Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BST transaction limbo(my old thread about KLRC)

I recently made my first transaction on the BST last Sunday. The seller contacted promptly to make the deal and said he would mail it out right asap. Two days later no message so I tried to call him and he answered, I explained who I was and asked if he mail my item. He quickly stated no I'm busy I'll call you right back, well I waited till the next day till 2:00pm with no responses to my pm's and also not answering his phone. So I did some online research and found things that concerned me. So I opened a Paypal dispute, all of a sudden hes writing me and asking if I was serious, thats its only been two days. I said yeah but I basically got no responses and explained what else concerned me. He asked me If I still wanted the item I said yes he said he would overnight it to me as soon as he could make it to the post office. Its now Sunday and I'm right back to square one, no pm's, not answering his phone, and not item. What do you guys think?

Edited to add I sent him $618 so you would think that is enough money to at least answer pm's or your phone. The item Is also something I don't need and could of got on ebay for a small amount more.
Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
type2,CCHunter.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    not sure if i'd send him 2 xmas cards this year

all in all
    i hope it works out for both of you
    friday the 13th weekend

myself i'm a lil tweaked over my sub getting posted friday at 4 pm....with no grades available...then they went home
    every sub above and below my sub has grades posted...it's like "we need some grades on isle 3 please"

btw
    i hope the guy and family is ok...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I think you escalated things way too quickly. Filing a dispute with PayPal after 2 days? Seriously? Some people have lives outside of this forum.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I think you escalated things way too quickly. Filing a dispute with PayPal after 2 days? Seriously? Some people have lives outside of this forum.

-Paul >>

Is was because the lack of responses, but also something else. Like I said before I'm just not trying to out the seller
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, people have lives outside of ebay, BST, and coins. But at the same time, if you don't have the time to properly address potential customers and bidders, then don't
    put your stuff up on Ebay or the BST. If you're not going to be around for a while (ie days), then let the customers currently hanging fire know that. I've let half a dozen
    people take advantage of me in the past on transactions that dragged on. In 3 cases it went 2 yrs or longer. In one of those I was stiffed for thousands. While none of those was
    the BST I think you get my drift. The last time I let anyone drag their feet on me (ie a dealer) it went a month and the amount was a "piddly" $650. That pretty much
    was the straw that broke the camel's back as I had left multiple messages over a month period. I called the PNG and complained. Within 12 hrs I had a response from
    him and a check in the mail. What was even worse was that this guy was handling a consignment for me at Stacks and "forgot" about the auction. He also forget to leave any
    reserves. You'd think it wouldn't be asking too much to call me back within a month after the auction was over? And that joker (ie prominent numismatist) had the nerve to be
    angry with me for taking it to the next level. These days, I don't like to even give >24-48 hrs. Pretty much had enough of all the b.s. and games. If I can get back to people
    within 24-48 hrs, then so can they. If you can't, then don't play. Yeah, no XMAS card for that guy this year. The BST is no guarantee of character. Odds are it all works out.
    But I can understand the frustration that by turning one cheek, the other one gets slapped as well. Good thing is, you still have 2 more cheeks available. I ran out of cheeks back
    in the 1990's.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, people have lives outside of ebay, BST, and coins. But at the same time, if you don't have the time to properly address potential customers and bidders, then don't
    put your stuff up on Ebay or the BST..... >>

Have to agree with this. If you can't answer in two days, why would you post in the first place? When I sell, it's because I am ready to sell. Not when it is convenient for me.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    was it this?

removed link I found in the BST
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a quick escalation via PayPal. However, the seller did it to himself by promising to mail the lens (I believe I know who was the seller in this case) out quickly and then sitting on the transaction. I would not trust such a person after this course of events.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Things like this, the golden rule applies IMO. Treat others as you wish to be treated. If I buy something it's because I want it. If someone buys something from me you can bet I will be at the PO that day or the next depending on the time the deal is consummated.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I would have given him a few more days but I can understand how not answering PMs and what not could make someone nervous. I break up the blame 85-15 towards the sellers fault for the overall bad situation.
  • Options
    NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    I have to agree. Not returning any response is just wrong. How many people now have email attached to thier phones? I know not 100%, but even my grandmother in her 70s is using Facebook from a cell phone. Atleast email them back.

I had a similar thing happen to me on EBay where I was the seller. I waited a week for payment and got the I was out of town line. Buyer or seller, respond. Even if it is not what the other party wants to hear, it is better than no response.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    What were you trying to buy? Maybe I have one.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the lens arrives I would send it back and cancel the transaction unless you can verify the quality of the lens yourself in some way to be in perfect condition.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This example is the primary reason why you should always pay via regular PayPal and not PayPal Gift. Buyer would have had no recourse against seller if it was a "Gift" transaction.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post. I think I know who the seller is and I won't be buying from them.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    OK. I'm lost.

Exactly how many days has it been since only two days was mentioned yet certainly more time has passed. (" Its now Sunday....blah blah")
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the post. I think I know who the seller is and I won't be buying from them. >>

So by not letting the rest of us potential victims know who it is,you can sleep well tonight? I sure couldn't!
  • Options

<< <i>OK. I'm lost.

Exactly how many days has it been since only two days was mentioned yet certainly more time has passed. (" Its now Sunday....blah blah") >>

Been one week, but the seller was quick to respond to take my money, answered his phone quickly ended call and now won't answer, and only other time he reponded is when I opened a claim because of evasive behavior and other things that gave me read flags.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    if it is the item I think it is congrats its a good price though I offered a bit less. I would bet it works out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the post. I think I know who the seller is and I won't be buying from them. >>

So by not letting the rest of us potential victims know who it is,you can sleep well tonight? I sure couldn't! >>

The forum rules are stickied at the top , outing someone will get a member in hot water PDQ , with minimal effort on reading the thread a quick glance should tell you what you want to know.Took me all of 2 minutes : )
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So by not letting the rest of us potential victims know who it is,you can sleep well tonight? I sure couldn't! >>

The forum rules are stickied at the top , outing someone will get a member in hot water PDQ , with minimal effort on reading the thread a quick glance should tell you what you want to know.Took me all of 2 minutes : ) >>

You correct on both counts JamesMurray.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but the seller was quick to respond to take my money >>

Hmm, interesting that usually seems to be the case. Then, they're busy, they have a life outside of here, family problem, need to take the chicken to the vet.... etc.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    On the one hand, when a seller tells a buyer they will call them right back they should do so. Period. On the other hand, the claim was filed way too quickly.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreement with the OP on this one. You don't respond after posting to the BST and taking
    someone's money then it is only your fault. You say you will overnight it and then don't, it's
    only your fault.

I sell on the BST all the time and do not have a facebook account or a cell phone (old fashioned I guess)
    and I do not take Paypal. But, I do respond and make sure I can get to a computer each day so that
    I CAN respond and so forth. No excuses the OP is correct. Sorry, Michiganboy, that sucks.

Hope it works out and then you can just mark the guy off your list for the future.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>On the one hand, when a seller tells a buyer they will call them right back they should do so. Period. On the other hand, the claim was filed way too quickly.

Russ, NCNE >>

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The forum rules are stickied at the top , outing someone will get a member in hot water PDQ , with minimal effort on reading the thread a quick glance should tell you what you want to know.Took me all of 2 minutes : ) >>

Ty,Michiganboy was kind enough to PM me with that understanding.
  • Options
    Update, well I got the item today after I opened a claim. Its a cheaper model then stated when asked and missing a piece.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options

<< <i>Update, well I got the item today after I opened a claim. Its a cheaper model then stated when asked and missing a piece. >>

And the sellers return policy is ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Update, well I got the item today after I opened a claim. Its a cheaper model then stated when asked and missing a piece. >>

And the sellers return policy is ? >>

At this point I think I'm gonna cut my loses, lesson learned.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    Damned if i would
  • Options
    At least I would have sent you a nice coin for the same money!
  • Options

<< <i>Damned if i would >>

Your right James, I just changed my claim to represent what has happened. The more I think about it I'm not gonna let this guy beat me
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

At this point I think I'm gonna cut my loses, lesson learned. >>

It's good to learn a lesson but I would not just drop it, michiganboy. You got the wrong model lens and it was missing a piece. Send it back.

You have not been treated properly, IMO, and the seller should know that.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

At this point I think I'm gonna cut my loses, lesson learned. >>

It's good to learn a lesson but I would not just drop it, michiganboy. You got the wrong model lens and it was missing a piece. Send it back.

You have not been treated properly, IMO, and the seller should know that.
    Lance. >>

Yeah I'm not gonna risk sending anything back cause I'm not use to all this paypal claim stuff and at this point at least I have something to show for it. I did however change my claim and link all the info the would need to see to see that not what I got. I only asked for $100 back to at least just get the tripod socket that comes on the lens because its $100 dollars to replace. Also the model was questioned as being the os and the seller said yeah the os model which is significant difference in money as well.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting the impression that the seller could give two craps about being banned here and based on the dialogue from the BST, and Michiganboy's dialogue with him, could give two craps about the buyer. It's sad and it sucks.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Send it all back and Paypal will take care of getting the money back.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry this is happening to you.
    I saw the lens on the BST and was interested, but I saw the party involved and recalled that there was a brief "marriage" (business) between them and another board member and that that didn't last that long for "unsaid reasons".

Again, good luck with whichever solution you do end up staying with.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Some people have lives outside of this forum. >>

This is one of the most used and lamest excuses for someone to not do what they should.
    One places items on the bst for a reason, to sell, which includes providing contact post sale.
    Removing contact incurs the buyers wrath for good reason.
    Don't place the auction without being willing to finalize all steps of finishing the sale.
    Did the buyer overreact by filing a claim, certainly, could it have been prevented, most certainly.
    The ONLY out a seller has for poor post actions is family or personal illness or similar tragedy.
    This is just my opinion, but I didn't mention that this was not a small $25 auction which to many $600+
    is a small auction, but to most it is not. Take the time to finish all auctions immediately or at least make
    contact as to why you are delaying. A rule I wish all sellers lived by.
    JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Why is it that we don't get to know who this seller is? It's clear he's a flake? Why can't those of us without the experience and knowledge to investigate it be protected as well?
  • Options

<< <i>Why is it that we don't get to know who this seller is? It's clear he's a flake? Why can't those of us without the experience and knowledge to investigate it be protected as well? >>

Because not all "outings" are equal. Allow one and you have a circus waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    Circus? Did somebody say circus? I'm ready,I like a good circus!image Seriouly,I doubt if I will ever use the BST for several reasons. What I have found to be a very positive enjoyable experience is the use of PMs to communicate with fellow forum members. If I see a forum member talk about a particular coin that I'm interested in,I'll PM that member to discuss it. Speaking of which,where is that beautiful Washington Quarter that I told one forum member that I was in love with? And,of course,I don't want all of you to PM me all at once about my beautiful Morgans that I can't post yet because I haven't been skilled in that feat yet.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've had a hundred trouble-free BST transactions. In any marketplace sooner or later you'll run into a flake. It's unfortunate. But I feel better buying and selling on BST than any other place.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Im in the havnt a bad word to say about the BST , choosing not to use it is of course ones own choice. Speaking for myself ive never had a problem over 3 some years , coins , bullion , cameras , books , it's all about knowing who you are dealing with i believe.Perhaps a useful guide is thier join date , track record etc .
  • Options
    My mistake is I didn't check references.
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about contacting the seller about the lens. There was a BIG red flag for me and it might sound silly to alot of people, but...there was no picture of the lens being sold. I looked the lens up in Google, but I thought if the seller didn't have the capability to take a picture of it that I better stay away.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Ok,and those are some reasons why I will continue to sell to dealers like MCM,APMEX,Provident,etc. I don't have the references,experience on BST,etc.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok,and those are some reasons why I will continue to sell to dealers like MCM,APMEX,Provident,etc. I don't have the references,experience on BST,etc. >>

OK image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok,and those are some reasons why I will continue to sell to dealers like MCM,APMEX,Provident,etc. I don't have the references,experience on BST,etc. >>

OK image >>

Help me!!I forgot how to handle agreement! (And I've run out of smiley faces!)
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On the one hand, when a seller tells a buyer they will call them right back they should do so. Period. On the other hand, the claim was filed way too quickly.

Russ, NCNE >>

Hey Russ! Howareyadoin"?image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is it that we don't get to know who this seller is? It's clear he's a flake? Why can't those of us without the experience and knowledge to investigate it be protected as well? >>

I'd also like to know who the seller is. I think we are still permitted to use our PM function to ask the OP. Right?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file