Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone here from Canada, taking a trip for OPC baseball!

Comments

• Options
    Hope the rest of the trip goes as well. This has Thread of the Year potential!

Good luck!
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    It's thread of the year right now. You the man.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options

<< <i>Found a chance to check in. I have foundlots of stuff and have had a great time looking through many collections.
    Some people had so much stuff that I didnt have time to stay with them longer than I would have liked. I have made some
    contacts though and plan on doing some more buying from these people.
    Some of the the things I have bought...

1972 opc baseball set (looked at 3 of them, passed on the 1st 2 but found a nice 1 today at a great price)
    10 WWF series 2 opc sets. Crisp from vending case breakdown. Wish I bought more. Will probably call the guy back up and get the rest of them.
    a great lot of 1968 singles that look pack fresh!
    Many star cards from vg/ex to nrmt+
    Lots of 71 opc high numbers as well as some crisp lower numbers
    approx 6000 - yes 6000 1981 opc baseball gray backs! All from vending-crisp. Centering is all over the place.
    good size lot of 1967 opc singles.
    about 150-200 1977 singles. Looked through about 8000 singles a guy had and pulled some of the more difficult cards to get centered.
    Many more things but just wanted to give an update.

I was supposed to meet a guy yesterday that had the 54-55 parkhurst wrestling - he canceled with me

Will get some pics up when I get home. 2 more people to meet tomorrow and 1 on Wed! >>

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

is your Dad enjoying the food?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Just got up and staying in a Courtyard Marririott. 12th floor over looking Ottawa. Great view!

Just wanted to also add here. I turned down about 3500 1973's from a guy he wouldnt go under $700 for the lot.
    I offered $500 and told him was willing to take 3-400 lower end cards out. He did have a good amount of very sharp mint cards
    in the lot but still thought it was a bit much. I also knew I was meeting a guy (which will be today) who said he himself had broken
    down several 1973 opc boxes from the wax find. He said the cards he had were pack fresh. Well I shall see what today brings with him.
    He also said he has about 3000 1975's in the same condition image

The guy I turned down on the 73's also had about 10,000 1971's, 4000 1974's,and about 5000 1975's but all mid to lower grade which I was
    not interested in.

Im off!!!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Today in Ottawa...

2 stops on the day. 1st stop, guy had about 3000 1973's that were no good. Did have some nice 72's and 76's. Probably about 4000
    singles total but his price was waaay off in my mind. We did agree on a deal where I bought 76 factory 1989 opc sets!
    I have pulled all the Randy Johnsons and about half of the Ryans. The rest of the cards I trashed. Dont want to pay the shipping for all those
    sets and nothing else really worth anything in the sets. Got a GREAT deal on those.

Stop #2. Picked up about 100 or so more minty 1967's! In my opinion, the hardest of all OPC baseball to find in high grade.
    Also got some 1965's,76's and a few66's.

Not as much as I would have liked for a 5 hour drive up to Ottawa yesterday. I Drove back to Toronto after my 2nd stop (another 5 hour drive) and meeting up
    with the guy from yesterday who sold me a bunch of stuff inc the 72 set,minty 60's singles etc. He has so much inventory and I cut my stop short with him because I needed to get up to
    Ottawa. I think I will be picking up lots more tomorrow!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Another great day today!!!! Will post details when I get to the hotel. Last night. Im back in Buffalo
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    awesome stuff, good luck!

btw, this was pretty funny, "Before you go make sure you clean out your local dollar stores of those cheap plastic necklaces and bracelets with shiny beads. Many natives won't understand the concept of money but you'll have them lined up to trade their OPC for the shiny beads. "
  • Options
    Dont want to pay the shipping for all those sets and nothing else really worth anything in the sets.

Ripken, Puckett, Mattingly, Bonds, Rice, Maddux, Yount, Brett and Bo would all bring good money in PSA 10.
  • Options
    Great thread.

Did you find any mint 1986 opc box bottoms ?

• Options
    Ok, just back from dinner and checked in for the night. 8 am flight back home tomorrow.
    Shipped home 2 packages from Canada via Fedex triple boxed with plenty of peanuts.
    Both packages around 40 pounds. Good thing about this, is that I get 75% off on shipping with Fedex.
    My total cost was about $105 for shipping. Packages shipped International Economy which is a 2 day service from Canada.
    However with Fedex, sometimes the economy packages show up next day. I guess im only praying at this point that
    they dont get held up at customs. Deep down, I doubt they will.

Today I was able to pickup about 150 or so 1962 Post canadian cards with all the stars - Mantle, Aaron, Mays, Koufax etc
    Picked up a gem of a 1977 opc set with any of the star cards very well centered inc yaz,bench, carew etc.
    I got about another 100 or so 1968's which were as nice as the ones I got the 1st time from him. These look fresh!
    Got a great lot of about 50-60 (im guessing - not exactly sure as I just pulled the stack and put in the pile of cards I wanted)
    1971 opc high numbers!
    Also picked up several 1971 opc stars inc a very nice Rose.
    I got about 1500+ 1976 opc inc stars that are pack fresh! As nice as I have ever seen!
    I got several 1970 opc all star cards which are so hard to find centered.

Thats all I can remember but I know there are lots of star cards also included from most of these years.

All in all, I was very happy with this trip. I made some great contacts and will be buying much more from a couple of the guys I met.
    I didnt spend as much as I expected and thought I would be coming home with more. 1 guy cancelled, another guy in Ottawa changed
    the terms on everything we talked about and 1 other guy in my mind was just a bit too much on his 1973's.

I will get some pics up when I get the stuff in. I will be busy this weekend filling out PSA sub forms image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Great thread.

Did you find any mint 1986 opc box bottoms ? >>

No 1986 box bottoms. The guy I met had 1987's,1989's,1990
    I think he has 1988's as well but blank back.

I plan on getting more from him. He has everyone

I picked up about 15-20 Brett 1990's
    I also picked up 1989 Ryans,Ripken,Rice,Henderson,Schmidt - about 50 of each
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    I am so hoping nobody takes offense here, but I would need to rid myself of any OPC Topps cards if I had them. It's like, get to the point, Topps American is the real deal. Any foreign card product simply does not cut the mustard. Don't care about perint runs when it comes to Canadian cards, the edges, or whatever. Nothing but cards, issued here, in the USA count. yuck.. OPC. Again no offense but If I put up an auciton on ebay for a 1976 OPC card, I would feel icky.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Those French Canadians can be tough to deal with!
  • Options

<< <i>Those French Canadians can be tough to deal with! >>

I met some great people and everyone was nice. Just got turned off by that 1 guy who changed the terms on me.
    I couldnt get over the inventory a couple of these guys had! They showed me everything. Took me to side storage house
    with wall to wall racks of inventory. I was taken to back rooms where my eyes were popping out of my head from seeing just so much.
    I cant get over how much the hockey sells though
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>I am so hoping nobody takes offense here, but I would need to rid myself of any OPC Topps cards if I had them. It's like, get to the point, Topps American is the real deal. Any foreign card product simply does not cut the mustard. Don't care about perint runs when it comes to Canadian cards, the edges, or whatever. Nothing but cards, issued here, in the USA count. yuck.. OPC. Again no offense but If I put up an auciton on ebay for a 1976 OPC card, I would feel icky. >>

Of course collecting is subjective, but I couldn't disagree with you more. OPC rocks. And it has nothing to do with if they are "American" or not. What matters is whether they are LICENSED by MLB, which all OPC sets are.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I grew up on the NY/Canadian border. Canadian dealers often came to do shows. They were all pretty much good guys. I did a ton of business with them....just saying they could be tough LOL Sounds like you had a great experience. I bet it was a lot of fun!
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work! I'm glad you found a lot of opc baseball. You are right, hockey is king in Canada. Nothing else even comes close.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    It was funny when I was going through some of the baseball boxes guys would tell me no
    one has looked at that in over 10 years! Most of the boxes of singles that I looked at still
    had star cards mixed in. Found Rose, Bench, Yaz, Clemente, Aarons and more.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I love OPC baseball and am very jealous of this trip!
  • Options
    Get ready for lots of scans today! Tracking shows packages due in this morning image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Get ready for lots of scans today! Tracking shows packages due in this morning image >>

SCAN AWAY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    If you get any Carews LMK, Thanks!
  • Options
    Got 1 package in. The other will be late. Was told fedex truck blew a tire and should have it late today.
    Figures the box that I didnt get in yet has most of the better stuff.
    Anyways, starting to take some scans. Will have some pics up soon...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭✭
    This could be fun.
  • Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Couple MINT 1961 fleer cards. Not opc but had to grab them...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Never thought I'd say this but nice Johnsons!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I got a couple hundred 1967 opc baseball singles and this will give you an idea what they look like...
    1967's are the hardest to find in my opinion and most come badly centered!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Here are a couple 1976's. These leader cards are also hard to find centered. I have a box of maybe 1500-1800 1976's in
    the other package and all sharp like these..

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    I dont know much about these Post cards but I took them anyways...
    Condition not the best...I have many more of these...

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Let's see the '71s!
  • Options
    Just found out Fedex will not be delivering my other pkg today. If I want it, I have to get it or wait til Monday.
    With that said, I be be gone for about an hour or so, Gotta go get it!

Will be back with moere scans
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>Let's see the '71s! >>

They are also in the other pkg, on my way to get them...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    Dibs on 71 Clemente image
  • Options
    Cards in hand. On way back home! Wooooooo
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Very nice cards. Out of curiosity, did you happen to see any prewar Canadian baseball cards? Specifically, the 1922 Wm Paterson is a really tough set, where any of the cards sell fairly well.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice cards. Out of curiosity, did you happen to see any prewar Canadian baseball cards? Specifically, the 1922 Wm Paterson is a really tough set, where any of the cards sell fairly well. >>

Sorry but did not look for the pre war OPC baseball. There may have been some but wasnt looking for it
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first Savage on the upper left is very strong. The others are very nice too.

Fantastic centering for this issue and if the corners are as strong as they look in the scan that will grade high for sure.

• Options
    I have another 1 of these with awesome centering but just a very small amount of black smudge on the top black line.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Here are the best on these 2 cards. This Macho is not easy!!

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    OPC Box bottoms

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    im not going to lie ..... i have a Card-On!

Please show me some Brett and Munson's that are going to make me cry
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    OPC box bottoms

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Tim Raines gray backs!