Home Precious Metals

Did you add any silver sub $26.50 spot?

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
I added 80 ASE's just before the Asian open last night. Others are waiting for $23 or lower.

Did anyone else buy?

Comments

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I bought some when I was able to get it under $29.
    I was busy yesterday and I missed a couple of good deals!
    Hope for a drop next week because I need to average some expensive purchases I made a while back!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sub 26.50,
    But i did order a kilo last friday at around 26.75

It's all about what the people want...

• pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 827 ✭✭✭
    went to two local shops to purchase some fractional gold eagles, ASE, or 90% halves & quarters, nothing...the creel came home empty
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I've taken a couple weeks off. Maybe I'll cruise the jeep over tomorrow to my guy and throw him some bones.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    NO, Damit Spock! missed it looking for online deals and nothing local available at a decent price.
    ---80! Very Nice...Nice spot. Congrads. Tubes? (ahh, so its the asian market spiking at night..)---

Noon today is my local pawn shop buy time so I was hoping it would hold, down./.. Its going down a bit.
    (d and p, this is the little guys sideways buy time, let it stay low... It will be $36 in Oct)
    My Fri addiction, if the pawn shop fails me, are buffalo rds at the local shop for $29 (still better than apmex)

(If it hits $23 I'll be buying, but it will also start stinking around here. I'll be laying low.)
    COA
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>went to two local shops to purchase some fractional gold eagles, ASE, or 90% halves & quarters, nothing...the creel came home empty >>

Similar experience for me at LCS's. ASE's available for $32 each when silver was around $27.

I ended doing far better at Gainesville for 2012 rolls of ASE's even factoring in the extra cost per ounce of using my credit card.
  • I have been buying all along during the dips. I picked up ASEs anywhere from 30-31, prospectors anywhere from 28-29.

The problem was that the premiums kept getting LARGER as the spot price went down.

Even when silver fell from 29-27 the ASEs were sti priced at 30.5 or so.

I did pick up 10 Engelhard prospectors for 28.5 yesterday, that gives you a feel for the premium. The ASEs were priced at 29.5 yesterday (finally being priced lower than 30 yesterday.

This is all cash and carry at the local B&M, no waiting, no shipping etc.

To me, it is worth buying here for this exact reason.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    No........image
    Becky
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 ASE, 2X2012's. My normal weekly purchase, should have snagged a quarter ounce gold though.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a 100oz engelhard last night.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Nope, none for me image
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

No silver here but I snagged a 20 franc gold yesterday for $300 a little over spot but its a nice 1855-BB in XF image

I like my world gold , but the pickings have been slim lately so I jumped on that one.

All nice hits, esp the ASE's!

I just snagged a 5oz year of the dragon bar in plastic for 27.6 per oz/$138. Great pawn shop!
    (apmex would have been $152 - no longer interested in their full dragon set for their price)
    COA
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    Just 3 ounces through silversaver. I have an ongoing monthly order and make purchases now and then. I will be heading to my local B&M for my weekly Friday silver purchase.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    Got a 1/4 ounce of gold last night. Nice jump today. I've already emailed the buyer looking for a tracking number, and I received it about an hour ago.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It's always easy to say, in hindsight, that you added some when it WAS a low price.
    To say it after the fact kind of lacks credibility in my book. Come on here and say you bought at what the price was when that was the price , not after a 5% 1 day bounce. Not aiming this at anybody, I'm just sayin'.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>It's always easy to say, in hindsight, that you added some when it WAS a low price.
    To say it after the fact kind of lacks credibility in my book. Come on here and say you bought at what the price was when that was the price , not after a 5% 1 day bounce. Not aiming this at anybody, I'm just sayin'. >>

Rich, I have been adding 50+ ounces of silver a month for a LONG time. I was buying at $12 per ounce and at $48 per ounce. I do not regret buying north of $40. My goal is accumulation and not a quick profit.

The point of my OP was to find out if stackers here bought more when many were despairing about the price of silver. We can see many did. image
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The point of my OP was to find out if stackers here bought more when many were despairing about the price of silver. We can see many did. >>

Really? I counted less than 10 and btw, I'm still on the sidelines, not buying nor selling. Another "head fake?" We should know by next Friday.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Point taken, OGIM, and the point i'm trying to make is that it's easy to say what someone did after the fact.
    I agree, alot of people...even here, were really down on the metals, and perhaps still are so. So if one did add in less than the last 24 hours, nice job, but post it then, not after 5% in one day when silver was the number ($26.50) stated in the title just yesterday
    I also said that my comments aren't aimed at anyone, it's merely an observation on my part. So I hope no one takes what I said as being critical of them, like I don't believe them or something. If someone did add just yesterday at what NOW looks to be a stronger support level, I am nothing more than happy for them. I just wish they would've come on here yesterday and said they added. All jmho and I'm only being anal about it because others have been anal towards me about the very same thing. I know...be bigger than that, right? But being the one it was aimed at in the past, I say touche. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>

<< <i>The point of my OP was to find out if stackers here bought more when many were despairing about the price of silver. We can see many did. >>

Really? I counted less than 10 and btw, I'm still on the sidelines, not buying nor selling. Another "head fake?" We should know by next Friday. >>

Revision for OPA:

The point of my OP was to find out if stackers here bought more when many were despairing about the price of silver. We can see some did.
    Hey, here's my pre-prediction:
    If you missed the $26.50 low and some sale combo as well, it seems very likely you'll have more chances over the summer.

If you are a smaller buyer like me. Yesterday or today isn't much difference for silver.
    I'm expecting a big roller coaster ride over the next 10years and I expect you all have considered that too.

From a fellow addict, Have a good weekend! I'll be in withdrawel and maybe fix the house or buy food or some such!

Thanks to all for everything I'm learning. I promise not to blame most of you when I'm broke! (lol)
    COA
  • slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I didn't quite hit the $26.50 low but I managed to add about 25 oz in the $27 range. I would have bought more but I grabbed a couple of proof $5 eagles too.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I got some silver at $27.50 back in late 2010 that I had a good *paper* profit on for a while, and am now back to even.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More buying opportunities dead ahead. image

Jackson Hole announcement for more QE is not until August.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I don't time my buys to the market.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • So far, I did not buy anything this week but I might check out some LCS and a local flea market this weekend to see if I can find any silver art bars that I might be interested in adding to my collection.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's always easy to say, in hindsight, that you added some when it WAS a low price.
    To say it after the fact kind of lacks credibility in my book. Come on here and say you bought at what the price was when that was the price , not after a 5% 1 day bounce. Not aiming this at anybody, I'm just sayin'. >>

I see what you are saying, and it's valid. If someone posted a thread the day after silver took a big dump and asked "who bought yesterday before the dip?" and I had bought, I'd probably pipe up then too image

For the record I did buy some at $45+!
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I added around 75 oz ....... I really didn't want to though. It'll be back down next week.

I preferred to pass considering how upside down I already am in Silver. My problem is that I am a 'go to' guy in my city. If I want to keep business coming my way, then I have to buy no matter what spot is. At this point, I'm just sinking money in a hole and hoping for the best. It reminds me of internet stocks I was buying in 1999 and kept averaging my cost down as they were falling, lol. That didn't turn out pretty for me. Not when stocks were doing 10 for 1 reverse splits just to stay listed.

I was refining and selling to lock in profits, but ever since the downturn in Feb I've been holding it all and speculating. Meanwhile I have silver piled everywhere. If you're smart, don't follow my lead, I'm usually more wrong than right, lol.

The PM market for mths have been trading on sentiment IMHO, mostly uncoupled to fundamentals. That makes it a very risky investment in the short run, perhaps even until after the fundamentals have turned south. Honestly, I doubt any kind of a QE 3 would turn the sentiments around at this point based on how it performed since Feb. Maybe I should just melt my silver into an elaborage King size bed frame and plan on my children reaping the rewards. If you haven't guessed by now, I was totally unimpressed with Friday's up tick.
    It's been one week & it appeared to have been another "head fake". Silver is still in a tight trading range bear market. With luck, you may get another chance of $26.50 silver next week.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PM market for mths have been trading on sentiment IMHO, mostly uncoupled to fundamentals

You could have written the same in April 2011.

PMs trade only on sentiment. Sentiment is the only fundamental PMs have.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

$27.46.

Baley, you're down by $0.04.

I knew it would happen.
    Maybe, but the alternative investment I could have purchased instead of this dead silver has doubled. So, in a sense, aren't I down $27.50? image

$27.42.

So, now you're down $27.58 from "what coulda been".image

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The PM market for mths have been trading on sentiment IMHO, mostly uncoupled to fundamentals

You could have written the same in April 2011.

PMs trade only on sentiment. Sentiment is the only fundamental PMs have. >>

central banks are buying and not on sentiment. They know what a lot of us know: they're experiements are not working.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    i was able to go to the whitman show on thursday june 28th,
    there was a big booth in the back the guy had stacks of monster boxes selling rolls for $580,
    bought some but not like usually do, kept powder...

also picked up some awesome bars digging thru another vendors pile for 28.50, not many though 13...
    also picked a 1/4 au engelhard prospector...

guy was selling 1/10 platinum eagles for $180, passed
    also passed on a bunch of krugs for $1570, which someone should have bought them all maybe he had 20-25...
    on friday was the big spike up...
    keceph `anah
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Wow, rolls of ASEs for $580!
    I plan on going to the ANA in Philadelphia in August.
    If I wanted to try to buy some ASEs or other bullion there should I take my out of state check book?
    Credit card or just cash?
    Thanks in advance to whoever can answer this for me.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    cashola...
    keceph `anah
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>cashola... >>

This.

Cash is king.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics

<< <i>PMs trade only on sentiment. Sentiment is the only fundamental PMs have. >>

<< <i>central banks are buying and not on sentiment. They know what a lot of us know: they're experiements are not working. >>

Just what do they know that they are not sharing with the rest of us?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a lot of lateral moves in silver this past month. I've sold every last war nickle 40% half and 40% ike dollar I own at a bit under spot and moved small groups of foreign scrap out the door . I also sold most of the burnished uncirculated and proof eagles I had for a nice profit.

I've used most of the proceeds to buy morgan and peace dollars at around 20$ and some ASE's at or very close to spot on craigslist and at a local we buy gold place. I have almost the same number of ounces again that I had but in a much more liquid form. image

When the SHTF if it ever does maybe silver coins will be useful maybe they won't. I know I'll do better trading mercury dimes or franklins than I will trying to barter with 50% silver sixpence and 10% pesos.

May I ask if you buy to sell at high, or buy to hold?

<< <i>Maybe, but the alternative investment I could have purchased instead of this dead silver has doubled. So, in a sense, aren't I down $27.50? image >>

COA
    Nice, get rid of the odd stuff, to buy more popular. I would have gotten more ASE's but the silver dollars at that price are good. You could profit now from that.

<< <i>I made a lot of lateral moves in silver this past month. I've sold every last war nickle 40% half and 40% ike dollar I own at a bit under spot and moved small groups of foreign scrap out the door . I also sold most of the burnished uncirculated and proof eagles I had for a nice profit.

I've used most of the proceeds to buy morgan and peace dollars at around 20$ and some ASE's at or very close to spot on craigslist and at a local we buy gold place. I have almost the same number of ounces again that I had but in a much more liquid form. image

When the SHTF if it ever does maybe silver coins will be useful maybe they won't. I know I'll do better trading mercury dimes or franklins than I will trying to barter with 50% silver sixpence and 10% pesos. >>

COA
  • ITS TIME......

TIME TO BACK UP THE TRUCK AND LOAD UP WITH SILVER AND GOLD !!!!
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

<< <i>ITS TIME......

TIME TO BACK UP THE TRUCK AND LOAD UP WITH SILVER AND GOLD !!!! >>

I'm doing my part. image

BTW, the order of ASE's I mentioned in the OP still has not arrived. Gainesville seems to be quite cautious with credit card orders before shipping.

<< <i>ITS TIME......

TIME TO BACK UP THE TRUCK AND LOAD UP WITH SILVER AND GOLD !!!! >>

Really? Perhaps. I'm holding on to my cash & wait for the market to turn around. I may not catch to bottom, but I refuse to chase a "falling knife."
  • "NO ASSET IS SAFE NOW; THE ONLY CHOICE TO HEDGE RISKS IS TO HOLD HARD CURRENCY- GOLD"

Propping Up The Gold Price? 7/10/12 ZERO HEDGE

Izabella Kaminska makes the point that central banks have turned net gold buyers:

Kaminska seems to believe that gold’s price is not just central-bank supported, but its trajectory is downward:

If not for the gold bar/coin frenzy and ETF demand (now substituted by official buying), one might speculate that the collapse in conventional demand (i.e. for industrial and jewelery purposes) may have led to a very different price path for gold post 2008.

Now that ETF demand is waning, however, marginal support for the gold price is actually being provided by the official sector more than ever.

Though, given the gold price reaction of late, clearly even this is not so effective so, either gold and coin buying has started to wane as well – and there is evidencethat this is the case – or it’s taking ever more buying (by official sources) to keep prices supported at the current level.

The recent plateauing of the gold price thus either suggest that today’s spot supply is increasingly catering to tomorrow’s demand expectations, or in the context of more gold being produced all the time, it is taking ever more buying by the official sector to keep prices from falling.

In other words, sans the intervention of central banks on a major level: case bearish.

The obvious thing, though — even if we take central bank buying out of the equation altogether — is that total demand for gold is still increasing. And the price of gold has increased faster than sales, illustrating that the market has struggled and continues to struggle to keep pace with underlying demand.

And it’s not just demand for gold-denominated paper (i.e. ETFs or other such as-risky-as-anything-you’ll-get-from-MF Global assets) — it’s recently manifested as demand for hard physical gold:

It’s true that central banks are presently supporting the gold price — after years of selling off national wealth at pennies-on-the-dollar into a bear market and thus suppressing prices. Yet it’s not the Western central banks that are pushing demand for gold. It’s the BRICs. As PBOC official Zhang Jianhua noted:

No asset is safe now. The only choice to hedge risks is to hold hard currency — gold.

And as I noted yesterday, BRICs have founded and legitimate fears of buying even deeper into an increasingly ponzified, over-leveraged, rehypothecated and interconnective paper financial system. The PBOC (and other American creditors) already faces the risk of the US Treasury inflating much of their holdings away; the entire point is to get out of such assets into something much harder to duplicate, and impossible to inflate away.

According to China’s State Council’s Xia Bing:

China must make fuller use of the non-financial assets in its foreign reserves, as well as speed up the diversification of investing channels to resist a possible long-term weakening of the dollar.

No; I don’t think it’s particularly wise to announce to the world that you’re going to get elbow-deep into gold bullion either, but this isn’t just a bluff. China is importing hard-to-fathom quantities of gold:

Ultimately, the surge in demand for gold reflects one thing alone: distrust of the increasingly messy, interconnected, over-leveraged and fraudulent financial system. Whether it is China — fearful of dollar debasement — loading up on bullion, or retail investors in the United States or Europe — fearful of another MF Global (or PFG, or Lehman Brothers) — stacking Krugerrands in their basement, demand for gold reflects distrust in finance, distrust in the financial establishment, distrust in banks, distrust in regulators, distrust in government and distrust in the financial media. And it is that distrust — not (by any stretch of the imagination) central bank interventionism — that is the force moving demand for gold.

The distrust is not going anywhere because the system is still rotten. We all know — even Business Insider readers know deep down, I think — that there is something exceedingly rotten at the heart of the global financial system. We don’t know quite how rotten, how deep the rabbit hole goes, who will be implicated, or how fast. But with every LIBOR-rigging scandal (which the Fed, of course, was aware of), every raided segregated account, every devalued pension fund, every failed speculative “hedge”, every Facebook or Zynga pump-and-dump, we get closer to the truth.

There will be no bear market for physical gold until trust in the financial system and regulators is fixed, until markets trade fundamentals instead of the possibility of the NEW QE, until governments represent the interests of their people instead of the interests of tiny financial elites.

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
    There will be no bear market for physical gold until trust in the financial system and regulators is fixed, until markets trade fundamentals

You mean, like it was in 1980-2000, when everything was perfect?

Baley, I'm going to issue some promissory notes for mowing grass. I promise to mow your yard sometime in the future (to be determined at a later date) in return for 5 oz. of silver. You pay upfront with physical metal. I am also a pathological liar with a very poor track record of keeping my promises.

Any takers?

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everyone thinks the Central banks are idiots, then why are they held in such high reguard when they buy gold?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>Baley, I'm going to issue some promissory notes for mowing grass. I promise to mow your yard sometime in the future (to be determined at a later date) in return for 5 oz. of silver. You pay upfront with physical metal. I am also a pathological liar with a very poor track record of keeping my promises.

Any takers? >>

you're asking us if your lawn mowing coupon has the same creditworthiness and liquidity of a T-bill or $1 bill?

edited to add: PS 5 oz. silver? you either greatly overestimate the size of my yard in Baleyville, or your fee is exhorbitant!