Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Greatest Quarterback of All Time

124»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    The reality is that he just happened to have three of his better performances in the Super Bowl(thanks to Swann and Stallworth), which is not much more than a random event that happens all the time in the scheme of a pro athlete's performance. It doesn't make him a big game player and it is not valid evidence that he is more capable of handling the big game than others. If he truly did have a knack for doing extraordinary in big games, then he would have exhibited that trait in the six conference championships. >>

If it was a random event, wouldn't you think Tony Romo would accidentally one time play as well in big game as he does in the others? >>

In 2009 Romo had 244 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, and a 104.9 rating in a 34-14 win vs Philadelphia in the playoffs.

PS. Some of these QB's that 'seemingly' don't play as well in the playoffs are often on one dimensional teams, such as Marino's with a lack of a running game, and the playoff opponent defends that one dimension, so Marino is playing against a stacked deck right from the get go...and they are probably playing on the road more often(which means the opponent is probably the better team to begin with)...then you add the entire element of luck or randomness. Plus defense of course.

A guy like Bradshaw never had to deal with such circumstances. He always had multiple dimensions for the defense to defend, they were typically at home and the superior team to begin with...and he had two acrobatic receivers bailing him out all the time....and the luck(like the immaculate reception)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with a lot of opinions here....especially Greg M.'s opinion of Marino. While it's hard to say who the greatest was because of the way the game has changed over the years, you can't just keep Marino out of it because he never won a Super Bowl. It's a team sport, and while QB may be the most important player on the team you can't just surround him with nobodys. Think fast and name two receivers other than Duper and Clayton that he through to. Unless you were a big Dolphin or Marino fan back then you won't be able to. Now think fast a name a running back he played with. It's hard to either very quickly without the internet or racking your brain. Why? It's because the rest of the players were forgettable. The bad part about all that is that Duper/Clayton weren't with him very long....just a few years if I remember correctly.

Now if you think back to the Super Bowls that have been won you'll most likely be able to put a QB/WR together from a team that won. Aikman had Irvin, Joe had Taylor/Rice, and Farve had Sharp and the 11 guys that wore the other teams jerseys on defense.

I was not a Marino fan.....but I do remember the guy was incredible for a long, long time. >>

The reason you can't name to many from those teams is because they never won the SB, had they won one the names would be more common. I loved Marino but there is no way he can make a top 5 list without winning one. I mean hell until Elway won a couple no one put him in the list.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    [q I mean hell until Elway won a couple no one put him in the list. >>

Which was dumb...because he won when his cast got better, and because Green Bay couldn't stop Terrell Davis.

He was as good a QB the night before he won the Super Bowl as he was the night after.