Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you think?

Here are two more pic.

Edit for more pic.

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it for its 1877 status, except looks cleaned. in that image.

Hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool date! I agree with GB does look to have been shined up...

ABimage
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not look cleaned to me.
    But I question the authenticity.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    The obverse lettering seems really mushy and improperly spaced, but I don't collect this series.
  • Options
    I do not believe that coin has original color...but it is very nice looking...but also for my liking it should have four diamonds on the hair ribbon so if you do get UNC.....good luck!!!
    Take it easy.....Leo
    The Only Difference Between Men And Boys.....Is The Price Of The Toys
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think it looks fantastic. Very nice image
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But I question the authenticity. >>

For what reasons? It looks fine from here, very nice.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be the CU forums if at least one person didn't question authenticity. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    The only 'issue' with this is the tiny planchet defect on the obv at A3,
    otherwise it looks either PQ AU-58 or ~MS-63
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it's a fantastic coin!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Thanks All, We will see i'll post it when it gets back. Good or bad hope it's good. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Looks real to me, shallow N rev and the 2nd 7 in the date is slightly lower than the first. As for the color I always look twice Nd any key date coin in that high of a grade. The 77 has been a key date for a long time and any copper that is more or less all 1 color is troubling. All that said I can see it a nice lower MS holder.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Color is all wrong. The dig by the last A in AMERICA is also very distracting. AU Details, damaged, cleaned.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very nice 1877.

Here are OP's pix with the color corrected. Maybe this is more like the true color?
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense to the OP, but the coin has been cleaned, and I fear that is post-mint damage on the obverse, not a planchet flaw. Has it been sent to PCGS?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It wouldn't be the CU forums if at least one person didn't question authenticity. image >>

That is certainly one of the truisms for this place image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the first photo, the coin looks cleaned. in the subsequent photos, it does not. however, i think it's damaged on the obv. even if it gets a grade...that mark is this coin's scarlet letter.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell the color from the photos, so I can't give an option on whether it was cleaned or not, but it's definitely not MS, there is evidence of flatness/wear on the ribbon and curl. And the indentation to the right of the date looks like a strike through to me, not damage.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    au 55/58 cleaned at one time or another. jmo
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why something expensive and rare hasn't been holdered.....
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I sent it in today we will know in 5 working days. Cleaned damage or what ever it will be graded either way and i will love my little 135 year old KEY date Indian. Did I tell you guys how much i payed for it? I got it cheap. I payed "Fine" price for it so i was not going to pass on it how ever it grades. Some very good deals out there if you have the cash.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. That is the only year cent from 1857 to date that I haven't had one of. Someday I'm going to buy one just, so I can say I had every thing from 1857 to date. Now, the 1856 is another story...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the reverse much better than the obverse.

The obverse has many debris strike-throughs and the big dig is distracting. Is it MS? Maybe, but I would place a AU50 value on it.

The first image made it looked cleaned. It is probably not original regardless.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard to tell the color from the photos, so I can't give an option on whether it was cleaned or not, but it's definitely not MS, there is evidence of flatness/wear on the ribbon and curl. And the indentation to the right of the date looks like a strike through to me, not damage. >>

Like to add there appears to be wear on L I B.

I only have an 09 P in PC 5 RD in an OGH. Do not hold myself out as an expert in the series, but the coin looks like real deal. Re the color, Lance's pic does not look right for an original IHC with some mint luster. The dull, almost pinkish color tells me that someone altered its surfaces. It may be cleaned. While I don't see the many parallel small scratches that usually are visible on cleaned coins of this grade, there aren't many open fields on the IHC.

The fact OP paid 'fine' $ for it tells me that I'm probably right. Bet he'll get a 'genuine' coin noted as "altered surfaces." I'd say it's around an AU 55 re details.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck. That is the only year cent from 1857 to date that I haven't had one of. Someday I'm going to buy one just, so I can say I had every thing from 1857 to date. Now, the 1856 is another story... >>

The shop i bought it from has "2" 1856 I'm working on them next. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It does not look cleaned to me.
    But I question the authenticity. >>

I have to say I had the same reaction when I first looked at the obverse....but for the life of me I can't quite put my finger on why.

That said, I'm anything but an expert and will yield to those who are more experienced than I.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file