Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1911-D $10 Gold Indian Head

This was in my father's safety Deposit Box in 2001 when he died. Speaking with other family members, no one had seen this since the 60s. My question is this... If I took the ring off of it, would this have any numismatic value? Or just gold value?

Morgan Everyman Set
Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    It's in a bezel so most likely the coin is damaged in some fashion underneath. Just keep it in the necklace for sentimental value, why not?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    It's got sentimental which is worth more than numismatic
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put it in a type set instead of a bezel. Not sure if this addresses your question, but I wouldn't send an authentic one to the refinery.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worn and has been cleaned/polished so it's worth melt. Too bad since this is a better date. Still, it's worth a little less than $900 plus the value of the chain so it's a very nice find. If you're married give it to your wife and let her wear it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 10-D not 11-D... Huge value difference between the dates.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a 10-D not 11-D... Huge value difference between the dates. >>

You are correct. The title of the thread said 1911-D which threw me off.image In any event, once a coin like this is cleaned and polished it essentially becomes a bullion coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to been polished with some jeweler's rouge plus I'm not 100% sure that it is genuine. It's probably the photo, but the relief looks to be off to me. Back in the 1960s many counterfeit U.S. gold coins were made in Lebanon. This might be one of those pieces.

Here is a genuine piece you can use for a comparison. Even if it is a counterfeit, they were made of gold in those days, so you do have the bullion, which places you in about the same spot as you would be with worn and polished genuine piece.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Is that a watch chain?
    Very nice indeed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file