Home Precious Metals
Options

Any premium on these? Only 7 minted!

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options

I'm thinking that if these sell they will be firing up the easy bake oven again....soon! image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to anyone with any intelligence....that would still leave a boat full of potential biddersimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I do not have those two bars pictured in the link in the OP but I am familiar with those two particular bars. Those two are Rainbow Mint bars that were done by Ivan Rash and I do love some of his enameled artwork especially some of his enameled artwork that he did on some of old '70's silver art bars. I have bought an Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint from him before and I am satisfied with it.

As for the premium on those two particular enameled Rainbow Mint bars, the ebay marketplace will determine if those two bars are worth the price listed on ebay. If the marketplace determines that it is priced too high at $89.99, then it will not sell for that price. It is worth what a person is willing to pay for it and since these type of silver art bars are aimed for collectors, then the collector market on ebay will determine if it worth $89.99 or not. That is generally how a collector's market works on ebay and elsewhere and the silver art bar marketplace is not different IMO.

I know that the OP is LOLing at this but silver art bars do sell well and I have seen some sell for much more than $89.99.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to anyone with any intelligence....that would still leave a boat full of potential biddersimage >>

Like any other collector market, that will be determined by the ebay marketplace and as you well know, there have been several silver art bars that have sold for much more than $89.99 in the past. With that said, that does not necessarily mean this those two will sell at the price listed but it depends on the demand for those two particular Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint bars. A silver art bar of any type is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. In the past, I have bought a Rainbow Mint bar from Ivan Rash and I have bought silver art bars from the ebay seller listed in the two ebay links in the OP. Some people (such as myself) want to buy those type of silver art bars because they like them and do not mind paying that price for it. I have been on both ends of the silver art bar buying spectrum in that I have paid very high ebay premiums on silver art bars that I really wanted (but could not find locally or at coin shows) and I have also found and bought some rare and semi-rare silver art bars for .999 generic silver premiums that would normally sell for at least twice what I paid for them but have not sold them on ebay for a profit because I love what I collect and I do not want to part with it.

With all of that said, I do not usually buy silver art bars on ebay and I have not bought many of them on ebay this year because I have been concentrating on trying to find them for .999 generic premiums first at the LCS or coin show and I have had success in doing so this year and in past years since I started seriously collecting silver art bars in 2008. Even though I am just a collector and not a real silver stacker, that does not mean that I (or anyone else for that matter) have to pay an ebay collector's premium on a silver art bar if I am patient enough to wait to find one for .999 generic silver premiums at a LCS or coin show.

At the same time, I understand where you are coming from with your post because, for example, it would not make any sense for a person IMO to pay $75 for a common-minted holiday-themed bar such as those minted by Hamilton Mint, Madison Mint and Mother-Lode Mint since those can easily be found at a LCS or a coin show for .999 generic premiums. The knowledge level and experience of silver art bar collecting as well as accessibility (or maybe lack thereof) of getting to a LCS or coin show can also play a part in where a person buys a silver art bar and can also play a part in how much a person pays for it if they want one.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    As the saying goes....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....and as far as I'm concerned: "they ain't in my eye."
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not have those two bars pictured in the link in the OP but I am familiar with those two particular bars. Those two are Rainbow Mint bars that were done by Ivan Rash and I do love some of his enameled artwork especially some of his enameled artwork that he did on some of old '70's silver art bars. I have bought an Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint from him before and I am satisfied with it.

As for the premium on those two particular enameled Rainbow Mint bars, the ebay marketplace will determine if those two bars are worth the price listed on ebay. If the marketplace determines that it is priced too high at $89.99, then it will not sell for that price. It is worth what a person is willing to pay for it and since these type of silver art bars are aimed for collectors, then the collector market on ebay will determine if it worth $89.99 or not. That is generally how a collector's market works on ebay and elsewhere and the silver art bar marketplace is not different IMO.

I know that the OP is LOLing at this but silver art bars do sell well and I have seen some sell for much more than $89.99. >>

Oh, I stand corrected then. At a quick glance they looked to me like someone literally just painted over a silver bar. Then threw it up on ebay with a $60 premium for their "art". Even looking at them more closely now, they still just look like they were painted (poorly) rather than enamelled.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as much as i dont buy on fleebay anymore it sure is fun to see some of the carp on here that people try to sell
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not something I would buy, but remember, many, many people purchased Beanie Babies (for incredible sums).... and many still have them - with zero market now. I guess it would be better to buy silver art bars in the long run....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not have those two bars pictured in the link in the OP but I am familiar with those two particular bars. Those two are Rainbow Mint bars that were done by Ivan Rash and I do love some of his enameled artwork especially some of his enameled artwork that he did on some of old '70's silver art bars. I have bought an Ivan Rash Rainbow Mint from him before and I am satisfied with it.

I know that the OP is LOLing at this but silver art bars do sell well and I have seen some sell for much more than $89.99. >>

Oh, I stand corrected then. At a quick glance they looked to me like someone literally just painted over a silver bar. Then threw it up on ebay with a $60 premium for their "art". Even looking at them more closely now, they still just look like they were painted (poorly) rather than enamelled. >>

I do not think that you were really wrong because this can be entirely subjective and opinions will vary in terms of how poor or how great it looks. When I spoke to him a long while ago and if I remember correctly, Ivan Rash does this by hand and I am guessing that it takes a long while to finish something like that. I mainly wrote that because I was familiar with Ivan Rash's Rainbow Mint colored art work when I clicked on the ebay links in your OP and some of his work look nice to me. I have bought from him (via ebay) in the past and I am satisfied with what I purchased from him. However, like OPA said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and opinions will vary on this.
  • Options

<< <i>Not something I would buy, but remember, many, many people purchased Beanie Babies (for incredible sums).... and many still have them - with zero market now. I guess it would be better to buy silver art bars in the long run....image Cheers, RickO >>

At the worst case scenario, the silver art bars will be worth whatever silver is worth. As a collector, I buy what I like but I prefer to pay the lowest premium possible and that is why I buy most silver art bars at the coin shows and at the LCS because the premiums are much lower there as opposed to the ebay collector premiums. I have also bought silver art bars on ebay and paid very high premiums for them because that is what I liked and I was willing to pay the premium for it. As a general rule, most silver stackers are not going to buy silver on ebay unless they can find it at a very low premium over spot that is lower than what they can get it at their LCS or at a coin show. Since I am just a collector, I do not concentrate on the number of oz's that I have but instead I concentrate on what I buy. As a silver art bar collector, I prefer "quality" over "quantity" but that be be very subjective.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Quality over quantity! image

image >>

A 1973 Arlington Coin Galleries bar. Very interesting indeed. Quality over Quantity in my opinion. You should buy what you like.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it and sold it. I figured there was a market and knew it was probably scarce since I had never seen it before.
    I keep the photo around for just such occasions. image
  • Options

<< <i>I bought it and sold it. I figured there was a market and knew it was probably scarce since I had never seen it before.
    I keep the photo around for just such occasions. image >>

You did the right thing...Not scarce & not much of a premium.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mentioned before, I have silver bar commemorating the great horse Secretariat.... which I purchased because I followed his incredible Triple Crown wins. Some purchases are made for other than simply stacking PM's... Cheers, RickO