Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Jordan Star #101 RC - So Awesome - So Slept On - AKA The Star Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Markmac- Beautiful Star MJs! That subset bag and the Oly/Spec Bag are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Rookie Mike has serious flavor.
  • Options
    I see someone posted another Ewing RC.... Take a look at the white frame and black frame lines between the blue border and picture. Note the difference in placement of the black lines between the PSA holdered and the other one. This is an example of what I mentioned about the bad batch having the film negatives laid differently than the original batch. The PSA holdered Ewing is not from the original batch. There are other differences, but, this one is most obvious from the scans in this thread.

Someone asked about an investigation or lack thereof in this thread. Actually, Lewin and Laytin, a NY Law Firm, was hired by the NBA in the early 1990's to do an investigation on these cards. Before I was "self-appointed as the expert", Jeff Laytin asked me to show him the difference in the two batches of 85-6 Star NBA Series Two, #'s 95-172. They did extensive testing and research, and, only the 85-6 series two 2nd batch was found to be an issue. No reprinting of other sets / years was found. As to the 85-6 2nd series second batch. Best guess was due to the layering of the film negatives, this was supposed to have been destroyed / trashed, and, a specific employee (of the printer) was suspected for stealing it before it was destroyed. There are a couple other possibilities, but, none can be proved. A key to note, is none of the original dealers received cards from this 2nd batch WITHIN their original orders for bagged sets. IF SOMEONE CAN PROVE OTHERWISE, I'D SURE LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT IT.....

Over the years, PSA has quietly bought back many of the bad batch 85-6 Star 2nd series, MJ-10 Card singles, and Best / NEW cards that they incorrectly holdered. I was the one that originally informed Mike Baker (then of PSA), about the problem. Within a couple days, they announced they would no longer grade Star Co. I was told, at the time, that approximately 30-40 cards were likely graded that should not have been graded. Over the years, I've had people tell me PSA bought their card (that was from the bad batch). Thus, I don't think there are many left still holdered. That Ewing is likely one of very few.

PLEASE NOTE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A COUNTERFEIT MICHAEL JORDAN #101 RC IN A PSA HOLDER. That does not mean there isn't one, but, I've never seen a bad one in their holders. With the amount of 101's I've seen over the years, I doubt there is a counterfeit in their holders of a MJ-101. The only fake 101 at that time was the "corduroy" version, which, was absolutely crap for quality. It was the 85-6 #117, Best / New, and MJ 10-Card Set singles that were the problem. THE DIRTY LITTLE SECRET IS, SO FAR, THERE ARE NO GOOD, HIGH QUALITY MJ-101 COUNTERFEITS. There is extreme fear that someone will finally do one, but, there are NOT any high quality one's right now.

If I were to sit in a room with the PSA grader's, it would be to dispel all the bad rumors, followed by a rather simple run-thru of how to authenticate. It's SO EASY to learn..... It's really about clearing up a LOT of incorrect rumors. Did I mention how easy it is to teach professional grader's how to authenticate Star???
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    That is fantastic info to have here on the thread.

On a related note, I am really feeling the itch to get a high-end BGS 9 #101-- but not to get crushed on the price, lol.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is fantastic info to have here on the thread.

On a related note, I am really feeling the itch to get a high-end BGS 9 #101-- but not to get crushed on the price, lol. >>

Matt and anyone else that has contributed, well done, these are exactly the kinds of discussions we need more of.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MattyC, I think you will be correct in a surge in price if PSA does start grading these. I can't even guess whether or not they will, so I won't bother offering an opinion on that.

• Options
    Seeing as how we have had such a great discussion going here on the Star cards, I had a question I felt would be best posted here...Why is there no VCP data on Star Basketball?

There is a ton of activity on eBay and these seem to sell at the big auction houses as well. VCP lists so many oddballs, why not Star Basketball? Seems like a huge disservice to those that collect these cards.
  • Options
    There is a very nice BGS 9 JORDAN STAR #101 RC on ebay right now... at $3000 with time left. Centering looks really nice on this one even though it says 8.5.

Jordan #101 BGS 9 on ebay
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I know it gets a bit distorted when seen through the holder and the penny sleeve, but those corners don't look like 9's to me.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing.

Four white touched corners is not mint to me.

• Options
    Yeah the centering seems better than the corners. Submitter def got some love the day that one was graded. The two best BGS 9s on ebay now have 9 corners as well-- and their corners look infinitely better than the corners on this one now being auctioned.
  • Options
    So the BGS 9 MJ-101 just sold for a healthy $6100-- not bad for a 1984 card! Trying to think of most expensive cards in MINT 9 grade from 1970 on... The 1971 Munson comes to mind as more expensive in 9...but is the MJ 101 next? Will have to think more on it and edit this post later but if so, it's just another way to view and appreciate this card.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    This thread inspired me to pick up one of my favorite players card. Thanks Matty..First time Ive owned a Star Card

Is it surprising that this isnt an 8.5 with 3 subgrades so strong? - I know there is a 7.5 there but i was reading that Beckett does give some cards 1 point higher than the lowest subgrade.
    And considering the centering on all almost all the Olajuwons are pretty rough was just wondering about that.

Link

Wanted to add...the one i got is:

7.5/9/9/9.5 BGS 8

there is another one on ebay right now:

7.5/8.5/8.5/9 BGS 8

• Options
    Latest BGS 9 Jordan 101 RC is up thru PWCC. Already $2650.

A BGS 8.5 is also doing well on ebay right now, and leads with a back scan and the front scan isn't even that clear.

Links...

BGS 9 Jordan 101 PWCC auction

BGS 8.5 Auction
  • Options
    Yeah I think the left centering on that prior 8.5 may have turned some collectors off-- not that paying nearly 2K for a card is anything to sneeze at!

The BGS 9 up now has very good centering for this card.
  • Options
    Man-- the BGS 9 MJ 101 is already $7700. Could it hit 9K with a hail of last second snipes?

Also, is the Star Jordan 101 RC the single most expensive sportscard in MINT 9 grade of its era? Gotta check that out, might be by far the most valuable. Hard pressed to think of another. For that matter, how many 1970's cards command 8K in MINT 9, other than perhaps the 71 Munson? This card is definitely in elite company.
  • Options

<< <i>For that matter, how many 1970's cards command 8K in MINT 9, other than perhaps the 71 Munson? >>

Maybe a 1973 Topps Pin-Ups Nolan Ryan. Maybe.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    It's a great card. I know the fleer is more iconic but I've always had the star card on my personal checklist. Unfortunately it still hasn't been crossed off. It's one of the few cards that I think has a ton of upside.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Bumping this incredible read!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    This is an incredible thread. There is a BGS 9 #101 available on eBay right now. What are some thoughts on price, appearance, and confidence in the card's authenticity?

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    There is an abundance of fake Fleer rookies too, along with thousands of other faked cards in the market. I'll never understand why that is an issue with the Star XRC.
  • Options
    Does Psa grade & encapsulate sealed bags?

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options

<< <i> This is an incredible thread. There is a BGS 9 #101 available on eBay right now. What are some thoughts on price, appearance, and confidence in the card's authenticity? >>

I have no idea where the market is for this card. I've been eyeballing this card this card in general and have recently bee picking off some of the 85 issued cards, as well as the Miller Lite and Gatorade, which as I'm reading this were issued later than the 1985 date that are on the cards. I really would like to add all the 84 and 85 Star cards to my collection along with the Gatorade, Lite and Crunch N Munch card.

As for the card your asking about, not sure if your referring to the one for $9999 or the one for $8999 but I believe both to authentic, and I'm basing that off the notoriously O/C right to left centering. I would feel good buying either one.
    Matt
  • Options

<< <i>This is an incredible thread. There is a BGS 9 #101 available on eBay right now. What are some thoughts on price, appearance, and confidence in the card's authenticity? >>

I love that card listed right now at 9,999... If I had that kind of disposable income, I'd probably pull the trigger on it and be thrilled!! Even though there's a good chance that I would've over paid. But that card in THAT condition, I'd bet almost anything that the price a BGS 9 is at right now will one day soon be considered a steal! I hope to save enough for a BGS 9 as soon as possible!

I also "over paid" for a Fleer RC BGS 9 about 3 years ago for 2400... But it has 10 centering and is just 0.5 from Gem Mint... Today i'm almost certain this card would get 3,000 easy. A BGS 9 Fleer RC with 10 centering and lesser subs just sold a few weeks back for 2600+!

So anyways, I can't wait to add a BGS 9 Star and I think both of the copies on ebay today are authentic. As soon as (and they will one day) PSA joins in on the Star grading fun, the BGS 9 MJ Star's will EXPLODE!!!

Here's my fleer rc by the way that I spoke of earlier... It will one day soon be paired with the 84 Star BGS 9 : )

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/JORDANBGS9MINE_zpsb41d71b4.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    It's mentioned in this thread that Steve spoke with Joe and Joe was not closed minded on PSA grading these cards down the line. Does anyone have any idea on how to go about asking PSA to look at grading these?
    Matt
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    How did that card get a 9 with that top left corner?
  • Options

<< <i>How did that card get a 9 with that top left corner? >>

You keep saying that. I don't even get what you're seeing exactly? Must just be the blurriness of that particular scan. I'll take a close up pic of that top left sharp corner just for you Allen. Now it's not razor sharp, hence why it's not a 9.5/10 on that subgrade. But sharp enough for a 9? Definitely
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is an incredible thread. There is a BGS 9 #101 available on eBay right now. What are some thoughts on price, appearance, and confidence in the card's authenticity? >>

I love that card listed right now at 9,999... If I had that kind of disposable income, I'd probably pull the trigger on it and be thrilled!! Even though there's a good chance that I would've over paid. But that card in THAT condition, I'd bet almost anything that the price a BGS 9 is at right now will one day soon be considered a steal! I hope to save enough for a BGS 9 as soon as possible!

I also "over paid" for a Fleer RC BGS 9 about 3 years ago for 2400... But it has 10 centering and is just 0.5 from Gem Mint... Today i'm almost certain this card would get 3,000 easy. A BGS 9 Fleer RC with 10 centering and lesser subs just sold a few weeks back for 2600+!

So anyways, I can't wait to add a BGS 9 Star and I think both of the copies on ebay today are authentic. As soon as (and they will one day) PSA joins in on the Star grading fun, the BGS 9 MJ Star's will EXPLODE!!!

Here's my fleer rc by the way that I spoke of earlier... It will one day soon be paired with the 84 Star BGS 9 : )

BenG your BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan looks better than most BGS 9.5's that I've seen. Big congrats on your fantastic card!image

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/JORDANBGS9MINE_zpsb41d71b4.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

• Options

<< <i>How did that card get a 9 with that top left corner? >>

Card looks like a very high end BGS 9 to me. BenG's BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan looks better than most BGS 9.5 fleer rookie Jordan's that I've seen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

BenG your BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan looks better than most BGS 9.5's that I've seen. Big congrats on your fantastic card!image

Thanks a lot bro I appreciate it. It truly is my pride & joy as far as the hobby goes. I thought I got a great deal on it long term. Since the day I picked this card up, I've still yet to see another BGS 9 with these kind of subs. Best I've seen are 9.5,9,9,9 & 8.5, 9.5,9.5,9.5 .... And very rarely do I see any (not even BGS 9.5's) with 10 centering! So I really got lucky!

Only way I'd part with my BGS 9 someday is if I can use it in a trade/cash deal for a BGS 9.5 with 10 centering & 3x9.5 .... But those are going for at least 8k .... Considering mine is only 0.5 off on two subs away from that one already, I think the 2400 I spend was a steal!

But anyways, I wouldn't do that trade anyways before getting my hands on my last true holy grail card: The BGS 9 1984 Star Jordan RC : )
  • Options
    That looks like an 8 to me. Very generous grading.

<< <i>

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/JORDANBGS9MINE_zpsb41d71b4.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

• Options
    How do you figure that?? At least point out what you see? Nothing is what I can see. Centering is 50/50, corners sharp, edges only with one noticeable chip, and no print dots on the surface. So what exactly are you seeing?
  • Options
    Top left corner has a ding..normal print dots in blue to left of name..nick on top border. Normal PSA 8. Even my dead pregnant girlfriend could tell that.
  • Options
    Top left corner does not have a ding. Single chip on top edge. Baby print dot in the blue = surface 9.

Educate yourself & your lady ; )
  • Options
    Thought you were going to get your grandmother to post more pictures. That scan has a ding on the top left corner. Based on PSA grading it would be a 6 at best due to the corner.
  • Options
    That is not a "ding" which I translate into you meaning it's a fuzy corner right? NOPE! I will post close up pics once I get home. All the edges are perfect gems except for one tiny noticeable chip. And baby print dot may just be the scan too. Pics will be up later tonight. High end BGS 9!
  • Options
    Rough Edges, Blurry Picture (Scan) High end BGS 9 is laughable!

<< <i>That is not a "ding" which I translate into you meaning it's a fuzy corner right? NOPE! I will post close up pics once I get home. All the edges are perfect gems except for one tiny noticeable chip. And baby print dot may just be the scan too. Pics will be up later tonight. High end BGS 9! >>

• Options

<< <i>Rough Edges, Blurry Picture (Scan) High end BGS 9 is laughable!

<< <i>That is not a "ding" which I translate into you meaning it's a fuzy corner right? NOPE! I will post close up pics once I get home. All the edges are perfect gems except for one tiny noticeable chip. And baby print dot may just be the scan too. Pics will be up later tonight. High end BGS 9! >>

>>

Rough edges????? Bad scan?? Wow jealousy is a sad thing. Outside of the top right chip, edges are flawless. You must not be educated in the slightest on 86 Fleer cards. Don't be a hater, just move along & work towards getting your own high end BGS 9

Besides I think I'll trust a professional grader who probably deals with 86 Fleer cards every other day over some jealous trolls.
  • Options
    Jealous??? Nah this is mine. Troll I have been on here for 3 years you a few weeks?

• Options
    I see lots of scattered chipping along that right edge. Some "gem mint" = your logic
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>I see lots of scattered chipping along that right edge. Some "gem mint" = your logic >>

Ben, a bit of advice...you're going to continue to open your card to criticism by aggressively defending your card, posting pics, and questioning the card knowledge and logic of others. If you're happy with your card and plan on keeping it long-term, why do you care what others think? And why the constant defending of BGS/bvg? Enjoy your card, your grade, etc. There are lots of great people on the site with a wealth of knowledge about the hobby. Enjoy it. Walk away from the banter.
  • Options
    Thanks Davis.

I don't aggressively post about or defend the card just out of no where. I'll simply post my pride & joy card... Then out the blue it'll be the same handful of weird people (one of then talks about dead grandmas & pregnant women ect) that decide to just randomly attack the card with no merit to their statements/opinions. I will ignore these people from now on. It's just jealousy. Not going to dumb myself down to their level. I do however have to post a good pic of the upper left corner just to close this case in my favor once & for all. Anything said after that picture I'll just consider it trolling and ignore it.

Thanks again
  • Options
    UPPER LEFT CORNER that a few haters want to call "dinged" .... Here it is "mrmint" ... Oh and the so called "print dots" in the blue to the left of his name? It was just a bad scan, that wasn't even taken by me by the way! So next time you few guys want to insult my card using "dead grandma" references... Stop and think about it for a second ; )

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps19b0a07b.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsb7f780bd.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    BenG your BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan is awesome a lot of people are jealous you have such a nice card. Enjoy your card and ignore themimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has devolved rather rapidly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>BenG your BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan is awesome a lot of people are jealous you have such a nice card. Enjoy your card and ignore themimage >>

Thank you man. Appreciate your positive posts. All I ever did was post pics of my card and chat about old Jordan RC's... And from the beginning I was labeled a "photobucket picture stealer" to "Joey"????? And then it was a small few (mr.mint leading the pack) that would say stuff like "oh that's a generous grade" and "that'd be a PSA 8 at best" ... and the "opinions" were based on made up flaws that they had in their heads of what they THOUGHT they seen smh... dinged upper left corner? false. not really 50/50 pristine centering? false. chipped rough edges all around? false. print dots all over in the blue bar to the left of MJ's name? false

The End

Have a nice night to the negative people out there!
  • Options

<< <i>I will [continue to not] ignore these people from now on. >>

FYP
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BenG your BGS 9 fleer rookie Jordan is awesome a lot of people are jealous you have such a nice card. Enjoy your card and ignore themimage >>

Thank you man. Appreciate your positive posts. All I ever did was post pics of my card and chat about old Jordan RC's... And from the beginning I was labeled a "photobucket picture stealer" to "Joey"????? And then it was a small few (mr.mint leading the pack) that would say stuff like "oh that's a generous grade" and "that'd be a PSA 8 at best" ... and the "opinions" were based on made up flaws that they had in their heads of what they THOUGHT they seen smh... dinged upper left corner? false. not really 50/50 pristine centering? false. chipped rough edges all around? false. print dots all over in the blue bar to the left of MJ's name? false

The End

Have a nice night to the negative people out there! >>

BenG I would love to own your BGS 9 Jordan fleer rookie as would most peopleimage
    The centering is fantastic! I'm looking for a star rookie too Patnaimage
  • Options
    Obv something weird going on here. 2 new members, both doing weird stuff with Jordan rookies. Sudden bromance. Apocalypse now.
  • Options

<< <i>Obv something weird going on here. 2 new members, both doing weird stuff with Jordan rookies. Sudden bromance. Apocalypse now. >>

Charrigan don't know you but do you have any high end cards? You talk big but you have no substance.
    Saw your eBay store nothing I'm interested in and now I know which seller to avoid.