Home Sports Talk
Options

Here come the Irish! ;) BCS National Championship game, congrats to LodiBrewFan and MrMint23

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
Notre Dame continued it's nice season yesterday with a thumping of the Sooners. About 150 of us from the Notre Dame Club of Dallas including former Heisman winner Tim Brown made the journey up to Norman yesterday. What a fun day. The stadium was packed. The largest crowd to witness any sporting event in Oklahoma ever, over 86,000 plus. I was sitting smack dab in the middle of Sooner season ticket holders, and was completely surrounded in Crimson. Good hosts for the most part. Of course, got the occasional "Notre Dame Sucks", etc., but that's to be expected. When OU scored to tie it in the 4th, they started giving me the business (I think they had waited the whole game thinking they were going to win, but not being sure of themsevles), however, just a couple plays later, Notre Dame made a 50 yard pass and you would have thought the Sooner fans had been shot, LOL. For such a confident group of fans pregame, I was really disappointed in them after the Teo interception as they made a mad dash to the exits (the game was by no means over, but I guess their will was broken) Got back in at 4 AM this morning and just now starting to recover, LOL.

I think this one is one of my favorites.

Bus ticket $50
Game ticket $280
Brisquet tacos $6.50
The look on Sooner QB Ali Landry's face when I told him they were going to lose, Priceless

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am the biggest closet Notre Dame fan, Im hoping they can win it all this year but with USC losing that dont help the Irish if they beat them. K State or Alabama needs to lose I think for them to have a chance.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    disliked Notre Dame a bunch when I was growing up, but after having seen many, many years of mediocre (or worse) teams, I am glad to see the program coming back. Losing has been a motivator. I would like to see them contend for the national championship.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Great pics, navarro....

If the Irish can avoid the letdown this week, they'll have one team (@USC) standing in their way of a BCS title game (I don't think K State and Oregon are going to finish undefeated with the schedules they have left).

I was a huge Irish fan growing up, but as my interest in college football waned, I stopped really following the team. Glad to see them back near the top.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    the Fightin' Irish are doing well this year.

Do you think they are getting better as season progresses? I still don't get what's going on with the QB position.

I think the Stanford game could have gone the other way but it didn't.

I only root against ND when they are playing Stanford and even then it's almost a toss-up because my better half is a ginormous ND fan and a happy wife makes a happy home.
  • Options

<< <i>the Fightin' Irish are doing well this year.

Do you think they are getting better as season progresses? I still don't get what's going on with the QB position.

I think the Stanford game could have gone the other way but it didn't.

I only root against ND when they are playing Stanford and even then it's almost a toss-up because my better half is a ginormous ND fan and a happy wife makes a happy home. >>

I do think they are getting better as their confidence progresses. Golson seems to be making better decisions at QB then he was making earlier in the season. Rees has performed well when they need him in relief. Rees is not mobile, so Golson gets the nod as he changes the dynamics for the opposing teams defense. ND's defense has been relatively stellar so far. They are pretty stout against the run in important situations. I don't know why opposing coaches even bother with running, just air it out and we are somewhat vulnerable to short, quick passes. We have two Freshmen cornerbacks that are converts from WR/RB I believe, and they are holding their own. Our best safety is injured and has been out. So if we have a defensive weakness, it's to the pass. I guess opponents kep trying to run in order to open up the play action passing game some, but from my non coaching observation, they waste valuable downs doing that.

I really enjoy that ND is playing football again like they did when I was there (Class of 1993). They'll line it up, smack you in the mouth, and try to run it right down your throat. They finally have the speed again as well to keep up with athletic type teams. Fun season so far. I don't worry too much about the rankings, much too hard to take bias out of the human polls. I know for years, Notre Dame got the advantage of polls due to their reputation as a "power" (like all traditional powers do), however after 20 years of mediocrity, and the disadvantage of conference coaches voting to help their own conferences, I fully expect the Irish to be at a disadvantage in human polls. It is what it is, such is life. Just continue to win football games and let the chips fall where they may. I think there is still 6 weeks of football left, and ANY team including Notre Dame can lose to any other team on any given week (well almost any, I wouldn't put much hope in those powers such as Towson or North Texas or someone like that pulling a key victory).

I do know that I'm having a blast watching the games again, and that I have the expectation again like I used to that we'll win every game we play. That's been missing many years now, and I'm glad that feeling is back, so in that respect, this season has been a success already.

GO IRISH!! Shake down the thunder!

Mike
  • Options
    Class of '93? Were you at the FSU win and or the BC loss?? I remember that '93 team with Kevin McDougal at QB, expectations were very low that year and I remember betting on Michigan to win and ND SMOKED them! Hard to believe that was his only year starting!
  • Options

<< <i>Class of '93? Were you at the FSU win and or the BC loss?? I remember that '93 team with Kevin McDougal at QB, expectations were very low that year and I remember betting on Michigan to win and ND SMOKED them! Hard to believe that was his only year starting! >>

I graduated in May of 1993, but my first trip back to campus was for the FSU game. An absolutely incredible atmosphere. I watched The BC game on TV the next week and rue the day I ever heard the name David Gordon, LOL. Still feel to this day that we got screwed out of the National title that year since they gave it to FSU with the same record and we beat them. I've been to a lot of great ND games over the years, but that FSU one was one of my favorites along with the Snow game against Penn State my senior year. Great times and great memories. McDougal was a warrior. if Golson will stop his propensity of running with the ball not being adequately protected, he's got a chance to be a very effective QB. That SHOULD be coachable but we will have to wait and see.

Mike
  • Options
    Very cool, just saw the following ESPN media zone press release. looks like the Irish still have a following (probably made up most of people hoping to see them get blown out, LOL). Nice ratings despite being up against the World Series and some other college games in the same time slot.

ABC’s Saturday Night Football broadcast of Notre Dame defeating Oklahoma 30-13 on October 27 garnered the largest audience for a college football game this season across any network. The non-conference showdown –a 5.2 average rating, 8,627,000 viewers and 5,950,000 households – is also the highest-rated and most-viewed telecast involving Notre Dame among all of broadcast and cable since 2006 (Notre Dame at USC averaged a 9.0 rating, 14,647,000 viewers and 10,048,000 households on ABC).
    In addition, the contest was the most-viewed program across all shows and networks on Saturday night among adults 18-49 (2.9 rating), men 18-49 (4.0 rating) and men 18-34 (3.4 rating).
    Oklahama City was the highest rated metered market for the game with a 36.0 rating followed by Tulsa (28.9 rating), Indianapolis (13.3 rating), Austin (11.6 rating) and Columbus (9.4 rating).
    ABC also televised the second highest-rated and most-viewed college football game of the 2012 season with the Saturday Night Football Presented by Windows 8 Michigan vs. Alabama game from Cowboys Stadium on September 1 (4.8 rating, 7,918,000 viewers and 5,452,000 households).
    -30-

• Options
    Irish are getting taken to the woodshed right now by Pitt. They've got 15 minutes to get it done down by two touchdowns or else the season is done early
  • Options
    TD Irish and then the sorry kicker misses the PAT. LOL, this kid has been awful all season. I think he is only 14 out of 20 on FG's this year as well. I don't understand why they haven't had a competent kicker since the days I went there and they had Hentrich

One good thing about the current kicker is he has a very strong leg. Maybe he will have a chance at redemption and a win in a few minutes
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOOOOOO HOOOOO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    What a wave of emotions today. Very fun game to watch. My leprechaun and I enjoyed it immensely. 9-0

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    An official Notre Dame thread! YES! Great Pictures too Mike! That had to of been a blast last week. This has been one hell of a ride this year.So many nail biters this year,but with the luck of the Irish, they all have gone our way!

We were really lucky to come out of this game with a win. After watching those first three quarters, I thought no way in hell would we come back. I also was furious at Kelly for starting Rees in the second half. Rees has helped us many times this year with his ability to find Eifert and make some big throws at key times of the game, I get that, but he had no business in my opinion starting in the second half. It can't be good for a young qb as in Golson to be pulled for no real good reason. I love the mobility of Golson and like you said Mike he keeps improving. Our kicker makes me really nervous every time he kicks too Mike. Now back to the other games,KSU,Oregon and Alabama. Can't believe I'm rooting for USC? GO IRISH!!
  • Options
    9-0! Go Irish!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    did you go to Notre Dame?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>did you go to Notre Dame? >>

Me? Yes, I'm Class of 1993. Enjoyed every moment except for the brutal weather. My Texas body was ill prepared to deal with the blistering blizzards. However, now I love to take my kids up for a week or so at wintertime so they can enjoy the snow and run and play in it, an experience we don't get to enjoy too often living South of Dallas.

Mike
  • Options
    Ok, end this once and for all please - is it pronounced 'Noter' 'Notra' 'Nahtra' 'No trey' etc. Please clarify this. Have always pronounced it 'Noter'
  • Options
    Im in the Notra' Dame camp image
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, end this once and for all please - is it pronounced 'Noter' 'Notra' 'Nahtra' 'No trey' etc. Please clarify this. Have always pronounced it 'Noter' >>

LOL, really just depends. If I'm home in Texas, I typically prescribe to 'No-ter Daim'. Across the pond, I'd probably use 'No-tra Dohm'. To be on the safe side, just say "Fighting Irish".

For detractors, they tend to go with "Notre Lame", "Neutered Dame", or a myriad of others.

Just go with your gut and you'll be fine image

Mike
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Me? Yes, I'm Class of 1993. Enjoyed every moment except for the brutal weather. My Texas body was ill prepared to deal with the blistering blizzards. However, now I love to take my kids up for a week or so at wintertime so they can enjoy the snow and run and play in it, an experience we don't get to enjoy too often living South of Dallas.

Mike >>

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>

Mike >>

Its a small world. I grew up south of Dallas (Red Oak if youve ever heard of it). I was a huge fan of the Irish back in the day.
  • Options

<< <i>

Its a small world. I grew up south of Dallas (Red Oak if youve ever heard of it). I was a huge fan of the Irish back in the day. >>

Yeah, Red Oak is just right up the road from me. I eat there occasionally, golf every now and then, and my sister in law and best friend both live there. I'm in Waxahachie. We were practically neighbors

Mike
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not been to Norman, but I would think there would be a statue of Bud Wilkinson

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I have not been to Norman, but I would think there would be a statue of Bud Wilkinson >>

If I remember correctly, there were 4 statues at the athletic dorm and I think he was one of them and the dorm was named after him.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, end this once and for all please - is it pronounced 'Noter' 'Notra' 'Nahtra' 'No trey' etc. Please clarify this. Have always pronounced it 'Noter' >>

LOL, really just depends. If I'm home in Texas, I typically prescribe to 'No-ter Daim'. Across the pond, I'd probably use 'No-tra Dohm'. To be on the safe side, just say "Fighting Irish".

For detractors, they tend to go with "Notre Lame", "Neutered Dame", or a myriad of others.

Just go with your gut and you'll be fine image

Mike >>

Thanks Mike, going with the gut. 'Nosferatu Demon' is it then.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Its a small world. I grew up south of Dallas (Red Oak if youve ever heard of it). I was a huge fan of the Irish back in the day. >>

Yeah, Red Oak is just right up the road from me. I eat there occasionally, golf every now and then, and my sister in law and best friend both live there. I'm in Waxahachie. We were practically neighbors

Mike >>

My dad worked in Waxahachie at owens-corning. Used to go to the library down there a lot. I think it was Sims library. Lots of memories from Texas! When I could talk mom into it, I went to Duncanville to The Dugout. Best card shop around that I knew of.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I have a tshirt thats says Fighting Amish of Yoder Dame. (for those that don't know, Yoder is to Amish like Smith is to nonamish).
  • Options
    Go ducks
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Bye, Bye Bama! My wife's Aggies took care of business. image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    So, that pretty much means whoever Oregon faces in the title game won't be able to stop the Ducks.
  • Options

<< <i>So, that pretty much means whoever Oregon faces in the title game won't be able to stop the Ducks. >>

Good luck duck head. image

• Options
    I wouldn't count the Tide out yet. They will be the first one loss team taken. Long season and many things happen. We were in the same spot last year and still lifted the crystal.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    I would not count Alabama out of the Title Game just yet- too many unpredictable things will happen

• Options

<< <i>I wouldn't count the Tide out yet. They will be the first one loss team taken. Long season and many things happen. We were in the same spot last year and still lifted the crystal. >>

It wouldn't surprise me if Bama stays number one. After all, according to all the talking head yappers, they should be able to compete in the NFL and probably would be a six point favorite to win the Super Bowl.
  • Options

<< <i> too many unpredictable things will happen >>

That I agree with completely. That's what makes college football so much fun. Kids get mad at their girlfriends/boyfriends and let it affect their game, do stupid stuff and get suspended, get the wrong guy hurt where they are not very deep, eat too much and get sick, etc etc etc and anything can and does happen. I'm fully cognizant that ND might lose their last three too. There are no guarantees. BUT, it's wicked fun while it lasts, LOL

Good luck to the IRISH and good luck to all the other fans of other schools as well. Don't take anything for granted, just watch'em tee it up and enjoy the ride

Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe another?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I had no thoughts about rooting for BC tonight, Im glad ND won!

As far as Bama even being considered #1 after tonight I dont think so, losing at Home was a devastating blow.

• Options

<< <i>As far as Bama even being considered #1 after tonight I dont think so, losing at Home was a devastating blow. >>

If Oregon wins tonight I have to think 'Bama drops to #4. With an Oregon loss, #3.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    go irish!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    wow Stanford will have ND fans!

Anyone started a Novena a few days ago in anticipation?

'Cuz secular Stanford will need some divine intervention to win.
  • Options
    I'll be at the Stanford game Saturday, and the BCS championship when Oregon faces whoever..... image

I like ND Mike, but barely beating Pitt in OT, etc.... Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>

I like ND Mike, but barely beating Pitt in OT, etc.... Good luck! >>

Have fun at the game. Barely beating Pitt was pretty impressive, as was watching the Ducks defense give up over 50 points a couple weeks back. Both of those outstanding performances were almost up there with the way Florida manhandled LaFayette, LSU completely dominating powerhouse Towson, and Georgia having such a hard fought, close loss to South Carolina (after all they were within only 4 touchdowns!)

LOL. Tee it up, let it fly, and let's see what happens.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I'm no Duck fan, being in the Seattle area I am actually a UW fan if anything. I know the Ducks gave up 50 or so points a couple weeks back (right?), but my point is that who can score MORE than them? And, are people really thinking ND can be in the title game? I don't have cable, so I don't hear all the "experts", so I have no clue.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm no Duck fan, being in the Seattle area I am actually a UW fan if anything. I know the Ducks gave up 50 or so points a couple weeks back (right?), but my point is that who can score MORE than them? And, are people really thinking ND can be in the title game? I don't have cable, so I don't hear all the "experts", so I have no clue. >>

ND can be in the title game, but for that to happen, more then likely the following things must happen

1). ND must win the remaining two games on their schedule (probably the biggest hurdle in the necessary chain of events IMO)
    2). Either Kansas State OR Oregon must lose one game (far more likely IMO)

Mike
  • Options
    An 8 game playoff this year would be truly epic with the teams that are on the field.
  • Options
    Cool, looks like no sec national champion this year. image
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, looks like no sec national champion this year. image >>

They still have a chance, but they need at least two of the teams ahead of them to stumble which isn't out of the question. However, it is fun to see them be at the mercy of other teams for a change. Much like the same boat Notre Dame is in, however their boat is taking on a little more water at a faster pace as ND needs just one above them to lose.
  • Options
    I really don't want to be the bad guy here, but ND is no match for Alabama, Oregon and likely KState. I am a Big Ten Fan and not much for the SEC- but as it currently stands, I would rather see ND play in Bowl game they can win