Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Purchase: Turkish 40 Para

Wow. Two coins for the world travels collection in one month! Had been well over a year since the last. Loved the look of this big Turkish coin. Courtesy of Jeremy Katz.

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I actually considered bidding on that one...nice pick-upimage
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beauty - saw it as well.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    beautiful! Is this a silver coin or copper?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>beautiful! Is this a silver coin or copper? >>

It's a huge chunk of copper. As large and thick as it gets, which makes this piece all the more difficult to locate it like this.

Congrats John, it's a truly wonderful piece. I once owned a similar 40 para, raw, but it was in an AUish grade, and I can't even remember what became of it. Surprisingly, Jeremy had all 3 denominations in that auction, obviously by the same consignor, 10, 20 and 40 para from the same date, all in the same grade, but the realized prices give me a relative idea of the spirited bidding on this particular piece.

The proofs from that date (AH1227/ year 4) aren't that difficult to locate. In fact, I'd say that it's more difficult to see all 3 circulation issues in such great and uniform state of preservation. My PF66BN 10 para though is also an amazing coin in terms of eye appeal, which explains the fact that I've never been emotionally mature to part with it. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful.image
    Becky
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow - nice win indeed!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normally the lack of "graven images" (i.e., pictorial elements) on Islamic coins precludes much interest in them on my part.

That one, however, is beautiful, if for the toning alone. Nice pickup.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.