Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I gladly paid full retail for this 38-D Buff in 65

Haven't seen one of these in a while! Better than a Doily find imho!!

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Do those flips contain pvc?

Illini420 had some of those before I think, they were frankies
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    They are sealed inside the flip with a cointain type holder I do believe.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult to see detail in that picture, but looks like a nice coin....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Buff has the PCGS coin # code for a 38-D....so it's a PCGS era coin. One would certainly expect that it would meet late 1980's PCGS standards.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Well, considering that the highest grade Mr. Hall assigned to coins back then was MS65, I think you did well buying it for retail $ in that grade. By today's standards, it's likely closer to MS66/67. We'd love to see some close-ups of the coin if possible.

I'm not sure what sort of premiums these carry, but I imagine it's significant. Whenever I run into 'em at shows (which isn't too often), I'm always they're only "display pieces" or are "owned by a customer" and "aren't for sale".

Someone should start a "census" thread on these puppies!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice - I like the way you photographed it too. image

Yep - they have a cointainer style holder inside the flip. The range of coins seems to be fairly narrow - steel cent, Jeff 5c, buffs, Mercs, Wa. 25c, frankies, WLH, Kennedy 50c, Morgans, etc. Not likely to find a CBH for instance. I've only seen one commem - Texas.

If anyone has a coin other than what I listed, would love to see it. image

edit - added 2 coins to my list......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, the pic makes green look like its setting its pall on the coin....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a 'golden' jewel...very nice! I'd be pround to own at retail.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    Very nice find!!!
  • Options

A local dealer in the Northern Virginia area sold a quantity of these periodically over the last year as a small hoard was sold to him by a

collector. Really nothing special....
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

These flips do carry some premium. Just sold one with an MS65 Connecticut half on ebay. Also have a nice 1937 wheat cent in an MS65 flip that should really be a 66RD or better today. Definitely a nice find!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, considering that the highest grade Mr. Hall assigned to coins back then was MS65, I think you did well buying it for retail $ in that grade. By today's standards, it's likely closer to MS66/67. We'd love to see some close-ups of the coin if possible.

I'm not sure what sort of premiums these carry, but I imagine it's significant. Whenever I run into 'em at shows (which isn't too often), I'm always they're only "display pieces" or are "owned by a customer" and "aren't for sale".

Someone should start a "census" thread on these puppies! >>

I was a frequent subscriber to DH's Inside View from around 1983 to 1985. As I recall, he used the grades of MS67/70 as many other leading dealers of that time did (Renrob, NIOF,
    Nercg, Heritage, Numis Professionals Inc, etc.). This was necessary to describe that a coin was far nicer than MS65. The Eliasberg gold coins hitting the market in 1982 clearly showed
    that the MS65 price limit to most price guides was lacking. The grades of 67 and 67/70 to denote a better than 67 coin were commonly used by many top notch graders. Don't see
    why DH would have limited himself to MS65. Even when PCGS came along they were assigning grades of 66 and 67 to some very worthy coins, even if very few coins made this level.
    My first ever slabbed coin was a MS66 seated quarter that was purchased raw for for me at auction in August 1986 (graded later that month at PCGS).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion on these "slabs".
    I've bought and sold a number of these over the years and only kept only two - pics below. When selling these at a show, they never last more than a day in the showcase.

Anyway, here are my two - including an older (I think) version of this holder.
    imageimage
    imageimage

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting discussion on these "slabs".
    I've bought and sold a number of these over the years and only kept only two - pics below. When selling these at a show, they never last more than a day in the showcase.

Anyway, here are my two - including an older (I think) version of this holder.
    imageimage >>

Wow! I've never seen this second, beige-colored label type...

Very strange. I'd have thought, at least judging by the boldness of the font and the detailed graphic, that this would be a more recent type than the first.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file