Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do 19th century US coin dies exist in private hands?

I just read about the carson city mint hoard of cancelled dies

I was wondering if any 19th century US mint dies exist in private hands? Or any sales posted?

Do these dies have issues such as dirt or rust if theyre still intact?

Are they cancelled or un cancelled like the 1996 olympics? Or are they ground off like the state quarter dies sold today? Is it possible that some are uncancelled?

Sorry for all the questions, I found the topic interesting but little information was found.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Many dies still exist. Several have been recovered from a landfill and restruck blank planchets
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many such dies. I once held in my hands a Seated Liberty Dollar reverse die with an S mint mark.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>There are many such dies. I once held in my hands a Seated Liberty Dollar reverse die with an S mint mark. >>

If you paired it with an obverse die of a date from the same series that was never made and struck some, would they be counterfeits or fantasy strikes? image
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I know someone on this site has a obv/rev pair of CC-marked dies, although the denomination of coin that the die struck has slipped my mind. Maybe he'll come across this thread. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a fair number of US coin dies, but none is good enough to strike deceptive "restrikes". They're all either substantially rusted, cancelled or defaced in some other way.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How often are these dies offered for sale and how much do they go for?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have a die in hand, the temptation to use it is great image
  • Options

<< <i>Once you have a die in hand, the temptation to use it is great image >>

Any plans for the Gobrecht? imageimage
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Dan Carr own the actual press they used back then?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't Dan Carr own the actual press they used back then? >>

Dan's press is a late 20th century press, not a 19th century press. Dan's press was built in 1986 and used at the Denver Mint from 1986 to 2001. You can read more about Dan's press on the Moonlight Mint website.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Not to derail this thread, but there is at least one Chinese coin factory that has purchased surplus coin presses that were once used at US mints. Not sure of the vintage of these presses.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    In appendix A of the first Red Book Professional Edition,
    titled "Counterfeit Coins in Today's Market---Modern Chinese
    Counterfeit Coins: A Classification System," Dr. Gregory V. DuBay
    discusses one of the major producers of modern Chinese
    counterfeits, the owner and operator of an established
    factory in Fujian Province.

"Mr. L---'s coin presses were at one time in operation at a
    U.S. mint, and in the early 1900s were sent to the mint in
    Shanghai, China. In the mid-1950s the presses and
    ancillary equipment, being obsolete for China's modern
    coining needs, were sold off as scrap and ended up in
    the counterfeiter's shops of Fujian. In short, Mr. L---'s
    counterfeit coins are struck on original U.S. Mint coin
    presses and at the identical strike and pressures as the
    original coins."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once saw the obverse die for an 1807 half dollar. It tought me what a die break looks like. The die was several inches tall, and the break ran from the die face down through the body of the die.

As others have said many dies still exist, but they are not a great shape.

Three dies still exist that were used to strike Civil War tokens. In the late 1930s, the Central States numismatic organization used them to strike a piece that was issued in conjunction with their convention. Here is the piece.

imageimage

And is an example of the token. This gold filled piece was made for 19th century collectors.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Great post Bill. It's nice to see the comparison of the original and newer strikes. The die break is a nice touch.
  • Options
    Lots of US coin dies exist in private hands.

Most are too messed up to produce anything deceptive.

I remember an 1878 Morgan obverse die that Bob Campbell had several years ago that had some modest pitting but still plenty of mint "bloom." That one could have probably made a nice restrike, if you were ballsy enough to try it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file