Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT - Why do companies still have 800 Numbers?

djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
With long distance being free in this day and age why do compainies still have 800 numbers? It I call PCGS on their 800 number it cost me nothing but PCGS has to pay for the call. If I call PCGS on their 949 number I pay nothing for the call and PCGS pays nothing for the call. Just seems strange in these economic times companies would pay for something that is free.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very small expense for big companies.

Good marketing as well, hey you can call for free ..........

A company like PCGS has many older customers who have set mindsets ......
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With long distance being free in this day and age why do compainies still have 800 numbers? It I call PCGS on their 800 number it cost me nothing but PCGS has to pay for the call. If I call PCGS on their 949 number I pay nothing for the call and PCGS pays nothing for the call. Just seems strange in these economic times companies would pay for something that is free. >>

You'd be surprised as to how many consumers do not have unlimited long distance calling capabilities. Heck, even some of our Seniors, still use rotary phones.image
    Toll free numbers will be around for some time to come, along with CASH.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fairly cheap to have a 800 number. We have one because we do have some clients who don't have unlimited plans.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With long distance being free in this day and age.......Just seems strange in these economic times companies would pay for something that is free. >>

Free everywhere? Where is this? It's not free with our phone carriers and cell phones don't have good reception out here in the country.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With long distance being free in this day and age.......Just seems strange in these economic times companies would pay for something that is free. >>

Free everywhere? Where is this? It's not free with our phone carriers and cell phones don't have good reception out here in the country. >>

image In fact I'm far enough out that the DSL is slow as can be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no way of making a long distance call unless it's a free 800 or such. My carrier charges 40 cents
    a minute for long distance out of state and more for in state. I won't pay it, period.

I do not have a cell with free long distance. (I don't have a cell, period). So, that option is out too.

I like the 800 numbers!

Oh, yes, I'm a senior but DO NOT HAVE A ROTARY PHONE, I upgraded last year!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a senior, and I do miss the rotary phone we had in our old house. Kid's couldn't figure out how to use it, and when the power went out it was the only phone that worked - it also has outlasted every phone made since it was made in the 1930's.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a memorable # and it is on every past invoice and price sticker we've sold over the last decade or more.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I was really depressed when they quietly killed the P-O-P-C-O-R-N number ! image
  • Options
    It's a lot easier to remember some 800 numbers than look up their local number. Payphones used to be an economical option for those having to pay for every long distance call, but those have been taken out at greater rates. Any one can get a basic cellphone at Walmart, etc., and pay $30 a month for 1000 minutes of service; not the best but cheap. With the increases in interactive and technologies riding on various complementary networks the prices continue to come down.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot depends on your plan re long distance charges. It costs me 5 cents a minute on the regular phone, I get 550 minutes free monthly on my cell. We have three phones in the house. I kept the rotary phone which was here when I bought the place. It still works.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use it !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I paid for long distance. My guess is that nobody should be paying any more but some people haven't realized that they need to change. --Jerry
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its marketing.... as Bill Gates said.... until the computer is as easy to connect as the phone the phone will be the 1st choice for consumers!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>I can't remember the last time I paid for long distance. My guess is that nobody should be paying any more but some people haven't realized that they need to change. --Jerry >>

Maybe I am dense, but I don't understand the above. Are you using a cell plan? Then you are paying, there is a minimum you pay every month, and the long distance calls aren't itemized, but you are paying. Are you using Internet phone? Then you are paying for the Internet connection, and the phone ability is a bonus, but it is not free. Internet costs $20 on up a month, same with most cell plans with unlimited long distance, with most paying $30 on up. Many with data plans on smart phones are paying more like $70 a month. That's might seem a lot to pay for someone that might make one or two toll calls a month, and not free the way I would use the word. Sure, if someone is sure to use their phone a lot, then the additional call(s) may semantically be "free" in some sense, but not the way I would use the word. If someone is using a company phone or using someone else's Internet, that could be called free, perhaps.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't remember the last time I paid for long distance. My guess is that nobody should be paying any more but some people haven't realized that they need to change. --Jerry >>

Maybe I am dense, but I don't understand the above. Are you using a cell plan? Then you are paying, there is a minimum you pay every month, and the long distance calls aren't itemized, but you are paying. Are you using Internet phone? Then you are paying for the Internet connection, and the phone ability is a bonus, but it is not free. Internet costs $20 on up a month, same with most cell plans with unlimited long distance, with most paying $30 on up. Many with data plans on smart phones are paying more like $70 a month. That's might seem a lot to pay for someone that might make one or two toll calls a month, and not free the way I would use the word. Sure, if someone is sure to use their phone a lot, then the additional call(s) may semantically be "free" in some sense, but not the way I would use the word. If someone is using a company phone or using someone else's Internet, that could be called free, perhaps. >>

I will rephrase it. It has been years since I have paid a la carte for long distance phone calls. I know in my area, there is $25/month phone service (land line) that includes unlimited long distance. Additionally, most cell phone services do not charge additionally for long distance.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free everywhere? Where is this? It's not free with our phone carriers and cell phones don't have good reception out here in the country.

Sorry to hear that - I thought since us folks in little old Upstate South Carolina had unlimited long distance, high speed internet, and great cell reception, I would have thought you guys in big old Georgia would have the same thing. image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like the simple answer is because non-800 numbers are still not toll free for everyone.

At the same time, it's probably easier to remember an 800 area code than an unfamiliar geographic 3-digit area code.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a memorable # and it is on every past invoice and price sticker we've sold over the last decade or more.

Best answer so far!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a memorable # and it is on every past invoice and price sticker we've sold over the last decade or more. >>

Just noticed that CRO coins travel in style image

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>until the computer is as easy to connect as the phone the phone will be the 1st choice for consumers! >>

I hate the phone - either making or receiving calls - and would rather conduct all nonpersonal business via email. That way you have a trail of what was communicated.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will rephrase it.

re-phrase it however you want and it still comes out the same. certainly you're smart enough to understand no free lunch, right??
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    So customers do not pay to try and do business with you, that's why. Not every business buys cellphones and service plans for their employees.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have rotary dial on one of our phones. It is an ITT green phone.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file