Home U.S. Coin Forum

NewP waited a long time - Comitia Americana

baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
Although a Paris mint restrike, to me it is so cool.
Catalog information; Silver, 56mm, Betts-568, Julian NA-1.

I just love the history behind this series, the art, the subjects.
Also, I believe this is the only Naval themed Comitia American medal.
Here are the seller's pictures, I hope you enjoy.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a shot at trying to fix your links:

edit: sorry, no luck, still can't see them from here

edit again: There they are! they look great!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed the links.

Thank you Baley for the heads up!
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. When were the Paris restrikes done? Without researching I'm thinking 1850's-1860's.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are good questions for John K. IIRC, these were restruck multiple times after being issued, but I do not have the details.

Yours is a lovely and historic medal, and you should thoroughly enjoy it. image
    Thank you for the kind words.

From what I know the restrikes were done 1880-1898.
    I did purchase this one from JK.

I was so excited to get this.
    One of my biggest purchases, and definitely by far the coolest.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, very nice baddog!

Congrat's!! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here a copper John Paul Jones medal from my collection. This one was struck at the Paris mint sometime between 1845 and 1860. We know this because of the "pointed finger" on the edge.

Edge

The original dies still exist and are on display at the John Paul Jones tomb at the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. I grabbed a few pictures.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I don't have a picture of the edge of my medal that I can post.
    My medal's edge has a cornucopia and the word argent (silver).

You can tell what years a die was used/medals struck by the edge markings - like the Pointing Hand mentioned earlier.
    I have a listing of the marks that the Paris mint used during different time periods, but do not have access to it here.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the lists for cracking the edge inscriptions:

OR (gold - Dream on for the most part - aside from the very modern pieces, those are for museums.)

Argent - silver

Cuivre - copper

Bronze - bronze

Dates:

"antique lamp" - 1832-41
    "anchor intertwined with C" - 1841-42
    "galley prow" - 1842-45
    "pointing hand" - 1845-60
    "bee" - 1860 - 79
    "cornucopia" - 1880 to the present
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are some real neat pics there billjones. thanks for sharing
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    The details of that medal are spectacular. The photos are very nice as well! Thanks for sharing!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whatever floats your boat!image

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    One gold medal was given to John Paul Jones.

From "The Medallic History of the United Sates Of America 1776-1876"
    In Congress.
    Resolved Unanimously, That a medal of gold be struck and presented to the Chevalier John Paul Jones, in commemoration of the valour and brilliant
    services of that officer, in command of a squadron of French and American ships, under the flag and commission of the United States , off the coast of
    great Britain, in the late war and the honorable Mr. Jefferson, Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States at the court of Versailles, have the executed
    with the proper devices.

Not sure about how many other medals were made. Always learning ...

Here's a picture of the edge of the medal with the Cornucopia and Argent.

• Super nice design!!!
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One gold medal was given to John Paul Jones.

From "The Medallic History of the United Sates Of America 1776-1876"
    In Congress.
    Resolved Unanimously, That a medal of gold be struck and presented to the Chevalier John Paul Jones, in commemoration of the valour and brilliant
    services of that officer, in command of a squadron of French and American ships, under the flag and commission of the United States , off the coast of
    great Britain, in the late war and the honorable Mr. Jefferson, Minister Plenipotentiary of the United States at the court of Versailles, have the executed
    with the proper devices.

Not sure about how many other medals were made. Always learning ...

Here's a picture of the edge of the medal with the Cornucopia and Argent.

image >>

Talk about high relief!
  • I've always been fascinated with this series and even more so after the Adams & Bentley work came out. The artwork and the size of these medals is incredible. Thanks for sharing!
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is more a piece of art than a medal or coin. What a gorgeous, gorgeous piece!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

<< <i>Here are the lists for cracking the edge inscriptions:

OR (gold - Dream on for the most part - aside from the very modern pieces, those are for museums.)

Argent - silver

Cuivre - copper

Bronze - bronze

Dates:

"antique lamp" - 1832-41
    "anchor intertwined with C" - 1841-42
    "galley prow" - 1842-45
    "pointing hand" - 1845-60
    "bee" - 1860 - 79
    "cornucopia" - 1880 to the present >>

Thank you Bill Jones for the input/follow-up.
    Much appreciated. Also, I'd like to say your medal is very nice, superb actually.

I'd like to ask everyone here, how do you display/store these types medals.
    They are very high relief and require some care in handling.
    Any input is appreciated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file