Home Precious Metals
Options

Question: Does anyone here own 1 ounce silver Philharmonics?

Had a question to ask you guys. I recently bought some 1 ounce silver philharmonics from our favorite auction site and had a quick question to ask. I'm like 99% sure they are real, but I wanted to clear up a small discrepancy.

The diameter and thickness check out and each coin weighs in at 31.35-31.45 ounces, but the ring seems to be a little off. When I use the ring test on my american eagles, it is REALLY LOUD, but when I do the ring test on these philharmonics, it isn't as loud. It rings but it is quite faint compared to the eagles.

Is it ringing quieter because of the thickness or are philharmonics generally like this? I had a guy on another forum suggest testing with nitric acid, but I'd rather not put a huge mark on the coins. Does anyone who owns philharmonics mind chiming in?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your weight appears to be on the high side accoding to Coin Update, unless your scale is off. Weigh an American Eagle with the same scale and compare that to correct weight (31.101 g). Will help determine accuracy of the scale.

Dates: 2008 - present
    Mint: Austrian Mint
    Weight: 31.1030 grams
    Composition: 99.9% silver
    Diameter: 37.0 mm
    Thickness: 3.2 mm
    Silver Content: 1 troy ounce

Austrian Mint agrees

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had a question to ask you guys. I recently bought some 1 ounce silver philharmonics from our favorite auction site and had a quick question to ask. I'm like 99% sure they are real, but I wanted to clear up a small discrepancy.

The diameter and thickness check out and each coin weighs in at 31.35-31.45 ounces, but the ring seems to be a little off. When I use the ring test on my american eagles, it is REALLY LOUD, but when I do the ring test on these philharmonics, it isn't as loud. It rings but it is quite faint compared to the eagles.

Is it ringing quieter because of the thickness or are philharmonics generally like this? I had a guy on another forum suggest testing with nitric acid, but I'd rather not put a huge mark on the coins. Does anyone who owns philharmonics mind chiming in? >>

I thought they were 1 oz rounds. I don't collect them myself.
    Did you buy them from Apmex?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>Your weight appears to be on the high side accoding to Coin Update, unless your scale is off. Weigh an American Eagle with the same scale and compare that to correct weight (31.101 g). Will help determine accuracy of the scale.

Dates: 2008 - present
    Mint: Austrian Mint
    Weight: 31.1030 grams
    Composition: 99.9% silver
    Diameter: 37.0 mm
    Thickness: 3.2 mm
    Silver Content: 1 troy ounce

Austrian Mint agrees >>

My american eagle came in at 31.35 as well, and a 1 ounce gold krugerrand came in at 33.89

<< <i>

<< <i>Had a question to ask you guys. I recently bought some 1 ounce silver philharmonics from our favorite auction site and had a quick question to ask. I'm like 99% sure they are real, but I wanted to clear up a small discrepancy.

Is it ringing quieter because of the thickness or are philharmonics generally like this? I had a guy on another forum suggest testing with nitric acid, but I'd rather not put a huge mark on the coins. Does anyone who owns philharmonics mind chiming in? >>

I thought they were 1 oz rounds. I don't collect them myself.
    Did you buy them from Apmex? >>

ebay
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are still in Mint sealed rolls...sorry, but I'm not about to open one up. Suggest that in the future you purchase these from reputable dealers...APMEX is one of them.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My american eagle came in at 31.35 as well, and a 1 ounce gold krugerrand came in at 33.89 >>

The krug should weigh 33.9303. Your scale is over for the silver and very close for the gold. I'd take the Philly to a coin store and have them weigh it and give you their opinion. A jeweler would probably weigh it for you on a known accurate scale.

Post a detailed pick of both sides of the Philly here, maybe that will give indication of fake. Wouldn't hurt to rule out appearance.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post pics? There are fake Philharmonics out there. Sad state of affairs, but
    there are fake Maple Leafs, too.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    They're probably fine. Government issued 1 oz rounds tend to be slightly overweight, so that their +/- tolerance is still greater than 31.1g at the lowest end.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a roll at the SDB and I would try to help, but even if it was here I may not be able too. Unfortunately (well fortunately, but that's a different story) I wear hearing aides and detecting the difference beteen the ring would be difficult, unless it was really noticabe. Took me almost a year wearing these things to tune my guitars again. image

Anyway, I would THINK the ring would be slightly different ... probably more muted ... as I remember the Philharmonics being thicker, with a plain edge and in lower relief, all which should affect the ring (if my memory of acoustics is correct).

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My american eagle came in at 31.35 as well, and a 1 ounce gold krugerrand came in at 33.89 >>

The krug should weigh 33.9303. Your scale is over for the silver and very close for the gold. I'd take the Philly to a coin store and have them weigh it and give you their opinion. A jeweler would probably weigh it for you on a known accurate scale.

Post a detailed pick of both sides of the Philly here, maybe that will give indication of fake. Wouldn't hurt to rule out appearance. >>

Here are some pics below.

I did the ice test when I got home today, and the ice was melting fast once it was placed on the coin. I did it with my silver eagles and it was melting at pretty much the same speed.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple. Milkspots=real as far as i know too, the ones i have are spotted. Looks real to me.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I own some.
    Your's look fine.
    Relax. Do yourself a favor, buy from Provident, APMEX or some other reputable dealer next time.
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>I own some.
    Your's look fine.
    Relax. Do yourself a favor, buy from Provident, APMEX or some other reputable dealer next time.
    Best. >>

The thing is, I know how to get 4% off bullion purchases through eBay even with a credit card payment.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but is it worth the repeated anxiaty you will probably go thru everytime you buy from eBay?
    Better yet, buy from the BST forum here.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're probably fine. Government issued 1 oz rounds tend to be slightly overweight, so that their +/- tolerance is still greater than 31.1g at the lowest end. >>

This has been my experience with Philharmonics as well. They are overweight!! That means extra silver for you, and I love the overall look of the coin as well. Very well done. And fat!! I bought thousands of them from reputable sources and they always weighed between 31.3-31.4 oz. each on my jeweler's scale, for years 2008-2011. I've never bought any 2012 years so I don't know about them.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you post pics? There are fake Philharmonics out there. Sad state of affairs, but
    there are fake Maple Leafs, too.
    bob >>

Mine are slabbed for this reason (bought that way, no I didn't pay the slabbing fee you can buy them slabbed on eBay for the same price as raw typically).
    Anyway can't help you in regards to the ring or weight, sorry.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They're probably fine. Government issued 1 oz rounds tend to be slightly overweight, so that their +/- tolerance is still greater than 31.1g at the lowest end. >>

This has been my experience with Philharmonics as well. They are overweight!! That means extra silver for you, and I love the overall look of the coin as well. Very well done. And fat!! I bought thousands of them from reputable sources and they always weighed between 31.3-31.4 oz. each on my jeweler's scale, for years 2008-2011. I've never bought any 2012 years so I don't know about them.

imageimageimage >>

Any comments on the ring when you tap it with another philharmonic?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they do sound different than Eagles (or Libertads, for that matter). I believe it's because of the way they are shaped. Maybe the Austrians figured a coin called a Philharmonic had to have superior acoustical qualities. image I wouldn't worry about the authenticity of your coins. However, I think it best not to handle the coins with bare hands, so as to avoid fingerprints. They might be considered collector's items in the future. image In fact, I would expect them to command a slight premium in the future as more people become aware that they are overweight.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky