Home Precious Metals
Options

PayPal issue - limited account

I have just found out, with no heads up from PayPal, that my account is now "limited". That means I can't receive or send money, etc...
They are asking to change my password, update my security questions and provide proof of address. I did what they asked.
In the meantime they are reviewing my last three transaction, two of them are for USPS labels.

Has anybody experienced the same situation? How long does it take to have the account up and running again?

Thanks!
The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had that happen to me. I've had the situation many others have had, where they hold funds for up to 21 days after an eBay sale.

Did they say why they set your account status as "limited"?
  • Options

<< <i>Did they say why they set your account status as "limited"? >>

When I logged in there was a line saying that they are performing some maintenance and my account was selected (lucky me!). I don't recall if there was the "randomly" word there...
  • Options
    I hope you gave your personal info to the real PP.
  • Options
    The kind of luck you didn't need image I just logged in and didn't see that message. Keep us posted on what happens.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you gave your personal info to the real PP. >>

I am positive, I can see they opened some disputes and my file shows as in process.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am positive, I can see they opened some disputes and my file shows as in process. >>

Suggest you call them. It sounds like one of your auctions went sour.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    That was easy! Called Jane at PayPal and she restored my account immediately.
    They said they sent an email about this, I may have missed it. It was due to security purposes because I am using more than one device and their system may have seen a location that was not in my usual area.

If that happens to you, you now know what to do! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am positive, I can see they opened some disputes and my file shows as in process. >>

Suggest you call them. It sounds like one of your auctions went sour. >>

The disputes they opened were for payments I made.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paypal security is a good thing.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Paypal security is a good thing. >>

I agree. I appreciated that, I was only concern about the fact that I didn't see any email informing me about the block. (it has been a tough night with my baby and tooth ache, I may have deleted it by mistake).
  • Options
    Glad to hear it was resolved. And I have been down that road before, dealing with late-night hours with a baby!
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Check your spam folder for the paypal email, and maybe flag as not-spam so you get them in the inbox. Just a dbl check.
    COA
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    This happened to me but funny part is its happened to me twice yet im able to send money and able to receive it also am able to transfer it to my bank account. My account as we speak is limited yet I just transferred $350 to my bank account.... Also if they ever ask for your SSN number DO NOT GIVE IN to them. I called because I could not do anything for about 5 months with my account I even called paypal about the issue they wanted my SSN number and I told them I would not give them it. Well about a month ago they sent me a email that my account was unlocked and am able to use it but its just Limted.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a new IP trace function being used in their security screens.

I recently had a similar experience with my online broker when I executed a trade from a device I've never made a trade on, while away from my home network.

They redflagged the account fast, but I was grateful when I heard why they felt propmted to do it.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Glad to here it all went good for you.

On another note, the past 6 months or so I've multiple buyers try to send me payment and PP rejects the payment. It happens on payments over $1k. I called PP and they told me to have the buyer wait 24 hrs and try it again, it's some sort of anti-fraud thing. It's a bit of a hastle but I guess it's good the are trying to crack down on the fraudsters.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This happened to me but funny part is its happened to me twice yet im able to send money and able to receive it also am able to transfer it to my bank account. My account as we speak is limited yet I just transferred $350 to my bank account.... Also if they ever ask for your SSN number DO NOT GIVE IN to them. I called because I could not do anything for about 5 months with my account I even called paypal about the issue they wanted my SSN number and I told them I would not give them it. Well about a month ago they sent me a email that my account was unlocked and am able to use it but its just Limted. >>

Bad advice if you conduct a reasonable amount of business on eBay......If you're small potatoes, no big deal and you can live with the $500 monthly limit. It's an IRS reporting requirement for sellers that conduct over 200 sales and $20k in sales annually. If you fall into that category and don't comply, eBay & PayPal will shut you down.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This happened to me but funny part is its happened to me twice yet im able to send money and able to receive it also am able to transfer it to my bank account. My account as we speak is limited yet I just transferred $350 to my bank account.... Also if they ever ask for your SSN number DO NOT GIVE IN to them. I called because I could not do anything for about 5 months with my account I even called paypal about the issue they wanted my SSN number and I told them I would not give them it. Well about a month ago they sent me a email that my account was unlocked and am able to use it but its just Limted. >>

Bad advice if you conduct a reasonable amount of business on eBay......If you're small potatoes, no big deal and you can live with the $500 monthly limit. It's an IRS reporting requirement for sellers that conduct over 200 sales and $20k in sales annually. If you fall into that category and don't comply, eBay & PayPal will shut you down. >>

I guess you do make a valid point but the thing is I never came close to either of those wonder why they wanted my ssn so bad.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bad advice if you conduct a reasonable amount of business on eBay......If you're small potatoes, no big deal and you can live with the $500 monthly limit. It's an IRS reporting requirement for sellers that conduct over 200 sales and $20k in sales annually. If you fall into that category and don't comply, eBay & PayPal will shut you down. >>

I guess you do make a valid point but the thing is I never came close to either of those wonder why they wanted my ssn so bad. >>

They want SSNs before a seller hits the IRS limits. They hope you grow your business as do many of their sellers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt