Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does the date look fake to you guys? 1869 Indian Cent

13»

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebaybuyer, it is obvious you are passionate and take pride in your skills. Admiral traits. I wish we had more enthusiasts good at targeting counterfeits.

But if you listen to some of the counsel, from mikeinfla for example, and can do it without taking it as an attack, you may learn something. Sometimes we lead with emotion, usually a mistake.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i have no choice but to regard it as an attack when someone attempts to bully me into recanting or changing my opinion, and while doing so uses thier inferences as my words, i do not and will not need permission to have an opinion, i will not ask for approval of my opinion. and frankly, i couldnt give a shh less what purpose it serves the few here to attack me or my opinion. if my opinion is not shared by the populace i must be wrong. i disagree. it is obvious to me that a few people here may be under the erroneous assumption that i started collecting coins last week, well you have no idea what i collect, what my level of knowledge is, and for anyone here to tell me that i am wrong for what i have spent years learning, or that my opinion is wrong because id differs from thiers is B - -- - - - T no one that has commented has any idea of what my capabilities are. and i will not be bullied by those who believe that they can tell what im thinking, know how many coins ive looked at or any other damn thing, who in the hell are they to even form a hypothesis of who i am or what ive taken the time to learn ?
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    im not defending my skills, i dont see it as a skill to be aware of counterfeit coins. im defending my right to have an opinion without that opinion being attacked by people who obviously know my ability better than i do and yet i dont believe ive ever even met these people. how any of them can have the slightest clue of anything about me is beyond my comprehension.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not intentionally ridicule, attack, demean or force my opinion upon you. I questioned --and in retrospect I'm sorry to have done so, for I think you have mistaken my intent. Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    im not sure what your intent was mike, or murray, both of you slipped your own words into my responses then tried to use those words to discredit my responses, i have no issue with criticism, however, i will not be bullied into accepting someone elses opinion just because they dont agree with mine. especially when it is done in such an underhanded way. rather than attacking me why not ask me some questions related to counterfeits so that i may "prove" my knowledge to you ? for the record, i was studying counterfeit coins well before the chinese began mass producing them. so yes i feel i do know a little something
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is serious, becuase I have spent $10,000 plus on his rolls!!! Fbi is getting a call too... >>

i sure hope to see some images of the coins you possess that may be non-authentic.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>im not sure what your intent was mike, or murray, both of you slipped your own words into my responses then tried to use those words to discredit my responses, i have no issue with criticism, however, i will not be bullied into accepting someone elses opinion just because they dont agree with mine. especially when it is done in such an underhanded way. rather than attacking me why not ask me some questions related to counterfeits so that i may "prove" my knowledge to you ? for the record, i was studying counterfeit coins well before the chinese began mass producing them. so yes i feel i do know a little something >>

Not content now Mike is done with you ? You drag me back in to your wee rant. Im of the mind your quite an angry little fellow and your ego outweighs your opinion so i too will disregard the provocation.
  • Options
    I tried to post pictures. But they are to big. Anyone know how to fix it? Please.
    Ron
    Wheat Pennies~Wheat Pennies~Wheat Pennies
  • Options
    CZ,
    Don't try to upload pix to this site. Too restrictive.

Instead, open a free Photobucket.com account. Upload them there. Then, copy the IMAGE link into your clipboard and just paste it into your message here.

Here's an example. If you do a "Quote" reply to this message you will see the text needed. (No need to "send" it; just "cancel" once you get the idea.)
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    i do not profess to be an expert with tokens but i'm not comfortable with this one either from the seller recently being discussed

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WOW!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL coin...
    Thanks for the info. I will post pitures soon.
    Ron
  • Options
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>album >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
  • Options
    the 1908 is 100% bad

the 1907 seems ok but with the low value it is moot in comparison with some of the others you have

pretty nice images btw :-)

• Options
    your images are good. keep em coming image

• Options
    yeah murray i "dragged" you into my "rant" the problem is that anyone capable of reading can see where you dragged yourself into my "rant" with your initial attack of my response. attack me as you will, im of the mind that you are a fellow with a big mouth with little knowledge of anything other than using snide remarks to bait someone into an argument, and when you get that argument you feel comfortable blaming the other party. stay hidden behind your computer little man, its where you do your best work.
  • Options
    images here, i need images!

• Options

<< <i>yeah murray i "dragged" you into my "rant" the problem is that anyone capable of reading can see where you dragged yourself into my "rant" with your initial attack of my response. attack me as you will, im of the mind that you are a fellow with a big mouth with little knowledge of anything other than using snide remarks to bait someone into an argument, and when you get that argument you feel comfortable blaming the other party. stay hidden behind your computer little man, its where you do your best work. >>

Nobody attacked you , disagreeing with your self appointed expertise is hardly attacking.I wont rise to your childish insults , perhaps when you've matured a little , but i doubt that.Im not the one hidden behind anonymous handles such as the inglorious ebaybuyer but i wont go into that.
  • Options
    im not the one who proclaims myself an "expert collector" you are an expert at talking, talking trash about others, anyone capable of reading can see your first post to this thread was nothing other than an attack (page 1) you had harsh words for me with ZERO provaction. then you continue your attack throughout the thread, when i dissected your question of "how a counterfeit got into a top flight slab", you changed your tune to a victim being "dragged into my rant" lie all you like, you may even convince yourself of your own lies. its self proclaimed experts such as yourself that feel you can say whatever you like about anyone without consequence, then you can always play the victim card. without even having enough sense to see the flaw in your initial request for me to explain to you how the counterfeits have ended up in "top flight" holders. or enough sense to realize that anyone can read what you type, i hope you feel youve accomplished something here, other than showcasing your childish sense of selfrightousness.
  • Options
    rather than continue kicking each other in the sack, why dont we just spell it out for what it is, you dont like me, i certainly couldnt care less for you, so lets just avoid each other and you can find someone else to bash, the next person may not even fight back, but i promise you, i will.
  • Options
    guess there is more than one way to skin a cat image

the 1869 is 100% non-authentic
    the 1872 is 100% non-authentic
    the S reverse looks non-authentic

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Expert Collector" is a title automatically assigned by the PCGS message board once attaining a certain number of posts. Once you hit 10,000 you get to pick your own.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>"Expert Collector" is a title automatically assigned by the PCGS message board once attaining a certain number of posts. Once you hit 10,000 you get to pick your own. >>

would "inept homo-sapien" be accepted?

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be more specific, ALL titles are automatically assigned by the PCGS message board system until a poster hits 10,000 posts, then he or she gets to make up their own title.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    i stand corrected, and i will refrain from further comment because im sure there are at least a few people here that are tired of the ongoing fued.
  • Options
    Now that the show is over... Will you guys tell me your opinions of these coins please..
  • Options
    the date on the 1869 doesnt look much more convincing than the first one, the 1872 looks like it was artificially circulated with a hammer, the 1903 looks like it MAY be genuine
  • Options
    Thank you . This is the same 1869.
  • Options
    the one with the S mintmark indian looks questionable, im not sure how many different reverse dies were used in 1908-09 or if the mintmarks were hand punched into the die or if it was hubbed, the style of the S looks off, could just be my lack of experience with indian cents, im thinking the S should have a stronger upper serif, this would be one for eagle eye, or charmy, either of those two could probably tell if its the correct mintmark style/size/placement for the 08-09 indians
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>im not sure what your intent was mike, or murray, both of you slipped your own words into my responses then tried to use those words to discredit my responses, i have no issue with criticism, however, i will not be bullied into accepting someone elses opinion just because they dont agree with mine. especially when it is done in such an underhanded way. rather than attacking me why not ask me some questions related to counterfeits so that i may "prove" my knowledge to you ? for the record, i was studying counterfeit coins well before the chinese began mass producing them. so yes i feel i do know a little something >>

I did not try and discredit your response -- I simply disagreed with it, which you misinterpreted as an attack.

Furthermore, I did ask you questions. You ignored them. I also offered the names of two individuals who might be able to provide you a more authoritative response to your assertions.

I will not ask questions nor offer assistance to you again, nor will I respond to you going forward, as it appears to me your mind is made up, your heels dug in, you are not open to discussion on this topic, and frankly I do not appreciate your tone.

Take care....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>the one with the S mintmark indian looks questionable, im not sure how many different reverse dies were used in 1908-09 or if the mintmarks were hand punched into the die or if it was hubbed, the style of the S looks off, could just be my lack of experience with indian cents, im thinking the S should have a stronger upper serif, this would be one for eagle eye, or charmy, either of those two could probably tell if its the correct mintmark style/size/placement for the 08-09 indians >>

Mintmarks were punched into working dies until the 1980's.

Here are examples of mintmarks from 1908 and 1909 IHC's (respectively). I think the above S is pretty close.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>To be more specific, ALL titles are automatically assigned by the PCGS message board system until a poster hits 10,000 posts, then he or she gets to make up their own title. >>

Our resident expert isnt the brightest crayon in the box .
  • Options
    for those that haven't followed this thread closely, the following two images should be paired

all the other images have obv/rev and these two are the ones left over and if that is the case the S reverse is automatically counterfeit for just being with this obverse

although i have to admit it is possible to cut coins in half along the edge to piece together with one side or the other, although it doesn't appear to be the case here

there was a very recent article on counterfeiters attempting this with coins in holders so you couldn't see the edges ><

hope it helps :-)

• Options
    so crazyzap

any updates from the chaos that ensued from the counterfeit roll debacle?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file