Home U.S. Coin Forum

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• well ive just re-examined my PS 1914 5.00 and its basically MS 63 for sure which books at 3500.00 in both 2012 Charltons & Canadian Coin News Trends......and for which i paid 835.00..Reverse grades 65 Obverse 63 with lots of small bag marks and one lite scratch above ear

im pretty sure the coins werent selected by professionals! and they may have used the reverses to determine the greater part of the difference between HS and PS

but the RCM price is still way short of Trends..Up here in Canada we use Trends prices to determine retail value mostly and deduct a variable % to make a deal

trends price for an MS64 coin of the above is 10,000.00!

MS 62 Trends at 1600.00
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be safe to say that any price guide published before the hoard was revealed is totally obsolete.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>I think it would be safe to say that any price guide published before the hoard was revealed is totally obsolete. >>

im more inclined to go with the PCGS experts who think its too early to call the market values especially for the 64 and higher grades

we have to await the adjusted mintage survival numbers after the melting pot has ceased to bubble

meanwhile..... those ebay sellers are selling their coins based on reverse pics mostly to folks who missed the sold out parts of the offering

early days for this release..there will be a lot of surprises

the good the bad and maybe even the odd ugly

• << <i>

<< <i>I got fed up and earlier today (3:30pm ET) cancelled my 1913 $5 'regular' >>

The three $5 sold out quickly, with plenty of demand still out there from collectors who didn't get one. >>

That includes myself. So I called the mint and asked about the $5 coins and they said they had some 1913s available so I ordered one.

When I was a kid looking through the Charlton catalog these would be the coins I'd dream about having one day. I thought they were so cool. When I got my first job I managed to save enough for one, a 1912 $5 in MS61 (now THAT's a hacked up coin). But I ended up selling that when the financial pressures of being a student living away from home got to me. I've been waiting a long time to get one back, I can wait a little while longer.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it would be safe to say that any price guide published before the hoard was revealed is totally obsolete. >>

im more inclined to go with the PCGS experts who think its too early to call the market values especially for the 64 and higher grades >>

The new price levels have not yet been established.

The old price levels are now meaningless.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I got fed up and earlier today (3:30pm ET) cancelled my 1913 $5 'regular' >>

The three $5 sold out quickly, with plenty of demand still out there from collectors who didn't get one. With the bulk of the wait behind you, I'm "notsure" why you didn't just flip it for a profit at this point...

Anyone thinking of cancelling a $5 ought to try the BST first. >>

NotSure, it's a SureThing. image >>

Then you go on to say......

<< <i>My practice partner, who is not a coin person but is interested in buying gold, canceled his order for six because of the delay and the decrease in the price of gold since he placed his order late last year. I think he made the wise decision to do so. >>

So, it WAS wise for your practice partner to dump, due to gold dropping, and an inexcusable delay (my order date was 11/30/12), but I should have held on and tried the BST??? I guess I need some clarification, sometimes my name puns leave me scratchin' my head......

I DO wish they had been more expeditious with these and got mine to me, as I do wish I had one, still, but that delay (and I am not normally an impatient person, most of the time).....but I should have had the coin well before now.
    I'll come up with something.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The three $5 sold out quickly, with plenty of demand still out there from collectors who didn't get one. With the bulk of the wait behind you, I'm "notsure" why you didn't just flip it for a profit at this point...

<< <i>My practice partner, who is not a coin person but is interested in buying gold, canceled his order for six because of the delay and the decrease in the price of gold since he placed his order late last year. I think he made the wise decision to do so. >>

So, it WAS wise for your practice partner to dump, due to gold dropping, and an inexcusable delay (my order date was 11/30/12), but I should have held on and tried the BST??? I guess I need some clarification, sometimes my name puns leave me scratchin' my head......

I DO wish they had been more expeditious with these and got mine to me, as I do wish I had one, still, but that delay (and I am not normally an impatient person, most of the time).....but I should have had the coin well before now. >>

I'm not RYK, nor do I play him on TV, but I think he was referring to the $5 coins in your post, but most likely the $10 coins for his practice partner.
    For the $5 coins, they "sold out" super quick. I likely would have kept with one of them myself, but I nuked the $10 coins I had put on purchase order and am still glad I did.
    The $5 would have been slightly more palatable even given the games that seem to be getting played.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I DO wish they had been more expeditious with these and got mine to me, as I do wish I had one, still, but that delay (and I am not normally an impatient person, most of the time).....but I should have had the coin well before now. >>

My partner ordered 6 $10's. The $5's are selling for a hefty profit on eBay.
    $10's = NotSure
    $5's = SureThing image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see anyone using the words "hacked up" at all recently, I know I used the word " baggy" which I believe is accurate typically with these. >>

The term "hacked up" seems appropriate when someone previously used "King must have been in a knife fight" comment.

Anyway, that's how we roll in NY/NJ area, after all - anywhere else cant be America - right?image
  • Since my order on a couple of the $10 still said "processing", I canceled my order.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I am now seeing pops for the $5 gold reserve coins for PCGS. Not surprisingly the early coins are grading high, somebody has a good eye for coins!

1912 145 graded so far, mostly 64's, 63's, a few 65's.

1913 144 graded so far, nearly all 63's, a few 64's..

1914 174 graded so far, nearly all 63's, a few 64's..

For $10 coin we have:

1912 141 graded so far, mostly 63's.

1913 873 graded so far, mostly 63's, with a few 64's.

1914 1980 graded so far, mostly 63, with many 64's.

So as of now the only one to have 65's is the 1912 $5.

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I have a kind of question that may be of unimportance to some or most who are following this thread, but I want to ask it anyway. I received a 1913 $5 coin today and when I removed it from the mint box it was nestled in to inspect the reverse, I noticed that a small part ( maybe approx. 1/4") of the holographic material on one of the seals was missing. Would this concern you as a collector and more importantly would this affect the coin being graded at one of the major grading services? Thank you for any comments or observations in advance.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • It's still sealed, you're ok
  • Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭
    I just received one of my coins but dont want to ruin the submission for the pcgs insert. Can someone please confirm that if i open the box, but not the capsule with the hologram, that i will still be able to submit. I went to the hosts website, and that is how i interpret it, but just want to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

<< <i>I am now seeing pops for the $5 gold reserve coins for PCGS. Not surprisingly the early coins are grading high, somebody has a good eye for coins! >>

Half - these are nice coins.......the pops show it, I have them in hand and they are beautiful.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    7/8 I don't think we know if those coins submitted were hand select or premium's.
  • My order for a few $10 was still processing. I canceled it on March 14.

<< <i>7/8 I don't think we know if those coins submitted were hand select or premium's >>

I know of some submitted already from the hand selected - holdered 63's.

Mine are every bit 63's as well, with one nicer one (64).

Half - Have you received yours and can you give us your "informed" opinion?
  • 3/14/13 and still processing, incredible. No regrets on cancelling the 6 I had running although I do believe it is a fine coin to own. That said, I believe 1000 put into the new silver Eagle in Spring is a better gamble for me as a coin my kids can own and enjoy.
    With all the 63 coins I wonder how many buyers are cancelling and putting their money towards graded 64 or better coin. They may never sell out at this rate.

<< <i>The coin above has a 4 color print. I gave up counting on the Canadian label when I hit the coat of arms. must be over 10. There really isn't a place for a green label nowimage

image >>

Maybe they could put it over the word "Reserve". But seriously speaking, if this is the current label that is being offered for these coins, how is it I'm seeing the much better (IMO) gold foil labels being offered for sale on some dealers websites and on eBay?

<< <i>One of the qualities of these coins that most seem to embrace is the originality of this offering. Maybe a crazy idea but has anyone besides myself considered leaving this original offering in the original packaging. >>

I have and I am truly excited about this offering from our friendly neighbors up north. There seems to me that on this forum that no matter what, there always seems to be a conspiracy theory about anything cool that comes out.

• << <i>There seems to me that on this forum that no matter what, there always seems to be a conspiracy theory about anything cool that comes out. >>

Some people are just trying to protect other people from... well, something. image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The coin above has a 4 color print. I gave up counting on the Canadian label when I hit the coat of arms. must be over 10. There really isn't a place for a green label nowimage

image >>

Maybe they could put it over the word "Reserve". But seriously speaking, if this is the current label that is being offered for these coins, how is it I'm seeing the much better (IMO) gold foil labels being offered for sale on some dealers websites and on eBay? >>

We were thinking maybe they could get the denomination on the slab to match the denomination on the coin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Here is my junkiest 1914 $5. The others I have are less baggy.

iPhone pictures
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing those pics. These look pretty nice and the packaging isn't bad either.
    I added a 1914 ten dollar to my order today... let's hope it arrives before the centennial of its mintage. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

<< <i>

<< <i>@realone..........I think you protest too much..but for those of you who might appreciate a bit of old fashioned hard logical analysis ......here goes

the Canada Gold 1912-1914 mintage figures show that 659,693 coins were minted as follows::
    295,634 5.00 gold
    364,059 10.00 gold
    230,00 were stored in the vaults [approx]
    30,000 released and 200,000 to be melted

net total mintage remaining is 459,693

30,000 coin released in MS condition is a drop in the numismatic bucket....In terms of rarity the gain in MS specimens is offset by the loss of total pieces. look at key date mintage figures in Canadian coinage
    1925 five cent ::200,050
    1925 0ne cent ::1,000,622,
    1948 ten cents ::422,741
    1927 twentyfiveC::468,096
    1948 50C :: 37,784
    1948 1.00 ::18,780

<< Now everyone and their mother can own one in ms whether it be through the mint or thru secondary dealers and later ebay. In addition all are going to be saved, none will be used and thus basically zero will ever see wear and thus their will be a bundle forever always on the market>> The same could be said for any coin series that we collect, even the spectacular collection you purchased from RCNH last year. I don't see those coins ever being spent and thus there will always be a supply of those available on the market. Although the selection on the market will not be fabulously toned coins that you own.
  • I spoke with the mint last week, and the representative I spoke with informed me that they were trying to ship out all the coins by the end of the month. That make sense, seeing as how the RCM is a publicly traded company on the TSX and they'd want as much product shipped and profit made as possible by the end of the quarter.

One business day left and still processing. I can wait though.

I was wondering if anyone else thought that these coins are becoming hard to find, not only being shipped from the the RCM but trying to acquire one from the secondary market such as ebay? I bought a 1913 $5 from a Canadian seller a few weeks ago, and I've been monitoring these coins pretty regularly, and from what I gather these coins are hard to come by. Maybe it's because they all haven't been shipped yet, but I wonder if these will develope into a hard to find item in the future, the hoard coins not the coins already on the market?
  • So I heard!
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
    I think the $5 golds will do well in price. According to our friends north of the border, there were only about 2,000 of each of the $5's released (or less). Link - scroll down halfway for chart. The $10 dated 1912 also had a small number released, and the $10 golds dated 1913 and 1914 had the most released. So if anyone wants the $5 golds, there really aren't that many to go around. The $10s had more released, and they're already more expensive to begin with, so I don't see the same upside for the 1913 or 1914 tens, though the 1912 will probably do well.

However, in my experience, the quality of the coins is not consistent across the various dates. There's a reason there were fewer of certain dates/denominations released -- it's because what they had in the vaults was mostly sub-par. I have the $5 golds for both 1913 and 1914, and also the $10 golds for those two dates, and the quality of the $10s is better than the $5s. All the coins have great reverses (MS 64 or 65 quality); however, the $5s have obverses that are closer to MS61-62. The $10s are better, probably closer to 63 even on the obverse.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>All the coins have great reverses (MS 64 or 65 quality); however, the $5s have obverses that are closer to MS61-62. The $10s are better, probably closer to 63 even on the obverse. >>

Considering that out of 1800 $5's graded there are only 21 pieces graded higher than 64 and for $10's, only 12 higher out of 4000 graded, that doesn't sound like anybody who bought one of these is going to get hurt too bad. image
  • I hope all of you received nice coins. I cancelled my order last month being perpetually in the "order processing" mode. Funny thing, Canadian Mint sent me an email for a survey regarding my experience....when I clicked the link I got an error message -- the website was down.

Well, I tried.

The coins look nice, I was not able to acquire one through the mint, but perhaps will pick one up in the after-market. Correct me if I am wrong, but are most of these getting TPG graded at the MS-63 level?

Thank You.

There's way more upside than downside to these. image I wish I had the money to buy more.
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>There's way more upside than downside to these. image >>

Not everybody posting here seems to agree with that assessment. image
    I just received an e-mail shipping notice verification of (1) 1913 $10 gold coin from the RCM at 4:35 a.m. this morning. Now comes the excruciating wait of it being delivered by Fedex. I will give an update on how it looks in hand when it arrives. Good luck to all who may have received a similar notice.
    These coins are the best thing to come out of Canada since Sour Patch Kids. I just ordered another 1913 ten dollar. image
  • I received a tracking number today myself, delivery expected Thursday (but I'll be in Vegas at the Members Only Show at the time).

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Im starting to get really annoyed...

Order Date: Dec 07, 2012
    Order Status: Processing as of Dec 10, 2012

4 Months... Really?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

<< <i>Im starting to get really annoyed...

Order Date: Dec 07, 2012
    Order Status: Processing as of Dec 10, 2012

4 Months... Really? >>

Call them. I ordered mine much later and have received them already.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called today on my Nov 30 order and verified its "still in process". The rep said they were told all coins would be shipped by mid-March...and has heard nothing more.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • My 1913 Hand-Selected $5 coin arrived yesterday. These pics aren't the greatest, I don't have my photo setup at home so this is just handheld next to a window. But it does give you a general sense of the quality. Obverse is a bit baggy (although I think the single light source exaggerated the mark on the right), the reverse is very clean, coin is a lot more lustrous than the photos depict.

On the whole I'm pretty happy with the coin. As I've said I always wanted one of these to hold on to.

• << <i>My 1913 Hand-Selected $5 coin arrived yesterday. These pics aren't the greatest, I don't have my photo setup at home so this is just handheld next to a window. But it does give you a general sense of the quality. Obverse is a bit baggy (although I think the single light source exaggerated the mark on the right), the reverse is very clean, coin is a lot more lustrous than the photos depict.

On the whole I'm pretty happy with the coin. As I've said I always wanted one of these to hold on to.

image >>

This one is "hand selected" and not "premium hand selected," correct?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Correct.

• Looks like a pretty sweet coin. Looks like the marks are limited to the field on the obverse, and not the bust. And gold is primed for a rebound.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a pretty sweet coin. Looks like the marks are limited to the field on the obverse, and not the bust. And gold is primed for a rebound. >>

Left of ear in sideburn, bottom of chin look like dings. It's weird. Why are the obverses so marked up and the reverses so clean? Seems consistently that way. If the marks were from bag handling, seems to me that the reverses should be marked up, too. To my layman eye, evidence points to some / most of these obverse marks were introduced when minted.
  • There's something about the design that does that ... you'll see the same thing on Morgans. When the design is busy, like the reverse of a Morgan, or even a Lincoln commemorative, you're far less likely to get contact marks. Wide-open fields on the obverses seem to attract marks.
  • Here's a more detailed photo, shot through the plastic.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haters might hate... and those are some bad as coins. image

HE>I

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    I was at the White Plains show on Saturday and one dealer had several of the $10s for sale
    and said he had more on order.

They might have made sense when gold was at $1750 6 months ago, but not now when their cost
    represents a 50% premium over their melt value at $665.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High price today s4ny. Agreed (as "intrinsic" is concerned relative to commodity in the market) !
    It was a high price for common Saints in MS 62 and MS 63 at $900 four or five years ago, too.
    Yet, if gold drops to $500, the population will not increase. Will the collector base numbers ?

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file