Home Precious Metals
Options

wow $300+ for 1 oz of silver

OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

ebay

and you thought some older Engelhard bars are selling for crazy money.
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see why anyone would pay that much for that bar. >>

I totally agree & the bidding still has a way to go. Obviously there are several bidders who'll disagree with our assessment.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bidders aren't bidding on silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I wouldnt pay that much ....actually I have records of that same style bar going Unsold for about 150$ from an eastern european seller.

But on the other hand that's the first time I have seen that bar for sale in the US and it is quite a beautiful and rare bar.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    A steal at half price

BTW ...i dont know this seller nor do i recommend them in any way.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's crazy! I had 10 of them (initial post) and they sold in the USA on ebay for around $40-50 each. I also only got about $43 each for the number 000001 set of the Road to the Cross, also on ebay earlier this year. Where were all the bidders? I told all of you about my sales on the BST threads.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1jester. Yup, I was amazed at how little your items fetched. I suppose timing, marketing & decent pictures, starting the auctions at $.99 and LUCK, has a lot to do with it.
    BTW Not to rub salt into your wound, but that bar has been bid up to $345.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then somebody will try to sell a similar piece to a dealer, and complain on here because they cannot get $300+ for it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Such is the nature of Ebay and 99 cent auctions. It takes at least two "gotta have it" bidders to bid it to the moon.

Not long ago I saw an Engelhard Australia 1 oz bar go for around $40. Figured that was a decent price so I added the seller to my favorites. He listed another nearly identical bar a couple weeks later and it sold for I believe $150.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I still have a good number of the rarest PAMP bars (those from Poland are nowhere near as rare!!) - the Italian Cities series, surely one of their oldest, if not their first series ever produced - which will be sold on ebay eventually. As soon as I can get someone to handle the sales for me. I sure do hope to get $300/oz!!! Wish me luck...LOL

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.. I have a few of those..... like Secretariat and a couple others.... maybe I should eBay them..... nah... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    HERE is a what must be a rare Engelhard 1oz bar . . . Over $550. Ends tonight.

Sure is an odd critter ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see why anyone would pay that much for that bar. >>

really, i dont see it either. people want what people want
  • Options
    really? on a board full of coin collectors?

Most of us would pay extreme multiples for coin that its just slighty better or has some color etc.

Why is it so hard to imagine that someone would pay a modest premium for a beautiful and rare item?
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>really? on a board full of coin collectors?

Most of us would pay extreme multiples for coin that its just slighty better or has some color etc.

Why is it so hard to imagine that someone would pay a modest premium for a beautiful and rare item? >>

I don't believe that there is one toned or CAC'd coin that will go for 15x the price for a same graded non toned or CAC'd coin.
    I would not consider a 1 oz bullion bar with $32 worth of silver, selling for $550 as a "modest premium."
  • Options

This coin its in a doily holder with a gold cac sticker....and this sentence only makes sense to a coin collector.

We both know that you can pick up a similar coin for 10 bucks and a person who does not collect coins would not be able to tell the difference.

Some collectors might even have a hard time telling this coin apart from any PGCS 63 ...the coin in the picture might have a 20X premium.

I would personally not pay 550$ for that bar ...but I could see the appeal of owning such a bar.

The world of rare bar its changing ...i dont know if the interest will be lasting or if its just another fad due to recent increases in gold and silver.

But some of these bars are very rare and fairly interesting ...who knows maybe we are only a decent reference book away from a solid collecting niche?

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    The preview funtion its not working ...that pic came out a lot bigger than i thought image
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>The preview funtion its not working ...that pic came out a lot bigger than i thought image >>

Great looking PCGS 65 CAC stickered coin. I do not collect the series, as such I have no idea if it would go for 20 x a non stickered 65 coin. Also, there does not appear to be much of a price difference between a 65 and MS 66 coin.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The doiley adds a lot to the price, so does the gold sticker.
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>The doiley adds a lot to the price, so does the gold sticker. >>

I'm looking at the PCGS price guide for a 65, 66 and 67.....even if it regrades as a 67 it might fetch about 6 x. I have serious doubts that PCGS would have undergraded that coin by 2 grades.
    I'm totally confused as to the 20 x the 65 price. I suppose in that coins scenario, you'd have to bid on the slab & not the coin. Completely contrary to the 2 bullion items in this thread.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nuts !!! image
    Timbuk3