Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1805 Draped Bust Half - Opinions Wanted / GTG

Very interested in your opinions on this one, especially opinions of the BHNC guys, and if you want to guess the grade too, have at it

I have it down as a O-112, and it has a about a 20deg CCW reverse rotation. My understanding is the O-112 is a common marriage for this date.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is the reverse rotated or the obverse?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grif thats a beauty. Love those early busts!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dang, did i forget to say nice newp!

xf45+

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Really nice, as the 1805 is tougher than most think

Grade? AU 50, maybe 45 if the graders were hung over.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking dime.....I will stretch and say 53
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beaut! 50.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be conservative and say XF45 but if the luster is there... AU50. Great piece!
  • Options
    I'd go with 45, but that's a great coin.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Maybe NGC 50, but I can't see our hosts calling it any higher than XF45. The surfaces just are a little too funky, IMHO, and some of that wear looks pretty deep.

But I'm not a Draped coinage expert by any means - Capped stuff is my thing, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the input so far ... even bidask image

Hey, you know his mind was somewhere else (where, we are not sure yet), because when I prodded him via PM, he came back with half dime! image

Anyway, I do appreciate the comments ... please keep them coming.

I'll reveal later tonight or tomorrow after we get a few more (hopefully) ...

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    I always like to guess the grade before seeing any other guesses and XF 45 is what my guess was.
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    ngc au55 nice coin !
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    53, great coin.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse looks better than the obverse. Terrific strike and should be AU50 but the obverse just has a look about it that makes question an AU grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I'm going to be conservative and say XF45 but if the luster is there... AU50. Great piece! >>

image Great looking coin though image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice!image
    Becky
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I also thought of 45 before reading other opinions. What a beautiful example of an early half dollar!
    Paul
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade it somewhere between EF-45 and AU-53 depending upon the luster. The 1805 Draped Bust half dollar is a lot tougher than both the 1806 and 1807, and when it is well struck, as this piece is, it is more attractive. Most of the 1805 half dollars have sharper detail than the 1806 and '07 pieces because they were more sharply struck.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.
    I like her as a 50
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Beautiful coin! I would grade it EF45 based on the photos. Very desirable, whatever the number!
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments ... she's a looker, that's for sure.

Damn some of these girls get expensive! image

As for the grade:

NGC graded her as an EF45, and I agree. She has claims to a higher grade, and maybe worthy, but I like her as a solid, attractive 45. Luster just isn't quite enough IMO, and she isn't quite as wholesome as it might take otherwise.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at that pretty old girl!! I'll go with AU-50. VERY nice!!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just look at that pretty old girl!! I'll go with AU-50. VERY nice!!

image >>

ohmygawd, I love this! imageimageimageimageimage Definitely using it sometime (hope you don't mind).

That movie is classic!

And OP, even with the "funky" surfaces, she still is a well-struck, well-preserved Bustie! Hang onto her! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file