Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box of 20" Collection (old index thread, 2013-16)

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno if I will sell the 3-cent piece or not. I'm into it for retail money, pretty much, as I am most of this stuff, so it isn't always easy to sell. I've got one of my periodic cashflow pinches going on at the moment so I figured I'd dangle it out there, and if it sold, fine, and if not, fine. I have one offer on it but that's below my cost. So it may not sell, which is OK with me. I'm just as happy to keep it. I'll just have to scratch up a little dough some other way.

(Say, speaking of cashflow, mkman123- did you get my check in the mail yet?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>LordM, really enjoy your writeups. Are your going to writeup on what will replace the 3 cent silver your selling and the decision in doing so? Be interesting to know image >>

At the time, I didn't replace that 3cS with anything except gas and bill money. I sold it at a small loss when I was in a bit of a cash crunch, but it got me through a very lean week. That's one thing about US coins: I'm usually a bit less sentimentally attached to them, and they're usually more liquid, so they tend to be the first to be sold when I get myself in a bind and need a quick buck.

But now, a few months later, you could say I replaced that with another three-cent piece: this 3cN. Design-wise, I like the 3cN's a tiny bit more than the 3cS's. And I like 19th century proofs. So I traded silver for nickel, but went from MS to proof, and gained a grade point. For exactly the same price. I think this one has near-Cameo contrast. The price was right, too. I got it for slightly less than PR63 trend price.

This thread is long overdue for some updating. As of this post there are several sold coins still showing above, and several additions not yet there. Plus some of the existing pieces have now been crossed from NGC and ICG to PCGS (with good results) and TrueView images. Though the grades are back on that submission and I now have the TrueViews, I have to wait until they're back home so I can get the new slab and label images before I update everything above.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Finally got this main thread updated with this spring and summer's new additions, and the transition of many previously owned pieces into PCGS slabs with TrueView images.

As of this posting, not all of the subthreads have been updated with the new pictures and grades.

Sure is a lot of work. Good thing my collection is only 20 coins.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

So here we are at the late-October update.

Two old friends go away:

And three new additions come in:

Yes, that makes 21 coins, so another one will be leaving. The German Hesse-Darmstadt coin above is sort of holding a place in the box until the other two newps get slabbed. Then I'll decide which coin will be leaving. (I never thought I'd consider a 19th century MS67-graded coin a "filler", particularly as it has the highest technical grade in my collection. But it happens to be the least expensive in the box.)

The set has become rather more "modern" recently, and less ancient. And rather heavy on 19th century coins (with three from the 1860s. Hmm.)

In due time I will pick up some other ancients again, but they will likely be higher grade pieces in keeping with the idea of this being a slabbed set.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭
    Interesting swap for your box. Like that gold piece and the kreuzer is just a little gem. It's interesting to see how your box has evolved over time: from strictly ancient to a more modern slant. What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You are not lying when you say it is eclectic!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Two very old friends are going away.

And new friends are always joining the box, as things get shuffled around.

The double-struck 1782 Irish halfpenny is being returned. Not because I was in any way dissatisfied with the deal, but since it turns out it's an 18th century counterfeit, it isn't slabbable (even though it's still collectible and worth something). So it's not the best fit for my slabbed set, and I'll be exchanging it for something else, possibly another colonial-era copper I have my eye on from the same seller, who has been easy to deal with and offered a no-hassle return.

• Options
    Wow, really like that large cent Rob - just a generation away from the revolution making it more attractive to me. I have always been attracted to earlier US - periodically being tempted to buy a capped bust half eage - but there's always been something a little more interesting to suck away my money first. Maybe time to buy a powerball ticket....

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>periodically being tempted to buy a capped bust half eage >>

That's never gonna happen for me, probably. If I had that kinda money, I'd buy a Roman aureus first.

Coming from you, a guy whose knowledge I respect on ancients, that's heartening. I joked with Aethelred that I should probably be flogged for spending part of my Otho money on a Liteside coin. He said I was dead to him, and only agreed to speak with me again after I showed him the next ancient I'll be bidding on! image

I was sort of gunning for a Draped Bust half, but ended up going with this instead. I love Draped Busts, as I mentioned in the thread on that cent. Of course you've got to contend with a lot of condition pitfalls on that earlier US stuff, so I bought this one already in plastic. (The half I was looking at was nice enough, but raw.)

Speaking of earl US stuff, I just bought a Liteside/Darkside crossover that's listed in the colonial section of the US coin Redbook. I will post that soon. So this might be a two-update day. Lotsa activity in the Box of 20 lately.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, really like that large cent Rob - just a generation away from the revolution making it more attractive to me. I have always been attracted to earlier US - periodically being tempted to buy a capped bust half eage - but there's always been something a little more interesting to suck away my money first. Maybe time to buy a powerball ticket....

image >>

Pre-1834 US gold is never gonna happen for me, probably. If I had that kinda money, I'd buy a Roman aureus first, anyway.

Coming from you, a guy whose knowledge I respect on ancients, that's heartening to hear you approve of my US coin newp. I joked with Aethelred that I should probably be flogged for spending part of my Otho money on a Liteside coin. He said I was dead to him, and only agreed to speak with me again after I showed him the next ancient I'll be bidding on! image

I was sort of gunning for a Draped Bust half, but ended up going with this instead. I love Draped Busts, as I mentioned in the thread on that cent. Of course you've got to contend with a lot of condition pitfalls on that earlier US stuff, so I bought this one already in plastic. (The half I was looking at was nice enough, but raw.)

Speaking of early US stuff, I just bought a Liteside/Darkside crossover that's listed in the colonial section of the US coin Redbook. I will post that soon. So this might be a two-update day. Lotsa activity in the Box of 20 lately.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That toned Antoninus Pius caught my eye. I bought it in an ANACS EF45 holder, and cracked it out, hoping NGC would like it better than ANACS. They didn't. Oh, well. The holder matches the others, now. I don't really care that much about the technical label grades anyway. As time goes on, I'll likely focus on that a little more. Right now, this box is pretty eclectic and sort of cobbled together from a bunch of leftovers and stray coins. In time, I hope to improve the quality of what's in the box, but it will probably remain an eclectic (almost eccentric) collection. >>

Collect what you like. I admire your whole strategy very much. It is nice not to feel forced to buy an 11th (or whatever number) CC dollar, With Motto half, etc. so you van focus on something that speaks to you.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Updated the pictures on everything somewhat (thanks to assistance from SmEagle1795, who assisted with the "shadowbox" effect, as I still lack the software and skills).

As of this post, the individual coin threads have not all been brought up to date (with the new pictures, or in some cases, new certification status), but I'm working on that.

This Roman Imperial was added back in November, before I went into hibernation like the Yeti I sometimes am.

The Roman Republican piece got slabbed. I'm gearing up for a small (probably 4-piece) world coin submission to PCGS.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been following your box of 20 posts---that's an appealing way to collect, a way to continually learn new things about numismatics and keep from getting burned out. While I never have owned an ancient or Asian coin, I starting collecting foreign coins (late medieval-19th century, emphasizing thalers) many moons ago. The coins are mostly gone, but I still enjoy looking at photos of them. Nice job!
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice addition, Rob.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Love the oldies the best.

I am doing something similar but with crown size world coins. Cheated a bit though as I have a 30 count wooden box
  • Options

<< <i>Love the oldies the best.

I am doing something similar but with crown size world coins. Cheated a bit though as I have a 30 count wooden box >>

Oooh, interesting, would love to see those.

I like the whole box of 20 thing, but just seem too emotionally attached to too many of the little dears I've bought over the years - even some of those which are in areas I'll probably never buy another coin (eg Maundy sets, interwar German commems, Brunswick multiple talers, etc). I might just be able to reconcile to a box of 2000, but guess that misses the point?

• Options
    I always liked that Severus reverse Rob, congrats on a nice example. I may have missed it, but what coin does this replace?

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I like the whole box of 20 thing, but just seem too emotionally attached to too many of the little dears I've bought over the years - even some of those which are in areas I'll probably never buy another coin (eg Maundy sets, interwar German commems, Brunswick multiple talers, etc). I might just be able to reconcile to a box of 2000, but guess that misses the point?

image >>

Hmm, maybe I could manage a box of 1000? I'm trying to reduce to more 'core' items but I'm really not sure how to explain those three Greenland bear coins. Among other things. I very much admire the box of twenty, but I can't even get myself below 20 conders and I'm very fond of saying I DON'T COLLECT CONDERS. I have 22.

• Options

<< <i> but I can't even get myself below 20 conders and I'm very fond of saying I DON'T COLLECT CONDERS. I have 22. >>

I feel your pain. I have a small collection of Bavarian because we visited the Christkindlmarkt in Munich years ago. I can rationalize the Christkindl medals (sort of) but the coins? And don't even ask about the Anhalt bears!

• Options
    One day, if I find the 20-coin limit too constraining, I may go with two boxes of 20: one NGC and one PCGS. Then they can also be put on the registries as "signature sets".

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's a smart idea LM. Registry set domination on each site.

I bought my first slabbed coin in over 20 years the other day. I will have to add it here shortly, maybe this weekend. I will give you a hint: it's not a Morgan.

There is absolutely zero chance I could ever get down to 20 coins, so I have been working on making the mess more understandable. Proper holders, as much attribution info as I have and keeping receipts (that folder, however, is a total mess).
  • Options
    March, 2015: four more are going away:

OUT: England: silver Short Cross penny of King John (1199-1216), struck in the name of Henry II, ca. 1205-1207
    I'll miss this one. And some will scold me since I used the money to buy a piece of modern NCLT with the funds (see below), but since that modern piece has half an ounce of gold, it will serve as a stepping stone the next time I want another neat historical coin like this. (No, really- there is some method to my madness! Some.)

OUT: Italy (Venice): silver grosso of Antonio Venier, ca. 1382-1400
    Another cool medieval which is going off to live with Aethelred. I have converted him to the Box of 20 thing and he is gonna do that with medieval coins, he says. (No doubt he'll continue cracking ancients from their plastic TPG coffins every chance he gets, though.)

OUT: USA: Draped Bust large cent, 1803 (small date, large fraction)
    Got a later-date large cent in MS, instead- see below. This was a nice coin, but I wasn't happy with the poor pictures of it. (The person who bought it was favorably impressed when he saw it in hand, though.)

OUT: USA (Syracuse, NY): brass merchant token, A.C. Yates Clothing Emporium, ca. 1850s
    This was a cool token, but I still have my nice "Monitor" Civil War token, and have added better pix of that.

And four are coming in.

IN: French Colonies: counterstamped copper sou, 1767
    Sort of an odd addition, perhaps, but it covers both world and US "colonial" (it's a listed Redbook variety that was used in Louisiana). And it has a counterstamp. Why not? Off at PCGS to be graded. (Yes, they grade these, counterstamp and all.)

IN: USA: copper Braided Hair large cent, 1851
    My first Mint State US large cent. I may send it to PCGS for TrueView imaging and reholdering.

IN: Canada: gold 100-dollars proof of Elizabeth II, Canadian Unity commemorative, 1978
    Not the Canadian G$100 design I've been after for years, but I like it. It'll serve as a nice way to hold a little bullion and will probably later be used as a stepping stone towards something bigger. Besides, I needed something modern in the Box for true "eclectitude". ("Eclecticity"?) Now cracked out and sent off to PCGS for regrading and TrueView image, 3/17.

Newp, maybe IN later: Latvia: gold 5-lati proof, 2003
    Again, a little modern for the box, to represent the 21st century. More proof gold can't hurt, either, even if it is small, right? Now cracked out and sent off to PCGS for regrading and TrueView image, 3/17. Yes, I risk losing a point, maybe, but I'd rather have nice images than the NGC 70 slab with the intrusive white prongs.

These are off to PCGS as well.

IN: Netherlands (Gelderland): "St. John" type gold gulden (florin) of Arnold van Egmond, ca. 1423-1472
    This one should easily atone for the departure of the two medieval pieces that are going away.

Additionally, the Hesse-Darmstadt kreuzer has been cracked out and submitted to PCGS.

IN for now, maybe OUT later: German States (Hesse-Darmstadt): silver kreuzer, 1866
    Cracking out an NGC MS67 Pop 2/0 coin is a bit risky, yes. But even if it downgrades at PCGS, the highest they currently have graded is an MS65, so it will likely become finest known in PCGS plastic. Besides, it deserves a TrueView picture and I didn't pay a whole ton of money for it in the first place. So I'm crossing my fingers but accept the risk.

Uh-oh... counting the coins in the OP, with the Latvian piece included, I think I now have 21 pieces!

So we won't add the Latvian just yet. I might hang onto a surplus coin until the PCGS submission is done, just in case I get a no-grade or something.

I'm gradually trying to bring everything up above a ~$200-ish/coin minimum threshold, so if I prune another, it will likely be the Japanese 2-bu, the new Latvian 5-lati, or the Hesse-Darmstadt kreuzer. But I already have a potential buyer for the Hesse-Darmstadt after it comes back from PCGS.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord - I really like what you have done. Some really nice pickups. Cracking out a 67 coin is daring but the coin speaks for itself regardless of the number tied to it. Well done!
  • Options
    Out with the old:

imageimage

In with the new:

imageimage

I'll miss the little Japanese coin, but it was one the last few left below my attempted $200/coin minimum value threshold as I gradually try to boost everything upward a little bit. But the two German States pieces (Hesse-Darmstadt and Saxony) are also just barely at the $200 threshold, if not slightly below it. Also that little Latvian gold piece, which is probably not a $200 coin, though I've seen some listed for close to that price on eBay.

With the French 20-franc piece going away and the Italian 20-lire coming in, that's sort of a lateral move. The Italian piece may not grade as high as the French one did, but it's got a higher Krause value, and I got it for a very reasonable price vis-a-vis that catalog value.

The set now looks a bit of a mess, as many coins are away being slabbed (or are about to be), so the array of temporary images throws off the aesthetics a bit.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Reading this thread is like watching a soap opera, it is filled with twists and turns, coins being sent off and cracked out et cetera. A few of the coins have even come my way over the years, but they tend to be dizzy and confused when I get them.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Reading this thread is like watching a soap opera, it is filled with twists and turns, coins being sent off and cracked out et cetera. A few of the coins have even come my way over the years, but they tend to be dizzy and confused when I get them. >>

It is a bit of a whirl, isn't it? image

And that ain't the half of it. There's all the wheeling and dealing and scheming that goes on behind the scenes before each update.

That's just like me, though. All manic and flurried for a while, then I'll fall dormant for a month or three until the next flurry of enthusiasm spurs new activity.

It's a good thing I've only got this small collection of 20 pieces, now, or I'd never be able to keep up with it all.

I'm actually still enjoying the Box of 20 thing. Maybe one day it will fork off into two boxes (one NGC with ancients/one PCGS with medieval and moderns), and then I can make custom registry sets from each box. But that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

• Options
    slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    Very fascinating it gave me a new found respect for the coin world. I'm from the dark side of the hobby pop-culture gum cards. Haha
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Ps I wish I could have a collection of only 20 unopened packs. Sure would simplifi this hobby.
    Pss is there a coin you could recommend that's not to pricey of when Christ walked on the earth or sometime before or shortly after? It would be a fantastic gift for my pastor. Mahalo!
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • Options
    Slacker- you could buy a Judaean bronze lepton (commonly referred to as a "widow's mite" after the parable in the Bible.). These are popular yet very affordable biblical coins that can often be had for less than twenty bucks (for a crude specimen) on up to $30-50-ish (for a better one). Even the better ones can be slightly primitive, however.

You could search for widow's mites at forumancientcoins.com, bargainbinancients.com, or any of several dealers in the online mall at vcoins.com. Thanks for visiting!

• Options
    slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    Mahalo!
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • Options
    Finally, a long-overdue update for October, 2015, with a few additions and deletions.

Of course there are still some that need slabbing and reimaging.

Who'd have thunk that a smaller, simpler collection of 20 pieces would be so much work for me to keep up with, huh? image

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice...I think I am going to do a couple of boxes of 20...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    Yikes.

This set is a real mess right now, sorely in need of updating.

The Alexander tetradrachm, and Peruvian cob are sold, the USA 3c piece and Italian 20-lire are on eBay and will sell, and I just upgraded the 3c piece to a PR65 CAM in a deal that is still pending. The Canadian $100 piece has long since been crossed to PCGS (losing a grade point in the process), and the Roman Hadrian sestertius has yet to make the trip to NGC for encapsulation. I also intend to try the Netherlands goldgulden there in hopes of a straight grade.

In addition to the pending 3c piece upgrade, I added a French Louis XV jeton some of you saw,, and have my eye on perhaps one or two more additions.

So I have quite a bit of housekeeping to do here. image

• Options
    I like that 1913 Saxony piece. How many states issue a commemorative coin and build a nice monument for their defeat?
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    How can there be updates to this post when it is I who possess your Box of 20?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: savoyspecial

How can there be updates to this post when it is I who possess your Box of 20?
    'Tis true, thou doth possess the wooden box seen in the banner above, but NiceCurrency now owns most of the NGC Ancients also seen in the banner picture. image

My Box of 20 (the actual box itself) has evolved into an aluminum box with a 25-slab capacity, which gives me room for a few extras and which will also fit inside my safe deposit box, which the old wooden box would not do.

• Options
    Well, I finally got this updated and caught up on months of overdue housekeeping. The last few "updates" were really only of this index thread and a lot of the subthreads were out of date since coins got slabbed or crossed over from one service to another.

You may have noticed I've abandonded the slab labels pasted into the main images. This helps me maintain consistency when stuff is either raw and awaiting slabbing or is being crossed over. Plus, the images look less cluttered. Of course the slab pictures are still within the subthreads.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could ever wean down to just 20 coins. those are some beautiful examples
  • Options
    Well... I do have a sideline set going now, which is now up to twelve pieces as of this posting. image

A couple of years ago I asked myself if I would rather have 200 "OK" coins or 20 nice ones. (As nice as one can get on my budget, anyway.) I went for the 20, though that was not always my philosophy. It has indeed taken some adjustment. But it has taught me some valuable disciplines, too.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    I do understand. I guess im ok with some of my collecting having no rhyme or reason and just what I like. I mean I still do the sets. but out of 300 only 46 are High MS the rest majority are AU and a few VF and XF scattered. and of course the kicks to the groin Details (cleaned)
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never thought of that. Sounds like a cool way to collect some quality coins.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Rob, You gave me a great idear with your Eclectic Box of 20 coins,
    I'll go for a Eclectic album with 20 of the most beautifull banknotes imho worldwide.
    Thanks
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Andres

Rob, You gave me a great idear with your Eclectic Box of 20 coins,

I'll go for a Eclectic album with 20 of the most beautifull banknotes imho worldwide.

Thanks

Great idea! Of course nothing says your predetermined number has to be 20...

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    For now thats more then enough, currently buying more greek notes for my greek banknote collection.
    but sometimes I see beautifull notes , I have to have, last buy was a huge French banknote a Victoire 5000 Francs, size over 10 inch x 5 inch,
    and last week a $2 1918 Texas Battleship with great eye appeal , and I dont collect USA or French banknotes.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I've aways like the concept of the "eclectic box of 20" ... and of course your choices included !
  • Options
    First update for 2016. Now that I have a car payment for the first time in 30 years, money's even tighter, and additions to the coin collection even fewer and farther between, but oh, well. I'm still having fun, and not having to worry about "is this the month when I'll need a new transmission in the car?" so much anymore.

First, one must go out...

(Au revoir, mon ami.)

So that another may come in.

(Wilkommen, Herr Maximilian.)

With the latest addition, I now have four raw coins in the box that need to go off for grading, and another (the Gelderland goldgulden) I want to crack from its PCGS holder to try at NGC in hopes of a straight grade. Besides, since two of the raw ones are ancients (the Vespasian and the Hadrian Romans), it is about time to renew my membership Across the Street and do a submission. So the Ragusa grosso and this new Teutonic Order 1/4-thaler may end up in NGC rather than PCGS plastic. Just this time. Maybe. Or perhaps I'll send the two Romans and the Gelderland off to NGC and hold on the Ragusa and Teutonic Order coins raw until I have another one or two additions to go off to PCGS.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you did well.

I prefer the new to the old.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    How did the crossover go with the 1866 German silver Kreuzer go?
    Paul
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pmac

How did the crossover go with the 1866 German silver Kreuzer go?

If memory serves, I ended up selling that one rather than rolling the dice and attempting a crossover.

Not because I desperately wanted to be rid of it, mind you- it was a sweet little coin, and amazingly prooflike. But simply because that's how it goes with a "Box of 20" set- one must go out for another to come in. It was a sub-$200 coin and I was trying to pull up the minimum value of all the coins in the box to $200-ish. As of right now, I do still have a few that only just meet that criterion, and one (the medieval Ragusa grosso, aka "my Hippie Coin") which cost less than that, but I really like that one so it has stuck around a bit longer.

I can now officially say that the set has advanced to the point where parting with coins has become a bit more difficult sentimentally, and does require some detachment. But on my shoestring budget, for me to afford to collect coins that cost in the range of $200-2,000+ each, I will always have to sell one first in order to buy another. So the "Box of 20" philosophy suits me well for now.