Home Precious Metals
Options

What better way to make the consumer happy to pay for $3 gasoline

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
This past week I have been happy to pay $2.98 per gallon of regular in my local area. Though I had to buy when it was $4 I was not happy about it. I remember on the way up past $2.50 a gallon I was freaking out like the rest of the world and when we hit $4 I was happy to see it coming back down. Now that it is down to $3, this is now... the norm.

This got me thinking...

It seems a lot of people (I'm assuming my B&M that I visited the other day) are sitting on Silver waiting for the raise. Most buyers are waiting for the lows to buy.

One oz of Silver almost hit $50 last year (Right) and a few short years ago we were paying $10-$12 per oz... So, Silver went from $10 to $50 in a few short years and now that it is settling at $27-$30, are some of us thinking this is the new norm for Silver...?

I know there is no magic ball, and no way to know what the future holds.

It seems to me that to get us to want to pay $3 per gallon of gas, we ran it up to $4... Much the same that if we want us to buy Silver at $30 per oz, we boosted it up to $50 then let it drop to where we were comfortable paying...

just thinking. image

Comments

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The gas always goes down about memorial day. To me seems like they do it to allow the summer businesses to get their share of the pie (company store thing). Good low!

I don't know if they really can fix that so thoroughly for gas or pms, but the after-affect is still the same as you mentioned.

Silver may be sideways now. Enjoy the temporary rest.
    COA
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

The stores that sell fuel pretty much do it as a calling card to get you inside to sell you a coke and a snickers bar. It's the export countries, oil companies, and wholesaler/suppliers who makes the dough. If a fueling station were to sell only gasoline/diesel, they would be out of business in a month.

I'm glad fuel has decreased in price also. It's an election year, which has helped.

If demand were to go down, it would come down some more. The fuel pipeline never shuts off. There are no storage tanks at the end of the line. The companies decrease the price when the bean counters tell them that demand is slightly decreasing to prevent a backup which then people buy more and even things out again.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All we need to do now is get civil union employees happy to accept a $40k/per yr benefits package instead of $150k. They should be very happy (and thankful) to get the $40k. Stockton will show them how its done.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Go Stockton!
    Now set the trend in the other direction.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Interesting concept as related to gasoline prices, and reminds me of another phenomenon... in this age of coupons and Groupons, of expedia, travelocity, priceline, in this era of Walmart and Costco, do you feel like a chump those times you end up paying "full price" for something, for whatever reason?

(Like that silver I bought at $38/oz?) image

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now just to go find a job to help pay for that $3 a gallon gas. the economy is good so there shoudnt be any problems, right?
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting concept as related to gasoline prices, and reminds me of another phenomenon... in this age of coupons and Groupons, of expedia, travelocity, priceline, in this era of Walmart and Costco, do you feel like a chump those times you end up paying "full price" for something, for whatever reason?

(Like that silver I bought at $38/oz?) image >>

I try to not purchase anything without proper research. My favorite is the apps on my smart phone like "red laser" that compares local prices for the same item. A dollar here a dollar there... they add up. I have found the key to savings is to buy when you are not in NEED. For example, let's use toilet paper, everyone uses it... well, most everyone (I have a lot of time in Iraq, I'm not sure they know that TP was invented), when someone runs out of TP, they run to the closest store and pay whatever they are asking... But if you are keeping an eye out for that great deal and pick up to stock pile some, you will always pay the cheapest price.

So, if I bring that over to Silver. I'm thinking about maybe purchasing about 2oz a week (Every week to dollar cost average) and then put a little extra cash away for that "opportunity" when I walk into a cheaper price. Just thinking, I have not moved forward with this plan yet...lol.

Ray
  • Options

<< <i>now just to go find a job to help pay for that $3 a gallon gas. the economy is good so there shoudnt be any problems, right? >>

I am amazed at how many "help wanted" signs are out there yet I still see people complaining about no work. Usually this stems from a few things.

1. Not willing to move. I accepted a job in California, I am in Tennessee... Was there jobs here, YES, but this one offered more money and more opportunities. So I am moving to the job.

2. Not willing to do "That kind of work". From what I have been told, the economy is down... which means a lot of the college educated people that have earned the right to a good blue collar job by completing college to some degree are looking for jobs... many of them have accepted middle management jobs.. .which means the people that normally would have taken these jobs need to take the lower desired jobs. What happens is certain people that are "College educated" or have worked upper management refuse to step down and take the jobs.

Now, since the upper management are accepting middle management and middle management is accepting lower management jobs, that pushes the lower management back down to the stock boy jobs, and the pizza delivery jobs... Where does that put us non educated, just out of high school people (Majority of the human race)? I tell you, it puts you digging ditches, picking up trash, construction etc... There are jobs if you are willing to work.

3. Laziness... Many people could start a business (just about any business). I know of a place now that is looking for truck owners/drivers to deliver furniture. The average is about $500 a day earned per truck. As I am told, the contractor (Owner of the truck) receives about $200 per day and the helper receives $100 per day (Two people in a truck). The remaining $300 goes towards maintaining the truck and insurance. That's $200 per day cleared... but, if you own three trucks, the breakdown is even better since you get a percentage from each truck. I saw one guy that owned four trucks, the company was asking him when is he going to get another truck. He earnes $100 per truck as the contractor (Not a driver)... all he does is make sure his workers showed up in the morning and made sure his truck payments were made and insurance paid... about 2 hours worth of work per day, he earns $400 a day with the four trucks. (He pays two workers $100 each, pays himself $100 then uses the other $200 per truck to maintain the truck payment and insurance). If there are no jobs available, go make one by becoming a contractor or business owner. BTW these are not college educated people, they are regular working class people trying to make it for their family.

4. Hand outs... Our government breeds laziness... They give free money month after month without any recourse. If we do get a job, they take away the free money... So my options are this... If I sit at home on my a$$ and draw this free money, I get on average $650 a month (In some places), i am allowed to live in government housing at a fraction of the cost and if I LOWER my way of life I can sustain... Or, I get off my duff and find a stepping stone job where I make a little money... I report that I have a job to whit they cut off the free money and the subsidized housing... So if I work... I suffer, if I sit on my a$$ I live alright.... Unbelievable what this world is coming to.

We as American people are lazy... we can't find a job because we do not want to find a job.

Okay, stepping off my soap box.
  • Options

<< <i>This past week I have been happy to pay $2.98 per gallon of regular in my local area. Though I had to buy when it was $4 I was not happy about it. I remember on the way up past $2.50 a gallon I was freaking out like the rest of the world and when we hit $4 I was happy to see it coming back down. Now that it is down to $3, this is now... the norm.

This got me thinking...

It seems a lot of people (I'm assuming my B&M that I visited the other day) are sitting on Silver waiting for the raise. Most buyers are waiting for the lows to buy.

One oz of Silver almost hit $50 last year (Right) and a few short years ago we were paying $10-$12 per oz... So, Silver went from $10 to $50 in a few short years and now that it is settling at $27-$30, are some of us thinking this is the new norm for Silver...?

I know there is no magic ball, and no way to know what the future holds.

It seems to me that to get us to want to pay $3 per gallon of gas, we ran it up to $4... Much the same that if we want us to buy Silver at $30 per oz, we boosted it up to $50 then let it drop to where we were comfortable paying...

just thinking. image >>

Well, gasoline is back to $3.00 and silver is $21, so..... what are you thinking now?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought...Both will drop some more
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    I know that when I visit my sister in Canada, I'm more than willing to pay almost any price listed in the US.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    But they have "free" health care.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    and it's not even a major election year, go figure image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    They may have "free" health care but they pay for it by taxing everything up the butt. Also, as the US will find out, you'll have to wait even longer to see a doctor now.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like your PM's you can keep your PM's. Period.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree, in most instances, when gasoline prices fall is because they skyrocketed up first. However, in this case I think the answer is threefold. First, we are still in a global recession, which has put a damper on demand. Then there are the increased Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements on car makers, which means as Americans we are using significantly less gasoline then we did just a few years ago. Finally, the US has recently become the world's major oil producer (first time in 40 years I believe) LINK to article.

As for silver, there appears to be two factors. First, money has shifted from commodities to stocks (we'll see how long that lasts). The other reason is, just the mention of the Fed possibly increasing rates sometime in the future, which will eventually increase the value of the dollar.

Thus, too bad you can't convert your PMs into gasoline and store it in a tank in your back yard.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the price of gasoline when Obama took office? I'm guessing it was a lot less than $3.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the price of gasoline when Obama took office? I'm guessing it was a lot less than $3. >>

If you go to gas buddy, you'll find the biggest influence on the price of gasoline over the last 10 years was the recession. For the last 30 years, presidents have all talked about the importance of an energy policy, but none have created one.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gas is still at $3.45 in this area... would love to see $3.00..... and I still think PM's will be spiking late December early January... ICBW.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Never mindimage
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo we just broke below $4.
  • Options
    General rule: the more beautiful and interesting the location, the more expensive the gasoline (and most everything else)