Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you disappointed with the quality of 2013 FUN offerings?

I for one am very underwhelmed with the quality of offerings in the 2013 FUN auction, in my area of interest anyway. Are others surprised with the lack of new/better material being offered this year? Have the increased auction house fees led to fewer quality offerings this year???

Comments

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Yes and Yes.

This has been the case for over two years now with an occasional exception here and there.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    For Bust Dimes the quality isn't too bad!

It all depends on who wants to consign, what they want to consign, and when they want to consign!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. There are a handful of coins which interest me. The problem is that bidding is typically very strong at FUN, and I have never won a single lot from this show's auction.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you collect Washington Quarters, you can't beat the quality in this year's FUN auction.

If you collect Capped Bust Half Dimes, there are a more than a few pretty coins -- though probably none for me
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    With no fewer than seven (7!) 1792 half dismes being offered, underwhelmed is not a word that would have occurred to me. I will likely not be a bidder on any of them, but "lack of quality material" in my area of interest simply does not apply. Even with the Capped Bust and Liberty Seated half dimes, there are "more than a few pretty coins", as Barndog says.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the gold coins that high on my list are in those auctions. In general the offerings do seem to thinner that they were in previous FUN show auctions.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I am bidding on only one Capped Bust Half Dollar, everything else of interest is already bid up above what I believe they are worth. Beats me how two weeks to go, and somebody already bid up some desirable CBHs way over what they sold for at auction within the past couple of years. Some people don't do their homework.

There are some Classic Commemoratives that I may well bid on. The Gold CAC stickered coins appear to be going for the next grade up price. I would rather have that higher grade on the PCGS holder than the Gold CAC sticker at the lower grade. One Commem in P66 lists for $350, but P67 lists for $4800. Doubt I will win that one. This business about disposing of a collection of Gold CAC stickered coins looks like a big gamble to me, and I am not a gambler.

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and can you explain why anyone bids now or at anytime prior to the actual start of the LIVE auction?

As an attorney would say:

Objection - already asked and answered. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With regards to the OP, now that I've quit trying to fill holes in a series, I'm never disappointed with the offerings.

There are quite a few things I'm looking forward to seeing in person.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am bidding on only one Capped Bust Half Dollar, everything else of interest is already bid up above what I believe they are worth. Beats me how two weeks to go, and somebody already bid up some desirable CBHs way over what they sold for at auction within the past couple of years. Some people don't do their homework.

There are some Classic Commemoratives that I may well bid on. The Gold CAC stickered coins appear to be going for the next grade up price. I would rather have that higher grade on the PCGS holder than the Gold CAC sticker at the lower grade. One Commem in P66 lists for $350, but P67 lists for $4800. Doubt I will win that one. This business about disposing of a collection of Gold CAC stickered coins looks like a big gamble to me, and I am not a gambler. >>

image and can you explain why anyone bids now or at anytime prior to the actual start of the LIVE auction? >>

If you bid now you can bid at any amount you wish. For example, you could bid $5013 on a lot and when some at the live auction bids $5000 you could win it for $5013 instead of the next bidding step. At least that's what I do to entertain myself...
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am bidding on only one Capped Bust Half Dollar, everything else of interest is already bid up above what I believe they are worth. Beats me how two weeks to go, and somebody already bid up some desirable CBHs way over what they sold for at auction within the past couple of years. Some people don't do their homework.

There are some Classic Commemoratives that I may well bid on. The Gold CAC stickered coins appear to be going for the next grade up price. I would rather have that higher grade on the PCGS holder than the Gold CAC sticker at the lower grade. One Commem in P66 lists for $350, but P67 lists for $4800. Doubt I will win that one. This business about disposing of a collection of Gold CAC stickered coins looks like a big gamble to me, and I am not a gambler. >>

image and can you explain why anyone bids now or at anytime prior to the actual start of the LIVE auction? >>

95% of the items I have won from Heritage I bid on from the early online bidding. I usually bid $1 on the first day and just watch it until the last day.
    By then most items have been bid up higher than I can afford. So I can just concentrate on the 2 or 3 that are still priced reasonable at that time.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed with the quality of most auctions. Fortunately, we're allowed to only bid on the coins we like. And in this sale, I could easily spend a few million on coins I love. That is, if I didn't have to resell them for a profit.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing in the FUN auction for me. I hope the Stack's Bowers sale is better.
  • Options

I am really indifferent about the aucions associated with major shows. Weather there is a lot of material
    for H A or who ever to auction off doesn't really matter to me. I feel that if the offerings are less and less
    it might be because of the consignors are waiting to sell there coins at the shows them selves rather than
    loose the seller's fees and not sell something because a bidder doesn't want to pay the vig which in some
    cases have increased this past year and will continue this next year.

If a dealer or even a collector that would normally consign an item can think they may get a better price
    by having it on their table or walk the floor and offer to dealers well I can totally understand their logistic.
    Also with the amount of material at the show there will be a lot of trades made I would think. With money
    as tight as it is now a days people are and I know I am one are more open to trading for coins.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the JN........why are there heavy hits on coins in certifications of MS65 and MS66 and a MS67 for NGC?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty stoked about the coins offered. I expect to buy somewhere between one and six ions in the sale.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be quite honest----despite the fact that there's over 430 Walkers in the FUN catalog; I see nothing remarkable in the way of the Walkers being offered. Even with the Western Reserve Registry set being made available but that's just me.

Kinda glad anyway, as the bidding is usually frenetic and out of hand. Always SUPER HIGH hammer prices.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, yes.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI I am not speaking of making $1 bids to track the coin you are interested in, I am talking about making your highest and best bid weeks before the actual auction day. >>

If you've figured out with certainty your max bid on a lot, does it really make any difference
    when you submit it?
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat underwhelmed, yes. Surprised, no.

It was clear when they raised the "buyer's" fee to 17.5% that this would mostly come out of consignor's proceeds. Bottom line, I expect more coins to go the private sale route than the major auction route as fees continue to climb.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Somewhat underwhelmed, yes. Surprised, no.

It was clear when they raised the "buyer's" fee to 17.5% that this would mostly come out of consignor's proceeds. Bottom line, I expect more coins to go the private sale route than the major auction route as fees continue to climb. >>

This is potentially a good thing. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the auction big boys have miscalculated the impact of their price increases. They are not competitive anymore for the common widget. People have other less expensive options available and it sure looks to me like they are using them.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There always seems to be Dimes I would like to have.

Mid grade Barbers are harder to find...especially in this kind of auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file