Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

collecting goals for 2013?

Mine will be pretty modest this year:

1. complete my 1970 Topps NM to MINT-range raw/graded mixed set (16 cards needed)

2. get to the halfway point on my all- PSA 6 or better 1956 Topps set (6 cards needed)

3. add one nice card to my PSA Clemente basic set (still need the rookie, '57 Topps, '63 Fleer, '67 Topps, '68 Topps)

What are yours?
'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
*Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA

Comments

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Great question. Here are mine:

1. Topps wax boxes 1973-1977 and one PSA-graded wax pack from each year to match (ouch)

2. Find a nice raw 1971 Kelloggs set and/or 1970s Hostess sets

3. Sell anything I don't really enjoy to help pay for 1 and 2
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 1 .... find a Dr J signing
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting a Brooks Robinson and Jim Palmer basic Topps set this year. I won't be aiming too high with the grades, I just want to affordably complete them first and upgrade along the way. I'll still be trying to complete my Ripken basic set in 10s. LONG process, but still fun! image
  • Options
    To finally come up with a goal, and/or focus image
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Spend more image
  • Options
    Finish my 1994 Football SP Die Cut Graded Set
    Pick Up:
    1980 Magic / Bird PSA 9
    1968 Nolan Ryan well centered 7 or 8
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    My goals are:

1. Save up enough money to go to the National in Chicago.

2. Get a Hank Aaron rookie in PSA 5.

3. Get a Stan Musial '52 Bowman to complete my basic set.

4. If possible, pick up some more Aaron's to fulfill his basic registry.

5. Continue to finish up any other sets that I haven't completed thus far.

I honestly think all of those are obtainable, but we will see.
  • Options
    Finish having a complete 80's unopened box collection. I need a few boxes from the early 80's.

Sell off stuff that is just taking space right now (any takers on lots of rookies, commons and stars from the late 80's, early 90's - all sports)

Slowly fill in my Dale Murphy PSA collection.

Finish putting together 1974 set, 2012 Topps Archive, and complete a master 2012 Topps Heritage set.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    My goals are to focus primarily on vintage cards (while maybe picking up a few modern cards here and there that I've wanted for a while).
    Cards I'd like to get in 2013
    1) 1968 Topps Johnny Bench PSA 8
    2) 1976 Topps Walter Payton PSA 8
    3) 1957 Topps Don Drysdale and/or Frank Robinson PSA 7 for both

Another small goal is to start posting pictures of my cards and new additions whether vintage or modern.
  • Options
    In no particular order:

-Finish my Mattingly basic PSA 10 set. (22 cards to go)

-Add at least one top 10 back to my T206 Highlander team set. Would love to add either a Red Hindu, Broad Leaf 350, or Black Lenox to my collection.

-Keep having fun.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Finish my 2012 Historic Autographs Midwest Champions 1975 Cincinnati Reds set.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Mine would be :

to get the 1974 Yamakatsu New Japan pro Andre the giant card in a psa slab

Close out my non major sport rookie checklist and start on one of the big 4

Pick up a 84 Star Jordan
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Focus on less sets to collect and more items to sell. Be more selective in my purchases.
  • Options
    Paige Leaf RC PSA 1 or 2
    Brees Contenders RC - BGS/PSA
    Rodgers SP Authentic RC - BGS/PSA

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) Finish my raw 70, 71, 73, and 74 sets. About 200 cards away from each.

2.) Continue to add to my Post War HOF rookie set registry occasionally.

3.) Upgrade some cards in my 59 and 75 set.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    CSCCSC Posts: 100
    Create a real focus list. Sell everything else. Buy items on focus list.
  • Options
    Pick up either a Howe RC PSA 5+ or Gretzky RC PSA 8
    Add Bobby Orr 68-71 cards (His RC will be next years goal)
    A PSA 6+ Bradshaw RC
    An 84 Star Jordan RC
  • Options
    T 206 Wagner PSA 2! ............ok, REPRINT
  • Options
    1 - Save enough to attend the National this year and make a couple/few nice purchases and meet with others from this board while there.

2 - Continue collecting Jose Canseco cards for my PC (non doubles) along with sealed rack packs, cellos, Canseco showing on top sealed items.

3 - Would like to get a 93 Jeter SP in PSA 9.

4 - 68 Nolan Ryan in PSA 8.
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Refocus my collecting to stay on track.
    Focus is:
    1978 to current: Autographs of all Nohitter pitchers
    1978 to current: Autographs of all #1 number picks MLB and NFL
    and sell everything else.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    1. Stay focused on building my 1968 and 1970 raw sets through trades only.

2. Sell anything else that is not part of my core "personal collection".

These are my priorities right now. More to follow....
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    My main goal for 2013 is to obtain a copy of this card. preferabally PSA graded or a nice gradable version. If anyone has one to sell, let me know.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Upgrade my Ted Williams Set 1959 Fleer.

Go to Chicago National.

Pick up a 1955 topps Baseball Set VG-VG/EX.

A signed 1959 Detroit Tiger team Ball.

Get rid of a few thousand cards from the 80s to early 90s all sports mostly baseball.FREE just come and pick em up.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    1. Stop ripping so much wax.

2. To hell with it, rip some nice wax.

3. Stay focused on my Jordan collection and finish the complete run of MJ Star and Fleer cards (80s only)

4. Add to my NBA 50 Greatest Players RC Collection.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i hope to continue narrowing the scope of my collecting and putting forth energy on behalf of those particular items i cherish.

by reducing the load i am able to concentrate on actual projects and potentially completing them.

ok. that's bs.

if i can move even half of this crap and have only around 5 bazillion friggin cards laying around, i'll feel blessed.

in the meantime, still chasing tasty vintage rookies, HOFers & stars, local guys and oddball stuff. just like always. image
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I'll continue working on improving my '75 and '77 OPC Sets, and possibly start in an a '74 or '76 set. Topps is good, but a nice OPC is a real challenge!

I'd also like to work on two conflicting strategies this year too... I'd like to continue dumping the bulky "lower end" stuff I've amassed through the years, BUT... I'd also like to be a little more aggressive this year with finding/buying collections & larger deals. It'll mean more "bulk" to unload, but it will also mean more stuff to go through.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 53 Topps Satchell Paige, and a 59 Topps Bob Gibson rookie. Both slabbed mid-grade examples that I can crack out and add to my raw 50s Topps collection.
  • Options
    1--Move into the top 50 of the Football HOF RC set registry

2--Add some "real" cards to my Baseball HOF RC set registry

3--Reduce junk around house, either through sales or donations

4--Buy less "deals", pay more for "substance".

5--Attend the national, have fun and keep it about collecting
  • Options
    1. upgrade t206 set
    2. pre-war type set
    3. 1933 goudey set
    4. autographed 95 ud cc se
    5. 95 ud cc se gold signature Canseco
    6. Barry Larkin collection
    upgrading The Monster, 33 Goudey, e120 hofers, pre-war hof type cards, Barry Larkin, 95 ud cc se gold
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Finish my conversion of cards into PSA slabs. I still have 22 cards that are in BVG, BGS, or SGC slabs. My Jordan Star BGS 8 rookie is the only one that should not be able to get moved over.

Here are the individual cards that I want to pick up a few of:

1957 Topps Brooks Robinson
    1948 Topps Yogi Berra
    1984 USFL Reggie White PSA 9
    1989 Fleer FF Billy Ripken PSA 10
    2004 Panini Megacracks Messi
    1997 Brown's Money Mayweather PSA 9
    1996 SI for Kids Tiger Woods PSA 9
    1990 Score Bo Jackson PSA 10
    1986 Panini Mike Tyson PSA 9
    1962 Topps Mike Ditka
    1950 Feltbacks Darrell Royal
    Hook'em
  • Options
    1) Finish my Jim Hunter Basic set in an 8 or better, still need 1965 and 1966 Topps

2) Get back to #1 on the Master set.
    I have a sub that should get me pretty close.

3) Keep collecting autographed cards of Catfish.

4) Work on my modern collection when nothing else is available. It's up to about 180 cards now.

5) Sell some stuff to keep the collection going.

6) Keep having fun.

Happy New Year everybody.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would like to have a nice exmt to nmt 1968 topps set.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have no goals, just react to what I have going. That is until I get bored, then I create a new project or maybe pick up one of the older projects. Here is what I need to work on, all baseball:

1) Finnish up my 1966-1968 Topps Set in raw VG-EX. I still need Ryan rookie and a most hi numbers from all 3 sets.
    2) Finnish up my 1969 Topps Set in raw EX+. I have the main stars, just need about 200 commons and semi stars.
    3) Finnish up my newest project-1975 minis in nrmt, a little harder than I thought. Most cards I buy in lots do not measure up to nrmt. Still need a few big names.
    4) Continue my Combo Player set. I just posted a pict of the first 36 cards I displayed in a case. Still need to upgrade to the PSA 7 or so.
    5) Continue my Homerun Leaders in PSA 7-8, starting back in 1961 when the subset was created. I'm working on the early years now, but want to bring it up to current years.
    6) Continue my Kelloggs PSA sets in PSA 8-10. I'm only collecting the HOFers with a few semi-stars as well.
    7) Stop buying old Post & Jello PSA cards, too expensive. Well, I still will purchase a few HOFers as they become available.
    8) Continue my Topps Heritage Master Sets although I am losing interest in this as Topps loses interest in their quality and player selection.
    9) Stop buying blaster boxes of random sets-I may needa support group that I am sure I'll find on this thread.
    10)Continue building the some 30-40 sets from the 70's, 80's. I just gotta get focused.

And these are my goals. Since I have in excess of 400,000 cards (all or most in numerical order) it's difficult to just start grabbing the dozens of monster boxes to start trades to finnish sets. I would like to find a couple of guys where we focus on 1-2 years/products at a time. While my stuff is organized well in boxes, those boxes are not easily accesable. I'm sure you guys know.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    1. Define my core collection/collecting focus (IE. narrow down to 12 or less Registry sets, define my "Top 50" cards, and determine what memorabilia I can't live without)
    2. Everything else I own not part of #1... Sell, sell, sell... until my non-mortgage debt is down to ZERO (Ideally, before the National)
    3. Go to the National
    4. Spend, spend, spend... on only stuff that fits into #1

Going beyond 2013 then, I plan to look at adding one significant (IE. 20 cards or greater) Registry set to my collecting focus, per year, to work on going forward.
  • Options

<< <i>4. Add to my NBA 50 Greatest Players RC Collection. >>

This is one of mine, too.

Really want to pick up a Tyson RC in PSA 8, too.
  • Options
    1) concentrate on buying more quality items.
    2) sell some of my lesser "quality" items.
    3) maybe give some of my 88-91 junk to kids.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To finally come up with a goal, and/or focus image >>

I am pretty down to buying only what I need to complete my sets, however it is a long process. I hope some cards I need some to market in 2013
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. More organizing.

2. Keep building 80's OPC/Topps Hockey.

3. Successfully soak/press some 64 Wheaties Stamps.

4. Sell some excess cards with a reputable consignor.

5. Donate several boxes of cards.

6. Try to make some cut auto cards (i.e. Doran's work from several years ago). I've got some good cuts of Aaron, Klu, Spahn, Hunter, etc.

7. Still looking for a 63 Clemente.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I want to complete my 71 topps set in nm shape 95 cards to go.
    Add a few cards and upgrades to my 61 topps set
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady RC PSA 9 or better.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    1. Add 2-3 more autographed 1948 Leaf Football cards to my collection
    2. Add a 1948 Football specific wrapper
    3. Add 3-5 more 1894 N302 Mayo Cut Plugs to my collection
    4. Sell off most of the duplicates in my collection
    5. Upgrade my 1948 Leaf Football set (at least 5 more cards to PSA 8)
    6. Try not to have any contempt for other CU posters
    7. Help at least 5 other collectors finish or fill major holes in the 1964-1972 Baseball sets
    8. Bite my tongue and stop holding hobby grudges
    9. Continue to focus on adding vintage unopened wax and cello football packs to my collection
    10. Remind myself of goal 6 and 8 when I have an issue with another CU poster
  • Options
    1. Break Into the top 25 of the 1959 Topps Master Set
    2. Continue working on my 1909 Colgan's Chips set
    3. Do #1 and 2 without destroying my bank account by selling off duplicates
    4. Attend National in Chicago using only Frequent Flyer Miles, Holiday Inn Priority Club Points and Avis First Rewards
    Collecting E254 1909 Colgans Chips
  • Options
    To get another 100 unique college football hall of famers signed on their rookies. I got about 200 not counting players that are in the pro football hall of fame. There is about 500 cards in total and a 100 of that them are insanely impossible. I'm still getting a few each week.
    To get more 1969 Topps signed cards. I got 75 of 98 .
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    My goals are centered around my gallery site, because I have lots of fun working on it. Over the past couple of years, I have bought a lot of obscure cards to add to the gallery--college playing cards, regional issues, Canadian cards--and I'll continue to do that in 2013. I get a charge out of finding NFL players in these sets, especially if they never appeared on a mainstream card. Here's one: Jimmie Kennedy played three seasons for the Colts, but as far as I know, this was his only appearance on a card.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    1. Finishing downsizing the pile of non-PC stuff I have accumulated.
    2. Finish my modest modern Player base RC collections (harder than it sounds, some of these cards I need I haven't even seen at auction in 4 years).
    3. Acquire signed Ernie Stautner RC.
    4. Slab a significant portion of my Non-Sport autograph collection via some sort of blue-flip special (with funds from #1).
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I collect old Type I photos of (mostly) HOF players in bow ties. Here are some I'd like to score this year:

-Babe Ruth
    -Christy Mathewson
    -Smokey Joe Wood
    -Mel Ott
    -Stan Musial
    -Roger Maris
    -Harmon Killebrew

Ruth will be easy, but not cheap. I think Mathewson & Wood won't be too difficult. As for the rest, I don't know if they've ever even worn a bow tie!*

* = I prefer photos of bow ties that are NOT part of a tuxedo, but rather worn casually. Although I own plenty of both.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are mine.........

Get my 1948 Topps Magic Photo Wrestling Set to the number one of all time.....
    Complete my second 1954 Parkhurst Wrestling Set
    Progress on the 1954 Parkhurst Wrestling Master Set, 137 total and I have 22 to go as of today
    Complete my 1955 Parkhurst set and become the first person to have a complete and highest rated set.
    Get more of my 75 1982-3 Autographed Wrestling All Stars (108 total) in red flips.........I have 20 in card savers today. Maybe get a new auto or two as well and upgrade!
    Acquire a decent 1888 n162 Duncan Ross for my 19th century wrestlers and slabbing my n43s that are in the SGC slabs
    Acquire a wrestler from the 1889 SF Hess set, those are very rare and I was able to pickup two in 2011 and one a year would be awesome.....

Rob

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Most of mine are the same as last year (in large part because I completed few of last year's goals).

Complete the Quest for 3000.
    Reach 85% on my Baseball HOF Player set, 80% on my Baseball HOF Manager set and my Baseball HOF Player/Manager/Ump/Contributor set, 80% on my Football HOF Player/Coach/Admin set, 60% on my Baseball HOF Complete set, 60% on my Basketball HOF Player set, 40% on my Hockey HOF Player set, and 20% on my Tennis HOF Player Set.
    Complete at least one registry set.
    Reach 85% on at least one registry set, 50% on at least 3 others, 33 1/3% on at least 3 others, and 25% on at least 7 others.
    Take at least 2 more of my pre-1950 registry sets over 20%, another 3 over 10%, and another 5 over 5%.
    Take at least 2 more of my '50s registry sets over 20%, 3 more over 10%, and another 5 more over 5%.
    Take at least 3 more of my '60s registry sets over 20%, 4 more over 10%, and another 6 more over 5%.
    Take at least 6 more of my '70s registry sets over 20%, 6 more over 10%, and another 7 more over 5%.
    Take at least 5 more of my '80s registry sets over 20%, 6 more over 10%, and another 7 more over 5%.
    Take at least 2 of my player registry sets over 50%, 5 more of my player registry sets over 33 1/3%, 5 more of my player registry sets over 20%, and 8 more of my player registry sets over 10%.
    Acquire at least 5 different autographed sports books.
    Acquire at least 20 type cards from vintage sets I don't have any of (any sport) - including adding a '59 Topps Venezuelan, a caramel type card, and a tobacco type card.
    Acquire at least 10 Venezuelan cards featuring HOFers.
    Acquire at least 5 Cuban cards.
    Acquire playing-days cards of at least 5 HOFers who I don't already have cards of (any sport).
    Pull a GU card of a HOFer (any sport) from a pack.
    Pull an auto card of a HOFer (any sport) from a pack.
    Acquire at least 5 GU or auto cards of HOFers who I don't already have GU or auto cards of.
    Acquire at least 5 vintage autographs of HOFers.
    Acquire at least 1 HOFer apiece from T-206, '33 Goudey, and '52 Topps.
    Reach 55% on my '54 Topps and '54 Bowman Basic (BB) registry sets.
    Reach 50% on my '36 Goudey and '56 Gum Adventure registry sets.
    Reach 50% on my '40 Play Ball, '59 Fleer Ted Williams, and '61-'62 Fleer Baseball registry sets.
    Reach 35% on my R423 and 1953 Bowman NBC TV & Radio Stars registry sets.
    Reach 25% on my '56 Topps Jets registry sets.
    Reach 20% on my 1952 Bowman NBC TV & Radio Stars registry set.
    Add 5% on at least 4 of my Upper Deck MVP gold parallel sets (00BK +1).
    Add at least 2 cards each on at least 5 of my Upper Deck MVP super script parallel sets.
    Add at least 75 Jerry Porter serial numbered rookies or rookie parallels.
    Add at least 20 Jerry Porter autographed cards and 15 Jerry Porter game-used cards.
    Add at least 10 Jerry Porter etopps cards.
    Add 1 item of game-used equipment from a HOFer (any sport).
    Add 10% to the completion percentage on at least 5 of my vintage sets and 5% to the completion percentage on at least 20 more of my vintage sets (any sport).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    #1. Add at least 5 HOF signatures to my 1990 MLB Alumni Reunion poster. Still working out the logistics since I don't live within 1,000 miles of the regular autograph circuit.

#2. Begin a dual signed baseball collection featuring historic pitching duos (Spahn/Sain, Koufax/Drysdale, Glavine/Maddux, Johnson/Schilling, etc...)