural ecosystem.

With the exception of two coins I've kept since childhood, my collection has been completely wiped out and rebuilt at least three or four times in the last forty years, but each time, it arises from the ashes like a phoenix, slightly better than before (at least in my opinion).

Learning material detachment has been a valuable lesson for me. I still get attached to certain coins, but my grip is perhaps not as tight as that of other collectors. After all, it isn't like I'll be taking the coins with me into the afterlife, whatever that holds. But while I'm here, I do enjoy them.

PS- speaking of attachment and detachment, you'll note that one of my top three favorites in the present collection is the Aethelred II penny. It is member Aethelred's onetime "signature" coin- his very namesake. I admired that coin in his collection for 19 years before it became mine, and I am likely to hang onto it for at least as long as he did.