Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roll call for "You Suck" award winners

I'd like all who have ever won the prestigious "You Suck" award to sign in and post a pic and the story behind their winning coin. It would be nice for newer people on this forum to have these consolidated on one

thread to see what all has transpired through the years...sort of a "You Suck" Hall of Fame to browse. If anyone has a pic and background story of a coin that was owned by a deceased member please post

those as a tribute to that individual as well. There will be alot of historical/variety education to benefit from. Looking forward to this!

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<< sits in cornerimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tough to find all these doing a search as most of the times the award was a pic such as these...

Stewie's a really popular one image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it has come to the attention of the masses that some people actually went out and tried to invest their time and money into the endeavor of making a profit from others so now it is deemed impolite to let others know of such endeavors.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This old man "roll" up, "call" me out in front of the shop and ask: "You like ? " I answer : "you suck".
    He laugh and say, '' You walk " image

HE>I

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I think I got a few you sucks` for this silly discovery.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had two but it's been so long ago that I only remember one. That was a purchase on Ebay that
    was listed in Canada. Listed as a 1883cc. VERY Heavily toned obverse. Got it cheap due to the heavy
    toning. It arrived and it was a 1893cc! Paid about $70 as I recall. Have since sold after getting PCGS
    to put a XF45 on it's tomb.

The other escapes me for the moment.

bobimage

Oh, I did feel guilty and wrote the seller and he said that he realized his mistake the next day, but
    let it go the way it was anyway! He said "enjoy".

Gotta love those cannuks!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    My nephew was going through a box of pennies purchased in bulk for $.03 each. He got very excited the other day when he found a 1914 D. My immediate response was "You suck". He looked at me and said, "YOU SUCK, you bought it for less than a nickel." I said, "You suck , you found it". That's when he realized those words, "your pay is commensurate with your experience".

HE>I

<< <i>I think I got a few you sucks` for this silly discovery.
    image >>

You can not only have one from me, but I hold you in high esteem for such. It's amazing.

HE>I

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I gambled on a raw 1922-D Lincoln on the bay with bad pics, paid $200 then to NGC and got it into a MS-65 RB holder :-) I choose NGC only because I was able to run it by David LAnge in person at the Phoenix ANA show and handed it over to him personally :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it has come to the attention of the masses that some people actually went out and tried to invest their time and money into the endeavor of making a profit from others so now it is deemed impolite to let others know of such endeavors.

image >>

thank you for making this post. I was going to post a few candidates but in light of your comment I will refrain.

I will appoint my own "I know I suck" award rotfl

although I have picked myself previously but I still bought them from someone else and only later found something "neat" about the items

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked off an 1833 LM-5 Half Dime for about $250. It's the 3rd best of 5 known.
    Just this last week I picked off an 1952 Proof Washington Quarter FS-902 for $25. Only about 4 or 5 known.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Thanks for starting this thread!!

Being a new member this will be very informational and a great read!
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I've got too many to list!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Stone has to be the leader of this prestigious awardimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think the only one I remember was when I picked up a nice raw MS 1943 Walker at a Denver coin shop for $30. Later got it slabbed by PCGS and it came back MS-66. If this board had been around in the 80's and 90's, I would have picked up many more. Think my all time from that area was picking up an MS raw 1950-D quarter for $5, and later finding out it was a D/S. I remember many dealers saying that wasn't a D/S, but wanted to buy it anyway for near nothing. I eventually traded it away for some nice half cents and large cents. Looking back, I wish I just would have kept it and got it slabbed. It probably would have gotten at least a 63 or 64 IMHO.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got too many to list! >>

Yes, you do !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I found a 1942/1 D merc in a small bag of melt. Only paid 2.00 for it if I remember correctly. I also picked a raw 1914 MPL off eBay listed as an unc.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Stone you HAVE to share at least ONE story! By the way folks, these don't have to be about something you purchased from another board member...of course you want to be sensitive about that...but

I'm sure there have been many instances, Ebay, trade shows, even auction house buys that would not be construed as hurting anyone's feelings. Your attention to detail and expertise in grading or variety

identification is what made these buys so spectacular. One person I want to give kudos to is John Nanney. Even though I personally didn't get in on the gravy train, there sure were alot who benefitted from

his 2008/2007 reverse silver eagle discovery. Ok, enough from me....please continue to edify and amaze!

P.S. Cam40....cool coin....love to have that in hand!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I got a few you sucks` for this silly discovery.
    image >>

You gotta bigtime SUCK for that one CAM! Didn't one of those sell for around $2,600?

I've been.....uh......... I mean I've sucked a couple of times in the past.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here is a consolation prize from me ;-)

a lot if not all of the coins in these threads are picks

picks
    picks
    picks

there are MANY more threads like those that contain peoples picks for anyone willing to dig

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

You are the undisputed KING of the You Sucks !!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You are the undisputed KING of the You Sucks !!!! >>

I dunno, if Mad Marty were still posting actively, he might argue with that.

Marty used to host a page listing the official YOU SUCK hall of fame members, but I don't think it's been updated in years and for all I know it's off-line entirely. Most of those were awarded to folks who turned low-cost raw purchases into top-pop coins at PCGS. For example, IIRC Marty submitted a $15 Franklin Half purchase and made a top pop which sold for around $12,000. There was another fellow who found multiple 1961 DDR halves in a sealed box of proof sets.

Anyway, that was the level of success you needed to achieve to get an official YOU SUCK award. The term has since grown to encompass any astute purchase or cherrypick, but many of us old-timers adhere to the old standards. I once turned a $150 purchase into about $3500 and the YOU SUCK award winners responded with the internet equivalent of a gentle pat on the head and a sarcastic "Aww, isn't that nice..." I was disappointed but it taught me a valuable lesson - to look for satisfaction from within, and not on the approval of my peers. (The approval is pretty nice, though image)

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was awarded a "You Suck" about 2 years ago when I copped an NGC Black (the Peace Dollar) off of eBay.

I deleted it off my sig line when things got a little heated and I wasn't sure if I could add the "You Suck" designation . . . . I think it is OK to put it back now though.

I value my "You Suck" more than any other awards I have been blessed with in teaching and coaching. Funny -- I went to my school and teams the day after and was GIDDY that I had been bestowed the honor here -- of course everyone in the real world thought I was looney.

I think I want it on my tombstone . . .

Drunner
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Maybe one day i'll suck as much as some of you, until then..... SUCKERS! image
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe one day i'll suck as much as some of you >>

Usmoneylover......you set yourself up for it hahhaahahahaah
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sumorada needs no vote for ruling king
    if one knows about this club
    undisputed
    11,000 + no date prezzie bucks at face
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I officially received such as an "award", or just literally.
    If I did, it would be for this: We Are The Denver Mint !
    I've found a couple of 1829 Curl Base 2 Capped Bust Dimes for relatively cheap - 1 being Top Pop (I sold this one to a board member)!

1844/44-O Seated Half for $30 subsequently graded PCGS F-15!

1892 Barber Quarter for $30 subsequently graded MS-64+

1795 FH Half O-101, R7, for $1700 and sold for about 10x that

1827 O-148 CBH in EF-40; 2nd finest at the time (maybe still!)

1825 B-2 and B-3, TDS reverse Cuds

Those are the best ones off the top of my head. Some of the Modern collectors making Top Pop coins can out-do this list (like MadMarty, Wondercoin, etc)
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it has come to the attention of the masses that some people actually went out and tried to invest their time and money into the endeavor of making a profit from others so now it is deemed impolite to let others know of such endeavors.

image >>

+1 I recently got mine on april 30th Enjoy tom image OH YES I do want TO THANK the first person who found those and got them listed in the cherrypickers guide............THANK YOU image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    Bought a raw Kennedy from a dealer for about $1.50. Submitted 3 times including a presidential review. 3rd/4th time also graded ms 66. I saw that and it was still in house. Told them the small mark below Kennedy was a mint strike thru. They waled it thru including David Hall. Came back ms 67, Pop 11, at least as advertised by PCGS. Value now $2500.
    Bought another raw 1976-P clad for less than $3. Submitted 2nd time Pop 1 MS 67+, now in coin Facts as well as the 1965. Value Now $2500 in PCGS guide. Been offered $4000. Not bad for $1.50 plus grading. Appreciated that suck.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

+1 I recently got mine on april 30th, and after posting my recent find others here not only used the info to dethrone my top pop find but shared with others and TOOK Credit..... NOT EVEN one thanks for those I taught. Over this past weekend I helped another member who was not even sure of what he had, ONCE AGAIN Not even a thanks and in there thread people stopping by to give congrats on knowing what to look for and yet no mention of the help he received. Its really sad to me, used to be proper to thank the person that took the time to show and teach the others Not anymore......... Lesson learned Enjoy tom image OH YES I do want TO THANK the first person who found those and got them listed in the cherrypickers guide............THANK YOU image >>

Over the past weekend 1Tommy offered valuable assistance to me in ID'ing a rare variety that I didn't realize I had. I got caught up in the excitement, combined with a very hectic weekend, I didn't realize I had neglected to thank him.

So, a VERY big Thank You is due to you for you help!

Wes

image;imageimageimageimage;
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    OK back in the good old days here, we actually had a webpage to keep track of such things!! Then again we also had a page to track submissions (way before shared subs). So here is the blast from the past!!!

Welcome to the official "YOU SUCK!"

Hall of fame.

Do you think you have reached the level of SUCKDOM to get you name here? There have been many PCGS forum members who have earned the coveted "YOU SUCK!" award, but very few have made it here! If you think you have earned a spot among the top "YOU SUCK!" recipients let me know. If the official panel deems you worthy enough, you feat of extreme SUCKYNESS will be added here!

HALL OF FAME MEMBERS

(In no particular order)

MADMARTY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1962-P Franklin Half that graded MS66FBL

RUSS achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1964 Accent Hair Kennedy that graded PR68DCAM

DHEATH achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1966 SMS Kennedy that graded MS68DCAM

P8NT achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1957 Roosie that graded MS67FB

THENUMISH achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1956-D Jefferson that graded MS66FS

BALEY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1807 50C that graded an O-115 Discovery Coin

JONATHANB achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1860-O Dime that graded AU58

VAMGUY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1902-O Morgan that graded MS65 VAM26A LDS

BRADDICK achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a Box of Cheerios that later became a descovery coin for the Cheerios Sac

BIGMOOSE achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1873 IHC that graded MS64RD

GANDYJAI achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1976 Kennedy that graded MS69

CAMEONUT achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1953 proof set that had a Jeff that graded PR67DCAM, and 4 1961 Proof sets that had DDR Franklins in them

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Really cool thread.

dcarr - it was great to relive that thread again. It is still great.

1tommy - I have no idea who or what you are talking about but I have enjoyed your posts over the years so....Thank You

Mercury
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • I've had a few.
    One must remember, to receive an official YOU SUCK back then you had to find something for next to nothing and have it turn into a very high priced item!!

I don't mean, a $50 cherrypick that sells for $200, that wouldn't even come close!! But (let's take mine for example), a $7 toned franklin half dollar that sold for $12,000. Even though Russ never sold his, it was a $9.00 proof set that netted a $10K coin! Same with Heath...

<< <i>BIGMOOSE achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1873 IHC that graded MS64RD >>

You never did fix that page to mention that BigMoose's coin was the Snow-1 Doubled Die Obverse. image

Someday I'll get my name on that list.... some day.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has once again reminded me that the you suck award does not mean as much as helping out others on this board. I got caught up with thinking that because I have learned something that I should be rewarded for teaching others, I now realize the you suck means nothing and its truly about helping others and getting a thank you that means way more. Thanks Wes for opening my eyes to the true meaning of this site.. Enjoy Tom
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Marty's award was HUGE, as we had all ribbed him hard for not being able to tell AU from MS in Franklins. He showed us by hitting one out of the park.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

<< <i>This thread has once again reminded me that the you suck award does not mean as much as helping out others on this board. I got caught up with thinking that because I have learned something that I should be rewarded for teaching others, I now realize the you suck means nothing and its truly about helping others and getting a thank you that means way more. Thanks Wes for opening my eyes to the true meaning of this site.. Enjoy Tom >>

Tommy, I can't speak for everyone else but when I post about cherrypicks or rips, I always try to show big photos and explain exactly how I was able to spot the varieties. I mean I freely admit there's a big element of showing off in those threads, but I hope they educate too. Heck, I even post about rips I didn't get so people can learn from my mistakes.

The big score I posted about above was only possible because someone posted a picture of a variety here illustrating a die marker I'd never heard of before. It reminded me of a coin I'd seen just a few days earlier on eBay, and using the marker only I was able to pick off a very rare variety. The member who posted that picture had no idea he'd helped me make a score, but I sent him a coin as a thank you anyway.

You could argue that teaching others how to cherrypick will only create competition for them, but I prefer to think of it as building excitement and awareness for variety coins, which can only be healthy for the overall market.

Sean Reynolds

EDIT Too many "too"s image

<< <i>I've had a few. >>

We know!

I tried to be so humble, but they forced me to talk.

Throw us a bone and give us a few...cough 1888/7 IHC image
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

I enjoy living vicariously sucky through all of you. It gives me hope that one day I'll be on that List of Suck like so many of you.

Keep 'em coming.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine about two years ago for a 1918/7-D Buffalo I found in a bulk lot of partial dates purchased for 15 or 20 cents apiece. Graded G-4 by PCGS and sold for $750-775. Not as impressive as most of the others by the dollar amount, but the % profit helped pay for most of my XF 21-S.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!
    And a reminder as to the spirit of the board and its members!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Remember the YOU SUCKS started 10 years ago!!! Silver was at $4 and ounce and gold was just north of $300 and ounce. Yes, it was all about cherrypicking and a bit of luck!! There was only a handfull of us who really cared about modem crap!! I still think Russ's 68DCAM AH is the last one that was made. It was just something stupid that we did here!!

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    LOL, there are still only a handful of us who care about modern crap. Despite constant and dire warnings that pops would explode and values would crash, in the 10+ years I've been here none of that has come to pass.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know ....Who hands out the "you suck" awards??
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I dont have a picture any more but I beleive I got a "You Suck" when I baught a $4.50 1966 Kennedy and it graded MS67. I sold it for around $2,500.00.

I also think I got another one when I cherried an unbelievably toned 1944-S Walker in a NTC slab. Picked it up for around $50.00. Graded MS65 at PCGS and sold for almost $1,000.00
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to know ....Who hands out the "you suck" awards?? >>

people who don't suck

<< <i>I would like to know ....Who hands out the "you suck" awards?? >>

I think it works kinda like the Baseball Hall of Fame Veterans Committee or the Stonecutters, only current members of the YOU SUCK club can decide who has earned the award. They've also created mini-awards like the You Suck Lite™ to appease needy yet underachieving collectors like me. Lite awards are like lite beers, you can trick yourself into being momentarily satisfied, but ultimately you will remain unfulfilled.

Sean Reynolds

• stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Hey Marty,

Wasn't there some sort of standard for the award? 50X your investment? 100X?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file