Home U.S. Coin Forum

Roll call for "You Suck" award winners

2»

Comments

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that it was awarded to anyone finding a coin that is worth at least 100X what they paid for it. Another member also had to declare "You suck!" in response to the post describing the find. Is that correct?
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I never got a you suck award from anyone on these boards, but I did give myself one. Back when the presidential proof sets first came out, I bought about 20 sets and received 3 double struck/rotated die Jeffersons and a vertically misaligned die Adams error. Since the previous poster mentioned a 100x increase in purchase price as a guideline - all qualified. Cost of individual coin back then about $4.00 all sold above $500.00... I think Fred ended up with most of them!!

Jeff "I suck" C.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think there should be a little organization to this "you suck" award. I propose a group of three people, as the head of the "you suck" committee. Each person has the ability to nominate an awardee, but the honor must be confirmed by at least one other committee member to achieve a "You Suck LITE" award, all three must agree to achieve a full "you suck" award.

This honor will be accompanied by a "sticker" that is placed in your sig-line to denote the achievement of this honor.

I suggest the following as the three committee members:

MadMarty
    Barndog
    Stone

This could be the award...image

Here's a larger pic.

• SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    I got one for a Large Cent crackout. Probable the largest point upgrade on the Message Broads.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more of a suckee than a sucker
    LCoopie = Les
  • rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I may or may not have received one under the rules of a "you suck" declaration not being seconded by another member for the recent submission on a raw 1878 7/5 Triple Blossoms Vam 44 AU-53 picked up for $95.

• MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    In the beginning... The people who sucked would hand it out. It is now, everyone hands it out to everyone else!! It was more about the rarity (if there is modern crap rarities) than the price, but that was also considered.

Take TDN, he can buy a coin and flip it a year later and make a $1,000,000 profit on it. Does he earn a YOU SUCK for that. Nope!! But if you buy a coin RAW for $10 and it turns out to be a $10,000 coin. Then yep, you suck!! BTW, TDN sucks just because he's TDN!! image

It was just a fun way for us to judge ourselves. I can tell you, when someone (if someone) makes a 64 AH in 69DCAM. They will SUCK!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think there should be a little organization to this "you suck" award. I propose a group of three people, as the head of the "you suck" committee. Each person has the ability to nominate an awardee, but the honor must be confirmed by at least one other committee member to achieve a "You Suck LITE" award, all three must agree to achieve a full "you suck" award.

This honor will be accompanied by a "sticker" that is placed in your sig-line to denote the achievement of this honor.

I suggest the following as the three committee members:

MadMarty
    Barndog
    Stone

This could be the award...image
    >>

IRL, I am all for deregulation, smaller government, power to the people kinds of things...so I will thank you for the nomination, but decline.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    I have really enjoyed reading your responses. Not trying to be greedy, is it possible that you post a few more pictures that may show the variety or error that won you that prestigious title?

Visual aids are especially appreciated!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK back in the good old days here, we actually had a webpage to keep track of such things!! Then again we also had a page to track submissions (way before shared subs). So here is the blast from the past!!!

Welcome to the official "YOU SUCK!"

Hall of fame.

Do you think you have reached the level of SUCKDOM to get you name here? There have been many PCGS forum members who have earned the coveted "YOU SUCK!" award, but very few have made it here! If you think you have earned a spot among the top "YOU SUCK!" recipients let me know. If the official panel deems you worthy enough, you feat of extreme SUCKYNESS will be added here!

HALL OF FAME MEMBERS

(In no particular order)

MADMARTY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1962-P Franklin Half that graded MS66FBL

RUSS achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1964 Accent Hair Kennedy that graded PR68DCAM

DHEATH achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1966 SMS Kennedy that graded MS68DCAM

P8NT achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1957 Roosie that graded MS67FB

THENUMISH achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1956-D Jefferson that graded MS66FS

BALEY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1807 50C that graded an O-115 Discovery Coin

JONATHANB achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1860-O Dime that graded AU58

VAMGUY achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1902-O Morgan that graded MS65 VAM26A LDS

BRADDICK achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a Box of Cheerios that later became a descovery coin for the Cheerios Sac

BIGMOOSE achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1873 IHC that graded MS64RD

GANDYJAI achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1976 Kennedy that graded MS69

CAMEONUT achieved extreme SUCKYNESS with his purchase of a 1953 proof set that had a Jeff that graded PR67DCAM, and 4 1961 Proof sets that had DDR Franklins in them >>

OFFICIAL "You Suck" web page.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a couple of them for this.
    Pulled out of a register and replaced with a clad dime to balance the register.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Sumorada...all I can say is WOW! Jrocco....SWEET! Love the pics...please keep 'em comin' !
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

Show Off! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was my first one (and my first forum post!). Paid $90, sold for $1500, IIRC:

1913-S Ty 1 2-Feather No F Buffalo Nickel
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller's picture:

The die marker I spotted (seller's picture on top, photo of an attributed coin that I caught in another forum post on the bottom):

First coin in hand (you can also see it on the Seated Dime Varieties website):

Nine months later, eBay seller's picture:

Coin in hand:

That coin eventually graded VF30 at PCGS.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file