Home U.S. Coin Forum

My personal experience with the handling of my grandfathers antique tool collection, and how it spaw

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
My maternal grandfather was a hard working individual. He left school in 6th grade, and was determined to make a successful living. He entered the field of carpentry, and soon went into business for himself at age 15. He worked long hours building tornado shelters for people in Oklahoma. He retired at age 45. With land measured by the square miles. My grandfather was a collector. His first passion was the wild west as he sought original stage coaches of the wild wild west, he once travelled great distances to add pieces to his collection. Until he corned the market. He sold the collection, and progressed into depression era glass. He sold his collection for 150,000+ in 1960s. He began collecting case knives, and guns. He sold his gun collection in 1970s for over 200,000. And he told me he owned billy the kids 6 shooter at one time. He then dabbled into coins for a short stent focusing on error coins, I still have some of his submissions to the magazine in 1980s. After coins he felt drawn to antique tools, he said he had always had an interest in antique tools since he bought his first hammer at age 8. On one occasion. I was 16 years old, and I began to divulge an interest in us coinage thanks to a paternal uncle. I decided that I would help my grandfather seek out tools for his collection, in an attempt to collect coins from his safe. My grandfather requested a Stanley #1, which is a wood plane about 3-4 inches long. I was so excited, and within a month I had visited every flea market, tool dealer, or anywhere else I might find this tool at within 200 miles of my house. The first dealer I asked laughed me out of his shop. The second wanted to know how deep my pockets were. And the third said he had just purchased one... But it had taken 20 years. At the end of the summer I went to visit with my grandfather. He asked me how I did on my journey. I told him that I tried, but failed. It was at that time he told me to go look in the display case in the living room, that's where I saw 7 Stanley #1's sitting next to one another. You see my grandfather was an avid collector, and he collected with a vengeance. In the world of antique tools, where a piece had a survival rate of 5 pieces known, he had 4 and was actively seeking the 5th. He was a student to his trade, and always studied.

When my grandfather passed, my mother and her brother made the decision to sell the collection as it was we'll within their right to do so. At the time I was living in DC and the auction house that specialiZed in rare antique tools was in Pennsylvania. The decision was to sell my grandfathers collection in 4 or 5 auctions. I wrote to the auction house in regards to the auction being held in camp hill, pa. They invited me to attend. They even allowed me to open the auction with a brief recollection of my grandfather. I spoke of the Rae tools, and how I had handled them with my grandfather. I imagine it would be like how a major collector of coins would share the pieces with a son or nephew. The best part was during the auction, I got to meet fellow collectors who knew my grandparents quite well. They shared stories of how they had competed for unique items, with ultimately my grandfather winning the auction, and the piece was of the market for 25 years. One collector told me how my grandfather bought a tool from him in 80s. He finally got the chance buy it back in 2010.

It was quite special to be apart of the auction process, and to see the excitement of the new owners. But my experience is don't forget the grandchildren. You don't have to leave much, but even just the memories are priceless.

This is one of the Stanley #1, wood planes that my grandfather sent me a goose hunt for...

This is a write up in Error Coin Magazine featuring some of his finds. I still have the coins.

This coin was from one of my grandfathers first submissions to error coin magazine, it was returned in a plastic sleeve stapled to a piece of paper signed by Allen levy, with a personal note requesting to purchase the piece for $50. I still have all the documents with it.

This is the auction catalogue to the auction in Camp Hill, PA produced by Brown Auction Services.

This is a wooden, plow plane with center wheel, one of the highlights of my grandfather's collection.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That was a beautiful story, I'm sure your grandpa is proud. It sounds like you make him proud every day, too with the way you carry yourself as a collector, and how you survive his memory.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Edit, pictures added.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    great read...thanks for sharing
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is awesome bro!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    THANK YOU for sharing. Stunning story.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was absolutely a great read. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Might I ask what that plow plane went for?

<< <i>Might I ask what that plow plane went for? >>

If I recall it was in the neighborhood of 14,000 to 20,000.
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Yow.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sooo cool. Glad you were able to connect with your Grandfather.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JackrabbitJackrabbit Posts: 266 ✭✭
    Sir,

Anymore stories about Grandpa, that you would like to share... How about a coin story or another carpentry story would also be great... A Grandpa once told me that in life, one must build memories. Sounds like your Grandpa was one of those persons..

Thanks for your story.

Jim
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.
    Becky
  • dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing some of your family memories. It brought back some of my own memories with my grandmother collecting coins in the late sixties. Thanks for a quality post to this forum.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice story ... thanks for sharing.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story !

Your grandfather was quite a guy......
    It is interesting in the fact that a lot of collectors of coins focus on coins that circulated during the founding years of this country. My grandfather focused on assembling one of the largest antique tool collections in the country, the tools he sought built this country!! I remember him having people fly out to his home, just to try to buy a piece out of his display case at his house. Mind you he had over 5 houses full of tools, from floor to roof!

As a child I would look through the cataloques of previous auctions, quickly finding the most expensive pieces, asking if he had that one or this one. Then he would tell me to go look in the 3rd case in the living room, and there would be the item.

The fondest memories were traveling to tool shows, and watching him haggel for items. He knew his material, and was tough man to negotiate with. But he always got the item.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad someone else has an interest in old tools. I have several old wood planes, wrenches etc that were my great great grandfather's, I also have a wood truck box that he made with the planes ca. 1910. For some peculiar reason I have numerous items that were his, even his coin purse with the money he had in it from the day he died in 1918 during the influenza epidemic. My favourite items are the Stickley rocker and a Kodak Brownie camera with the original receipt from 1915 - it still works also.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • greenwrgreenwr Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Great story image
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity and my complete lack of knowledge regarding hand tools, what did the Stanley Nr 1 go for at auction? Great story!!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    The Stanley #1 sold as high as 25,000
  • Neat story, thanks! it made me go look at some of the tools my father left me, found a stanley No. 5 and 6, not worth much except that they were my Dad's! My favorites are the stanley cherry levels he left me. Still use them.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Stanley #1 sold as high as 25,000 >>

I've seen them in near-mint barely get $800. What was special here?

I disposed of a relative's tool collection which was mostly planes and was always impressed by
    the high interest and spirited bidding. It looks like a fun hobby.
    Tempus fugit.
    His 7 sold from 2000 to 25000 a piece. Much like variants of new jersey coppers the same is true for the tools.... And like coins condition is everything!
  • bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Great story, it amazes me how some people can do and accomplish so much in thier life.
    Just remembering my grandfather today, the reason I am a collector today.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of my grandfathers, and fathers tools...instead of putting them in a shelf....I use them.
  • I wish I had known him, thanks!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat story - thanks for the education as well.

Until he corned the market.

Not sure what this means - interesting visual. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice read. I like the retired at 45 part. But that was just a new begining.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
    Attended a local gun show... For some time I have been considering purchasing a pocket knife. My grandfather was an avid collector and dealer of case knives. My grandfather would always send me home with 2-3 knives every time I visited, much to my mothers protest.. My father had one, a case knife, barely 2 inches in length... I remember as a youth when left at home alone I would find my fathers knife and play with it. I always put it back when I heard the car pull in the driveway.

It seems pocket knives are lost to past generations, but today out of nostalgia for my grandfather and my father I purchased my first case knife... I am not sure why I need one other than sentiment... But who knows maybe I might have to perform an emergent tracheostomy...

I know for a fact collecting is a genetic trait, and if it wasn't for my grandfather I would not be a coin collector today. My grandfather emphasized knowledge, I often wonder what he would think of the collector I have become.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story, thanks...Cheers, RickO
  • I really enjoyed reading your story. Thank you
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
    A personal favorite, always pleasant to reminisce.
  • Seems to me that aside from the material things we may bequeath to our grand children our greatest and
    most treasured gifts to them IMHO is a sense of purpose, honor, integrity, loyalty, honesty, etc., etc., etc., etc.
    Thank you for a great post.
    Grampa Skip
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story!

While I would never tell a young person to drop out of school, I think this shows what you can do with talent and ambition in trades that have nothing to do with college. I really can't understand why college graduates look down on skilled carpenters, plumbers, auto mechanics or any other similar expertise that many of us who have college degrees can't handle. If you are a young person and have the desire, talents and desire to pursue a career in the trades, don't let anyone tell you that you are a lesser person because you rather learn those trades than go to college. The way things are going, you will be the one with the job while the college educated person will be one who will scratching to earn a living.

It is great that you could share those experiences with your grandfather. In my family, only my grandmother had an interest in coins, and she was a bit more of a hoarder than a collector. An uncle got me started in coins by giving me a Red Book and Whitman cent folders for Christmas, but he lived 1,500 miles away, and I seldom saw him. He only had a casual interest in coins and stamps and did not have a very large collection.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great story Daniel. I remember once looking through a book on antique tools and seeing some of those crazy fancy planes. They look like pieces of art.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool story and pics... Love that kind of stuff...

ABimage
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Grandfather is an inspiration to all collectors. Thanks for sharing his story.

OINK
    Collectors merely hold items for the next generation. I hope I am as good a steward...
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post ,and thanks for the lost memories.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story thanks for sharing. I'm not sure why, but it still amazes me at all the different types of items people collect.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
    Memories are what is best to save....and share.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to read that story again.
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific story- seems there is an appreciation for machine made items that involves some hand crafted talent

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story about an amazing man... you can be justly proud of your heritage. Cheers, RickO
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read. Thank you for sharing. The value of the memories far outweigh any value the items collected might have.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file