Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Jordan Star #101 RC - So Awesome - So Slept On - AKA The Star Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Yep its gotta be the same person. Troll to Troll conversation.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of Fleer interaction lately so I will try to bring it back to the OPs theme. My favorite three Jordan star cards are

3. the 1985 ART- All rookie team. What a phenomenal set showcasing the 1984 NBA picks ....arguably there best draft of all time.
    2. 1985 Slam dunk 5x7 all participants cards. Shows everyone on a large format card easily the best dunk contest group of all time
    1. 1985 slam dunk Jordan individual card. 5x7 card of a classic Jordan mouth open, gold chain flying over the shoulder dunk while wearing original Air Jordan's.

That card is so money!!!!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

<< <i>Yep its gotta be the same person. Troll to Troll conversation. >>

Then you are Senior Troll haha!
  • Options

<< <i>Charrigan don't know you but do you have any high end cards? You talk big but you have no substance. >>

Nope - nothing good. And, once you've been here for a couple of months, you'll realize that it's definitely a requirement to be a valuable contributor on these boards. Your posts will get deleted if you don't have a high enough Registry placement. You BGS guys should watch out!
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Pregnant grannie still thinks it is a sheet cut card...just can't get that woman to listen. She lost her hearing in a Boeing factory. let call my dead girlfriend and ask her. Federal Way still says the Psa 10 looks so much nicer.
  • Options
    Mr. Mint, what are you referring to?
  • Options

<< <i>Jealous??? Nah this is mine. Troll I have been on here for 3 years you a few weeks?

image >>

Low end Psa 10 off centered top to bottom.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Charrigan don't know you but do you have any high end cards? You talk big but you have no substance. >>

Nope - nothing good. And, once you've been here for a couple of months, you'll realize that it's definitely a requirement to be a valuable contributor on these boards. Your posts will get deleted if you don't have a high enough Registry placement. You BGS guys should watch out! >>

So "mr.mint's" dumb dead grandma posts count as contributing to you? wow
  • Options
    Beautiful PSA 10. Card is pushed up against top of holder...very nice centering.
  • Options
    N doggy please log out and bring back beng. Haven't heard from him in a while.
  • Options
    There he is.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nope - nothing good. And, once you've been here for a couple of months, you'll realize that it's definitely a requirement to be a valuable contributor on these boards. Your posts will get deleted if you don't have a high enough Registry placement. You BGS guys should watch out! >>

So "mr.mint's" dumb dead grandma posts count as contributing to you? wow >>

Grannie was actually very smart until she died 4 times...amazing lady
  • Options

<< <i>Pregnant grannie still thinks it is a sheet cut card...just can't get that woman to listen. She lost her hearing in a Boeing factory. let call my dead girlfriend and ask her. Federal Way still says the Psa 10 looks so much nicer. >>

Well yes I agree it does look nicer... After all it's a 10,000 dollar PSA 10... Mine is a mint 9

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to my once-beautiful thread/discussion?! image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take the BGS any day.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    IMO, both cards are not perfect on centering if you want to harshly critique them, but both do have really nice centering. Yes, there is a chip or two on the edges of BenG's BGS 9, but for a 9, it's a nice looking card. Just as nice as most PSA 9's. The only thing I can pick about on his card is that the edges should have been a 9 subgrade instead of 9.5 due to the chipping. If anyone really wanted a fair comparison test, it would have been more fair to compare his BGS 9 to a PSA 9 instead of a PSA 10.
  • Options
    The 10 in hand has better centering than the scan. Bill Simmons loved the card when he saw it at the Chicago National last year.
  • Options

<< <i>The 10 in hand has better centering than the scan. Bill Simmons loved the card when he saw it at the Chicago National last year. >>

That's fine. I am just saying if you really pick it, it's not perfect either. I don't believe any card truly is as I believe you can find a flaw on almost any BGS 9.5 or PSA 10 card if you truly examine them. I always do anyway.

Is that a great looking PSA 10 Jordan? You bet.
  • Options
    Stan, believe me I agree NO CARD is perfect and 10's do have flaws. But those flaws are normally small and fit within PSA standards. However, I'll take a PSA grade over BGS any day.
  • Options
    Seriously, this thread has been linked on a number of other forums and became THE source for information on the #101 XRC.

Now it's just a flaming mess. image
  • Options

<< <i>Stan, believe me I agree NO CARD is perfect and 10's do have flaws. But those flaws are normally small and fit within PSA standards. However, I'll take a PSA grade over BGS any day. >>

Yes, I agree they fit within the grade just fine. Like I said, that Jordan PSA 10 is beautiful.

You are entitle to own only PSA cards if that is what you prefer. I prefer to buy the card and not the holder as there are great cards in PSA, BGS, and SGC slabs. Buying blindly with just one brand can spur a false sense of 'security' if you ask me. A person just has to use an 'eagle eye' so to speak, and truly know what they are looking for/at, and they can be rewarded with great cards from any of the 'big 3'.
  • Options
    I agree and own MANY cards from each.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree and own MANY cards from each. >>

Smart man. image
  • Options
    Here's something kinda cool:

Beater Card image

• Options
    Glitch triple post.

• Options
    Triple auto post-- silly interweb.

• Options
    Has a 9.5 ever hit the open market to date? That should fetch some serious coin.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up this baby this past week.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Sweet Card Bobby.
  • Options
    Nice card. How much you pay for the 8 if you don't mind me asking.

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    Thanks Dustin!!

<< <i>Nice card. How much you pay for the 8 if you don't mind me asking. >>

I paid enough for it!! image
  • Options
    Newest Addition...........

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Sweet Star MJ Matt!!!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a couple nice cards Matt and Bobby. Matt, the centering on your card is about the best you can do on this issue.
    Steve
  • Options
    Great pick up. Glad to see the Star #101 getting some much deserved love.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous acquisitions, fellas. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, but I fancy MJ's Star over Fleer all day, every day. Still so patently underappreciated, imo.
  • Options
    I, too. prefer the Star to the Fleer. My 2015 goal is to get a Star back in my collection. And that's no knock on the Fleer. Love the Fleer, too. Just love the Star more, and find it the more impressive piece of the two. It's just that the Star is his true RC, an officially licensed NBA card. No TPG politics can change that; no TPG politics can take away the mythic aura that shrouded that card in our youth.

• Options

<< <i>Has a 9.5 ever hit the open market to date? That should fetch some serious coin. >>

Yes, one just hit Beckett Auctions. However, the grade of 9.5 for this particular example wasn't just generous, it was suspect.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has a 9.5 ever hit the open market to date? That should fetch some serious coin. >>

Yes, one just hit Beckett Auctions. However, the grade of 9.5 for this particular example wasn't just generous, it was suspect. >>

Just looked at the card…you are absolutely correct. 3 white corners and a very noticeable tilt…I've seen better looking 8's.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, one just hit Beckett Auctions. However, the grade of 9.5 for this particular example wasn't just generous, it was suspect. >>

Just looked at the card…you are absolutely correct. 3 white corners and a very noticeable tilt…I've seen better looking 8's.

>>

OMG

Article

The opening statements of this article couldn't be any more false. This is not an almost pristine copy.

If Beckett wants to stay relevant they must quit giving out these grades and auctioning the card off too.

A true Gem Mint copy of this card would be a monster for sure.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Which one would you rather have?

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    agree wholeheartedly on the same house grading/auctioning.

and card on the left is noticeably trimmed on the bottom, but I wouldn't pay $50K for the one on the right either.

edited: ...appears to be noticeably trimmed. sorry.

I know nothing about this card.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which one would you rather have?

image >>

I would take your 9 all day.

• Options
    I prefer the 9.5 on the left. The 9 on the right is most likely sheet cut being a larger size. From analysis of a board member larger sizes are more likely sheet cut. This makes the 9 on the right less desirable.
  • Options

<< <i>agree wholeheartedly on the same house grading/auctioning.

and card on the left is noticeably trimmed on the bottom, but I wouldn't pay $50K for the one on the right either.

I know nothing about this card. >>

The card on the left is most definitely NOT TRIMMED. As one gets to know the card more intimately, one learns that the Star Jordan essentially has two cuts-- those are prime examples of the two. The card on the left is 100% not trimmed. For some time prior to beginning this thread and ever since, I have become a student of this card (and a handful of others). The card is not trimmed. Feel bad for the owner and eventual buyer if that's what some would think, so just want to say that for the record. Not at all trimmed. The right card is oversized and a few I have seen are like that.

• Options
    so you are saying it's not trimmed?
  • Options
    Pretty sure image

• Options

<< <i>agree wholeheartedly on the same house grading/auctioning.

I know nothing about this card. >>

Upon close inspection I have to agree with this observation.
  • Options
    yeah, im gonna have to stick to my guns as well on it being trimmed. not to say you are wrong with there being 2 different sizes and if that's the case, then that might be one of the reasons that psa wont grade it. who's to say it wasn't one of the oversized trimmed down to mock the smaller version?

but getting back to the trimmed convo, there's a lot missing from the bottom of that card and if there were, indeed, 2 different sizes, wouldn't all 4 borders be a tad smaller? not just a significant and I mean significant rip from the bottom?

as stated, don't know much on this card other than: psa wont grade it, tons of counterfeits, apparently 2 skewed sizes and now colors.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah, im gonna have to stick to my guns as well on it being trimmed. not to say you are wrong with there being 2 different sizes and if that's the case, then that might be one of the reasons that psa wont grade it. who's to say it wasn't one of the oversized trimmed down to mock the smaller version?

but getting back to the trimmed convo, there's a lot missing from the bottom of that card and if there were, indeed, 2 different sizes, wouldn't all 4 borders be a tad smaller? not just a significant and I mean significant rip from the bottom?

My thinking too.