Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PICTURES IN FIRST POST!!! Question....What is the MAX you would pay for a Morgan NGC MS61* Reverse

Assume it is as awesome a Rainbow toner as a 61* could be...

Doug

Picture Credits: KryptoniteComics - Shane
Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I hope a few will play the game and toss some numbers out there. Not my series otherwise I would play.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    no picture...no price
    we're a tough crowd here dougster...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I'd even think of a bid too far above the average MS61 if it wasn't special enough to be graded MS61* by NGC... usually they give that star designation to the really pretty toners.

• Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>Not sure I'd even think of a bid too far above the average MS61 if it wasn't special enough to be graded MS61* by NGC... usually they give that star designation to the really pretty toners. >>

Oops..it is a star, sorry. Original post edited. image
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options

<< <i>no picture...no price
    we're a tough crowd here dougster...image >>

It's a HYPOTHETICAL my friend!!! Take a leapppp! lol.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    For an MS61? Star or no star I doubt I'd offer much over bid for an MS61 Toner.

But thats just me.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very little over book if that, as I have not found 61's to be loved on any market.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a common date monster rainbow toned reverse with good luster and the marks keeping it at 61 are primarily on the obverse (as is usually the case) then it could go $300+ IMO. I've seen them bring that in recent years.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Very little over book if that, as I have not found 61's to be loved on any market.
    image >>

image especially when talking about an such abundant date and series.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Assume it is as awesome a Rainbow toner as a 61* could be... >>

Since "Rainbow" is sooooo overused and IMO most are not rainbow......... being a 61 I wouldn't pay much no matter how nice you say it is. image
    Oh, it's a reverse "RAINBOW" one? Price goes down even more.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    If it is truly as epic a piece as I can imagine, I could see a $1,000 price tag.

After seeing the pictures, I would say a retail price of $400 would be reasonable.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Sight unseen.... Spot +3%

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sight unseen.... Spot +3%

image >>

Ya, I'd pay about the same, but only if I was in the market for bullion that day. Not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Nothing. I don't like NGC holders or MS61 grades.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I would pass on the 61 as I have with the 62s. Not even an offer as the odd grade would be a distraction mentally, but also eye appeal too condition wise. Amazing or not, there are a ton of toners out there and in higher grades.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing. I don't like NGC holders or MS61 grades. >>

Swimming in the kool-aid image, as to the op's question beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm not a big fan of tarnish so I'd pay AU58 money for it.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    how the toning looks plays a big factor. We need pics image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $26.32
  • Options
    Can't wait to share! Shane will get me the pics tomorrow and I will post...this is going to be fun. image
  • Options

<< <i>If it is truly as epic a piece as I can imagine, I could see a $1,000 price tag. >>

An open mind! Good for you! I must admit the reverse is probably a 63 to 64...it's the dead white obverse that brings it down to a 61....the money side, as they say.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    61 has generally negative eye appeal. So 61* would be an ugly coin has a surprise positive attribute? Without seeing a picture, it's probably not for me, but then I'm not a toner chaser.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would pass on the 61 as I have with the 62s. Not even an offer as the odd grade would be a distraction mentally, but also eye appeal too condition wise. Amazing or not, there are a ton of toners out there and in higher grades. >>

I thought like that before, but then I started looking at the coin and not the grade. I have had some really nice, to me, 62 graded coins. If the look is right, and the price is right, to me, I don't have a problem with it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $400
  • Options
    TtT!

Pictures in first post!

Doug
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has good color but it also has spots in the color and that color around trust is weird. Worth a premium, how much is different to everyone.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll go up the $35.00 and that's all. And yes I saw the images.

Edit to add that I do not consider that to be natural toning any way I look at it.

• Options
    Wow thats even more ugly than I'd thoughtimage it may be natural but it does'nt look like it, yuck you can have it. Might be worth something if the rev looked like the obv.
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Okay, now that I see the photo.... Spot +5%, after all it is an "O" mint image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've observed the images also, before responding.

TO answer your question:
    1) I would need to have a singular interest in dramatically toned Morgan Dollars

2) I would have to have a specific criteria for the toning pattern and color already established.

3) I would have to decide where this coin ranked among the toned Morgans that I already own or have owned.

4) I would want to know for certain that the coin could easily be passed along in the market if the necessity to liquidate became urgent.

I have no doubt that you paid four figures for this coin. I would not have.
    "Can't wait to share! Shane will get me the pics tomorrow and I will post...this is going to be fun"
    Please give us your definition of fun, so we know how you're doing.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    100$ bucks, The dealers who sell them might ask for more that doesn't make it worth it.
  • Options
    TTT for the weekend folks. image
  • Options
    not a bad looking 61
    i could see that floating in the $300 to $500 range
    those colors are muted from what i can tell
    different lighting approach could really pop those colors
    colors are really centered too
    i likes it...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Hey I love toned Morgans but still would pass after seeing the pics. Deep colors are cool but still a common toning pattern. image

Not to be a poo poer, but $30 proof 68 Kennedy halves can get the star designation. So I don't look at the star as being as cool as some think it is. image
  • Options

<< <i>not a bad looking 61
    i could see that floating in the $300 to $500 range
    those colors are muted from what i can tell
    different lighting approach could really pop those colors
    colors are really centered too
    i likes it...image >>

The colors aren't muted...that's exactly what the coin looks like in hand. Sure I couldn't have tilted the coin more to give the coin a cartoon unnatural appearence with light hitting off of the surface like some but I want the image to match the coin in hand and I would imagine anyone seeing the coin and the image would think they were spot on image
  • Options
    hopefully no offence was implied or taken...if so you're out of the 2 xmas cards this year club...says me...image
    nah
    my reference was muted in that they're a lil dark
    that coin in better lighting i'm sure has more of that neon "sheen"

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big fan of the green on the reverse, so I would pay market for a standard 61 if I were a Morgan collector. Clearly, there are those who value such toning and would pay some type of premium, but that would not be me.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 bucks

EDIT TO SAY, Holey Smokes !!!!!,...OMG

some one got paid image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sight unseen.... Spot +3%

image >>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offer, I would not bid on a tarnished coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder if all the members saying they'd offer a ride on the LowBall Express to buy the coin would whistle the same tune if they were selling it??image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was 3-5 hundred, then I clicked the link provided by braddick.
    Common date, low end Unc's, with big color command high prices, you only need two that want it.
    Keets summed it up.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    I like the coin. I would like it much more if the toning were on the obverse. From Shane's pics, NGC was a bit hard on the grade, IMO. From what I have seen offered here and other sites, the date and grade mean less that the quality of the toning.
    Gary
  • Options

<< <i>i wonder if all the members saying they'd offer a ride on the LowBall Express to buy the coin would whistle the same tune if they were selling it??image >>

Of course not, as a seller you want to max your gain so hypeing the tarnish is the game. But then I'll never be the seller as I dont spend what I feel would be stupid money on coins like that. No offense to the seller or the buyer but I much rather spend that amount on something better.
    My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    I like the coin at where it's at but am afraid it'll creep in the $500.+ side before I get a chance to bid.

peacockcoins

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Melt. >>

Your heart melts too when you see it?

peacockcoins

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eh. Doesn't look too natural to me - and I gotta wonder why it got the 61 grade.
  • Options

<< <i>eh. Doesn't look too natural to me - and I gotta wonder why it got the 61 grade. >>

Wow, really? I've been doing toned Morgans for 10+ years but I know that pales in comparison to your experience and expertise in our hobby. I am flabbergasted that you wonder in the slightest this coin to be NT. Simply classically concentric album toning to me. Colors are crazy fun but all in the right progression and shades. The 61 grade comes from an absolute Dead obverse luster. (Keets was spot on in his post here) No breaks though in what little luster is there, so they gave it the 61. The reverse on the other hand is a 64, give or take.

Your reply is probably one of my top 10 surprise posts for this year so far TDN! Wgr, Doug

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The maximum I would pay is _ _% of wholesale Ask for AU58+ with a _ _ _ sticker and in a PCGS holder. I'd have a hard time buying it with my attitude, but I'd change my attitude if I owned it. image .

signed,

The Kool Aid dude with a 'tude

some comedy intended

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file