Home Precious Metals
Options

Money Clip, Gold Coin, Help Identify/Price

Boss just asked me to check something neat he had been saving for a while. Was a pretty cool piece but I dont know much about it. Anyone have any knowledge on this? Sorry for bad iphone pics. I will probably post this on the world coin forum if I dont get much feedback here. Any thoughts to what it is worth?

It says 14k on the clip (guessing that it is plated) that isnt shown on the pic. The coin (for bullion purposes) shows 37.5 grams. Shows two years, not sure what it really is though. Will google shortly.

Thanks!

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Man those pics are really bad... image

Did find this, no clue on the money clip though.

http://www.coininvestdirect.com/wiki/50-mexican-peso-gold-coins/

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the clip says 14k then it's not plated but 14 karat gold.
    The coin has a gold bullion value, based on today's spot price of around $2012.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mexican 50 peso gold coin has about 1.2 Troy ozs of gold if it's real.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>The Mexican 50 peso gold coin has about 1.2 Troy ozs of gold if it's real. >>

Best way to authenticate?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mexican 50 peso gold coin has about 1.2 Troy ozs of gold if it's real. >>

Best way to authenticate? >>

Take it to a jeweler and have it tested...both the coin & clip.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Can you post a GOOD high resolution pic? The coin looks cleaned/polished which is normal for a jewelry coins so it's essentially worth only melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Can you post a GOOD high resolution pic? The coin looks cleaned/polished which is normal for a jewelry coins so it's essentially worth only melt. >>

I cant, this was taken quickly at the office, boss has since gone home. It definitely was a "pocket piece" and was definitely cleaned.

Still a very neat piece, something I dont get to see everyday!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masonic symbols on the flipside, very interesting piece.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like you boss taste!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting money clip.... must be a bit of history around that.... see what you can find out...Cheers, RickO