Home Precious Metals
Options

Experimented with Melt and Pour

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Update:
Came across a Map gas TS4000 touch head for $2 at a flea market and purchased a tank of map gas and it works fine.

Outside, I fluxed the ceramic cruciple, put in 5 grams of silver granuals and in a short bit they melted. Did a little pour into a small wooden cavity and next a 12 gram pour. Melting a small piece of a bar as well.

Very crude, but I'm sort of liken these. I'll remelt to make them smoother.
I'd rather have a few of these crude nuggets than junk birthday bars and may stamp them.
My Apmex 2 oz clone of an ASE marked Copy is next to go.
COA

Comments

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Very cool! Let's see some pics!

What does your crucible look like? Also need to see the finished product, of course.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Cool. Do take some pics or videos.

You can purchase reuseable graphite molds in different shapes and sized on ebay (which you probably already knew that).
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, how about some pics !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun experiment, but you just lost 1/2 your money.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fun experiment, but you just lost 1/2 your money. >>

Wait till you try to sell these "home made bars"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Something tells me tneig is not doing this for financial gain. Least I hope so. Take care. jws
  • Options
    Didn't take a pic yet. I will. They look like pitted nuggets. TBM pours (Toms Birthday Melts) rotfl
    The crucible is just one of those 1 and 2oz ceramic saucers with the tong grip holder.
    COA
  • Options
    If you melt and keep the silver under the flux ( borax ) you keep the oxygen away from the silver and the button should come out smoother, let it freeze in the dish and pry it out with tongs just after it freezes and before the flux cools.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If you melt and keep the silver under the flux ( borax ) you keep the oxygen away from the silver and the button should come out smoother, let it freeze in the dish and pry it out with tongs just after it freezes and before the flux cools

Sounds like work, but something I would like to try...wish I had that kind of time. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always be absolutely sure your molds are dry. I have a friend who as a teenager was pouring molten lead into some molds and there was a bit of water in the bottom of one of them. The water turned to steam and blew droplets of molten metal in all directions.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Good advice on the moisture and flux usage, and def on the removal. The button in the curcible is nicer than I can pour. I will utilize these suggestions. I'm reasonably safe, but they do call me Tommy 4 Toes.... Time for more web research. I finally got a small little hammer (hurts less) and playing with working the metal.

Are there issues with melt and sell?
    Really surprised I don't see more folks make their own Monarch/Propsector type home pours. I'm just playing, but I still consider it silver- sellable on ebay for anything I melt, eh? A guy on ebay sells some small ones.

Likely more effort for the return, rather then just plain timing good buys and sells. (like buying today!)
    COA
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there issues with melt and sell? >>

Most folks just don't trust any and everybody melting stuff and selling it. Could be .9999 fine silver, could be a polished lead bar.

<< <i>Likely more effort for the return... >>

probably, but it's fun.

Get on YouTube and spend some time looking at various dos and don'ts of other people melting and pouring.

One other note, always have a fire extinguisher handy.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>

One other note, always have a fire extinguisher handy. >>

EXCELLENT advice!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

EXCELLENT advice! >>

I wouldn't try this unless I could set something up out of doors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

EXCELLENT advice! >>

I wouldn't try this unless I could set something up out of doors. >>

Doesn't matter. The extinguisher is still an excellent advice.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

EXCELLENT advice! >>

Doesn't matter. The extinguisher is still an excellent advice. >>

Absolutely agree with the extinguisher idea but being outdoors diminished the chance of your house burning down and the ventilation is much better outside.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

EXCELLENT advice! >>

Doesn't matter. The extinguisher is still an excellent advice. >>

Absolutely agree with the extinguisher idea but being outdoors diminished the chance of your house burning down and the ventilation is much better outside. >>

A charged garden hose would also be a good idea.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the advantage of melting silver that is marked as .999 or a weight stamped on it by a recognized company?

What happens when you would try to sell this homemade blob of silver?

I would think if you are able to sell it at all the buy price would be greatly lowered in order to pay for an assay charge?

I would think 9 out of 10 Coin Shops would not even want the hassell of buying a homemade poured bar.

So isn't it a losing propisition melting this silver?

Just asking, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Hi,
    I take replies serious and appreciate everyones info. This and many avenues in PMs are interesting topics to me, and I investigate things, and the world is absolutely full of potential possibilities. :-)

<< <i>What is the advantage of melting silver that is marked as .999 or a weight stamped on it by a recognized company?
    ----Not neccessarily any, until I obtained enough junk silver which made me think of what to do with it. Experimentation, or presents, is all I'm doing. Could be fun
    -----But seriously, one could convert junk silver into 'something' to resell for more.....

What happens when you would try to sell this homemade blob of silver?
    ----I won't be selling any blobs or junk so no biggie, but one could sell a dirty sock on ebay, eh. Now, if you did something nice, using low cost silver, I believe there is an unlimited market for the right-minded path to utilize. I'd buy it if the price where right and it was nice.
    Something nice can sell in my thinking in this new world of silver. If you made them simple, but nice, and gained a rep as genuine silver seller, then why not. Isn't that what Prospector did? Now just expand the concept a smig beyond poured bars box. The possibilities are endless.

I would think if you are able to sell it at all the buy price would be greatly lowered in order to pay for an assay charge?
    ----Yep, I agree. Who actually does this on small pieces now? (Ahh, and what if you felt confident of the seller?)

I would think 9 out of 10 Coin Shops would not even want the hassell of buying a homemade poured bar.
    ---Yep, Likely right. You've seen the variations in coin shops. I wouldn't even want to bother with 9 of them. (Does leave 1 though. But there are a vast variety of selling establishements beyond coin shops, ebay, etc. Like anything, you build your base wisely.)

So isn't it a losing propisition melting this silver?
    ---In a sole concept of just melting existing silver to make pours to a certain market, it would be harder. I think in this new time specifically, if one can provide some nice, unique, value-added bullion'ish items, create, market, sell correctly and go beyond the boundaries of this market, it would be a most winning venture possibility.

Just asking, GrandAm image >>

--And, much appreciated too!
    COA
  • Options
    Having worked in coin shops for a quarter of a century or so, I can tell you this:

You could sell your personally-made and unmarked silver objects to people who know you personally and trust your statement as to what was used in it, but those people could never sell the objects to a coin shop without an assay or a very severe discount because they have no proof as to the contents.

"The guy who sold this to me told me it is .999 fine!"

Doesn't hold any water in the marketplace. Some people lie.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some people lie. >>

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't hold any water in the marketplace. Some people lie. >>

In my experience, a LOT of people lie......sad, but true.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that a former forum member, gecko109, several years ago, did a similar experiment with silver shot and made bars. He even sold some to forumites & eBay, but that experiment didn't last very long before he saw the light. If I recall correctly, he also made a youtube video of his handy work.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."