Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you collect?

Hello again. I found myself just wondering what are the various ways that everyone here uses to acquire new coinage. I live in a relatively small city with only 2 brick and mortar stores. So needless to say the turn over, or influx of new interesting/unusual coins is not very common. Of course there is ebay which I've used a couple times, but it is hard for me as a new collector to grade coins and such from pictures and bid against the entire world. I was wanting to kind of branch out a bit more to see/learn/experience more of the coin collecting hobby rather then going into the same coin store seeing the same coins.

I know there's big shows and such, but ones that are in my travel distance are maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Anyways, just curious how you more experienced lot actually go out and acquire coins? It seems a lot of people on here are very specific in what they are after, so how often do you actually make a new coin purchase?

And for bonus points, what did you collect in your infancy of the hobby? I don't have the knowledge or bank roll to be collecting gem Morgans, or gem anything really. What are reasonably cheap and easy collections for me to work on?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i find hoarding to be the most pleasurable

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>.
    i find hoarding to be the most pleasurable
    . >>

AMEN Brother Never can have too much or enough. like 79 S Morgans

But hoard what you enjoy and be knowledgeable about what you hoard, it's even more fun that way.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are at the most critical and vulnerable point in your collecting career. Collecting knowledge should be your goal right now.....I'd suggest two books which will broaden your knowledge and help you hone in on what you find both interesting and within your budget. The. "Redbook" and Q David Bowers. "collecting and investing in rare coins". Try and find something in coins that you Really Enjoy reading about and like looking at. ............now, buying. Your BM might be a good place to see coins, because actually looking at coins in hand is the best way to learn what grades look like. When you look on eBay learn to equate Buy it Now with"overpriced". Your fair prices come when you win an auction with a dozen or more bids. ~~~~~~~~when you "think" coins....and what to collect, there comes this warm fuzzy feeling when you "hit" upon the coins you want to collect. Maybe holding an 1820 large cent.....or an Oregon Trail half dollar... Or maybe a bright shiny Indian head cent ~~~~~it's all great fun but remember all the "feeders" are there in numismatics which can take a person with addictive tendencies down a very expensive and problematic path.
  • Options
    I'm not a new collector but I am in about the same situation as you. There are no coin shops worth going to within 60 miles and the same could be said for coin shows.I do have a couple or three larger shows I try to go to once a year. I mostly just scan dealer websites and the BST lately.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a collector since the early 1960s, and I bought my first coin at more than face value when I was 11 years old.

I got my experience by reading grading books and looking at as many coins as possible. I lived in a small town where there were no coin shops within 60 or 70 miles. Fortunately my father often made business trips to Philadelphia where I got know the dealers who ran the coin department at Gimbels Department Store. Their prices were high, but those guys took me under their wing, and I learned a lot of them. I also bought as many books for them as were available at that time and studied them. I even bought books on coins I did not / could not collect like Sheldon variety large cents. When I was 16, the head of the coin department at Gimbels offered me a job. I couldn't take because I lived more than 100 miles away and still had to finish high school, but it certainly was a flattering offer!

As an adult I'm still and avid collector, and I was a dealer for 12 years. I still buy every coin book that interests me, and I travel to three for four shows a years. I try to avoid buying on the Internet because as you have found, pictures don't tell the whole story. I either have to know the dealer well or have a full return privilege.

The best advice I can give you is to go to as many shows as possible and look at as many coins as possible. Buy the ANA grading guide and study it. Also you might learn some things if you join a local club, if there one in your area. Finally if you run into a knowledgeable dealer who is willing to take you under his wing, jump at the opportunity.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image...Bill Great tale and I'll bet you got every old Fart on here drooling over that Gimbles job opportunity as a teen!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to (school) the world of COINS! All the advise thus far is all good. Here's one more,learn to trust a particular dealer.Have a good/trustworthy relationship with him or her.Someone that knows the ins and outs of coins.Be a frequent customer of his/her products. Make him trust you as well as you trusting in him. Before you know it,this person will show you all the ropes about what to buy and what not to buy.If he turns out to be a good friend,he should be a magnificent teacher in the coin world. The reason I say this is because this scenario happen to me! I have such a fine relationship with this coin dealer,that he trusts me to transport quite a huge quantity of silver and gold to his other store in the city.He has taught me " everything",I mean,EVERYTHING that I know in this crazy hobby!I thank him continuously. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone but it certainly did for this coin geek.Good luck,and more importantly,have fun!!!image One more thing... this dealer friend of mine also,so happens to be a well known error/variety man. This just adds fuel to the fire,so to speak,in learning about coins.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above and I would add that the BST has served me (and many others) quite well.... either scan offerings or post some 'wants'....usually reasonable prices and terms. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bookmark....

This

for a valuable reference to dealers, reference material, etc.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Thanks every one for taking some time here. Someone mentioned the addictive tendiencies may lead to expensive problems and thats one thing I'm slightly concerned about. Currently I'm working on the silver washingtons after I have completed the Roosevelt dimes and kennedy halves. So the coins I "need" for my book are cheep and common but finding nicer ones has really been my introduction to trying to hold my horses for a while waiting for a coin that really fits rather then the first I come accross.

My budget is maybe 30-50 bucks every week or two so I'm just chippin away a lil. There is a local club that I will look into and see how that goes. Just dont know right yet where I'll go with this hobby next...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to turn on your PM button (private messages). Just go into your profile
    and enable it.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    knoxy4, just out of curiosity, which town is that?

Anyway, I personally think 2 b&m stores is plenty, if you can access them. I live in a town where there aren't any coin shops, just a few jewelry stores that try to "flip" whatever comes their way. I didn't "get my self up by the bootstraps" in coin collecting- I definitely needed the help of a few people, and a few key resources. Anyway, no matter where you live- a big city, a small town, suburbia, the internet (like some of us, lol)- here's a list of sources you can get with a few bucks, some internet surfing, and some diligent networking:

TYPES OF PEOPLE

(1) "The Mentor." One day, I casually put up a penny variety on my Facebook profile status, just for kicks. I wasn't really into coin collecting then, but what do you know... an old friend of mine from high school contacted me back after reading my status, told me he's very much into numismatics, and pretty much gave me advice on how to begin collecting, not just acquiring. He still gives me advice each day, and we go out for coffee often. He introduced me to these forums, saved me thousands of dollars, and most importantly, kept me enthused about coins. I consider myself lucky, but if none of your friends are accomplished collectors, that's OK, too- your "mentor" could be a guy on these forums, or from another online club (setting up a LinkedIn profile might help you find some). Your mentor can be a person from your local coin club. Whoever's willing to take the time and point you in the right direction.

In all honesty, this forum here would probably suffice as a "mentor." I'm usually pretty skeptic about interacting with people online, but people here have always been direct and generous in their advice.

(2) "The retailer." Find one of these. Show up to his or her store often, and buy something from time to time. You'll find that a lot of coin dealers like to share information if you just ask. They'll show you a lot of different coins, explain why some are priced a certain way, and so forth. But stick around for too long without buying anything, and they'll get a little wary of you.

(3) "The wholesaler." It pays to know a source that won't sell you coins at retail prices, if you ever want to buy and trade coins. Heck, maybe you just want to buy coins at a discount because you don't have too much to spend. These don't have to be retailers- in fact, most of the time, they're not- but they can be Craigslist users, eBay users, jewelers who aren't into coins but come across them, and- in my opinion, the best of all- pawn shop owners. I know many who sell at spot price, leaving the numismatic value in my hands for free.

TYPES OF BOOKS

(1) The Official Red Book: A Guide Book of United States Coins, by R.S. Yeoman. You'll usually hear that it's the first book you should buy if interested in US Coins, and there's a reason why. It lists every coin minted in the United States, along with its mintage number and (very) rough price range for each coin, with respect to its grade. It'll give details about the coin's design, and some stories behind the coin's creation.

(2) A grading book. You can get the ANA official coin grading guide; I prefer the book Grading Coins by Photographs. Similar authors, same publisher, etc. Your ability to assess how much a coin is worth will save you a lot in the long run, as certains dealers might try to offer you a poor grading's price for a nice coin you may have, or charge a top grading price for a coin that isn't of a notable grade.

(3) A book on counterfeits. This is a really important one to have. Studying counterfeits will help you learn- and appreciate- genuine coins a lot more. One that I'd recommend is The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection. Don't just stop with counterfeits- learn to identify coins that have been dipped, cleaned, altered, and so forth.

I could go on and on and on and on about websites... but for now, I'll leave you with these:

www.pcgscoinfacts.com (subscription required)
    www.ha.com (need an account, but it's completely free)
    www.ebay.com
    raregoldcoins.com
    coinflation.com
    ngccoin.com

...and, of course, this website.

Hope this helps- it's just a small sampler of all the ways you can go about collecting coins.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file