Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINALLY!! My PAWN STARS episode is airing MONDAY June 11!! (PICS added - and Comments on My Experien

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought it would air at 7:30 East Coast time...
    I'm getting Pawn Starred Out... >>

I think the show we want is coming on now at 10 here on the East coast. >>

Yup James. I think you gotta wade for an hour or three through older episodes to get to the new. I'm gonna watch!

Best wishes,
    Eric image
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    10:30 Here on Cox Cable Phoenix channel 62
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    ummmm 10:30 I guess. image

Eric
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    5 more minutes...
  • Options
    Go, Charmy, go! How soon after the show airs do they put it up on the website?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    very cool debut. Way to go.image
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    nice camera - I would have held out for more - nice episode
    palmer
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500 asked, $200 offered, settled on $300. Hey Charmy, you got any coins for $500 image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Just saw it....that was great. Loved the last sentence!
  • Options
    Hahahahahaa Well done Charmy , loved it ... 350 hahaahaha nice
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to watch but some Penny Lady called while I was watching.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are one tough negotiator! Way to go!! Now we know who we're dealing with!

Freddie
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    way to call him on that.image
    Cool
    figglehorn
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are like loose lips....Charmy asked us to keep our traps shut! image
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are like loose lips....Charmy asked us to keep our traps shut! image >>

And you obviously didnt comprehend what she asked .
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are like loose lips....Charmy asked us to keep our traps shut! image >>

So just don't tell anybody!!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Way to Go, Penny Lady!

Well done, props.
  • Options

Ooops...sorry GB , i only seen the 10:30 , not the pst
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done. Most sellers on that show come down a lot quicker. She came down slowly and kept selling. I think she got about as much as they willing to go.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your closing remarks are spot on!image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed it. Will it be on again in the near future?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance someone can post the Charmy part on Youtube?

Can't wait to see.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I missed it. Will it be on again in the near future? >>

they do replays later in the evening.

I wouldn't say mean. I'd say "on guard for being taken, and firm."

don't forget there are also DVR people who won't even watch it tonight.

What would Seinfeld have to say about the proper DVR wait time?

3 day 4 days tops?
    Was there a weekend? If there was a weekend, then you can spoil it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job, Charmy. Congrats.

Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I bet Charmy only wanted $250.... so she started at $500! Remember.......she is a coin dealer! image

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    I watched it was a neat episode.
    Congrats
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know someone from the board was gonna be on that show until after I watched it and then checked here tonight! Very cool
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Charmy got the absolute maximum out of them...I don't think they would have paid a penny more. Good job!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!...I watched. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I recognized the voice before the camera was on you. If you want to get max value on an item you will never sell to a coin shop. But for $300 you got to get your 15 minutes image
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Congrats image
    We have in our midst authors, artists, sculptors, musicians, soldiers, doctors, carpenters, photographers...and now TV stars! image

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Charmy! You looked great and handled the whole thing very, very well. I hope they give you a chance to show off your coin expertise down the road. Congrats on being a TV star now! image

Roger
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    good to see a friendly face there...looks like you held up very well too
    yet another entry to your future book i hope...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    I missed the earlier showing because old people have
    to have their naps, but I caught the showing at 2:30am
    east coast.

All I've got to say is, image

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy, you were way too nice to the smart@$$ that is called "big hoss". You should have asked for the old man image Btw....my son asked to stay up past his bedtime to watch...you have met him a few times, and he found it "cool" that he knew someone who was on the show image He said to tell you "Good job!"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were right - they didn't know who they were dealing with.

Very nice episode. You looked like a true hard-bargainer
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing charming that shop's ever seen!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    nice haggling, you done good.

And yeah, as someone else said, you got any $500 coins I can haggle on with you. imageimageimage
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    Way to go Charmey! I could tell that "Big Hoss" really likes you! He was blushing!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Way to go Charmey! I could tell that "Big Hoss" really likes you! He was blushing! >>

I noticed that too!image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Charmey! I really enjoyed the episode.
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Now tell us some of the behind the scenes stuff!!
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the kind comments, I really appreciate them! I was quite surprised how short it was and they edited out some things I thought would be in the segment. I've been getting some pms with lots of questions, so now that the episode aired I can tell my "story" and finally answer some of your questions:

- I bought the camera about 20 years ago at a garage sale for my hubby who collected old cameras, and paid about $40

- I never tried selling it before but I did contact History Detectives a while back to see if they would be interested due to the possibility that the film might have WWII images but I never heard back from them

- We are avid Pawn Stars watchers and since I was headed to Las Vegas for a show and the camera had just been sitting around the house, my hubby agreed that it would be a good idea to see if Pawn Stars wanted it

- I researched the camera on line and found that the camera itself was not super rare and was worth probably around $150, but since I had the original case and the very rare film, I felt that $300 would be a fair price, though I was willing to accept less.

- I emailed them per their website instructions, sent them photos, told them I wanted $300 for the camera (which was a requirement) and let them know when I would be in Las Vegas. They called me within a few days and said they were would be very excited to film my camera for a Pawn Stars episode, so we made an appointment during the time I would already be there

- My hubby and I discussed how much to settle for and we agreed that if I couldn't sell it for more than $100 we would donate it to a WWII museum. I decided to start at $500 since I knew I really wanted $300.

- By the way, I was advised ahead of time not to wear anything with a logo or mention another company (not even eBay) during my segment, so I couldn’t wear anything with “The Penny Lady” or even say that on air.

- When I arrived for filming, there was a line around the building but I was allowed to go straight in and was taken to the same room where the Pawn Stars guys say their individual monologues about how much they want the item, etc. – the same room with the guitars and motorcycles in the background

- I never saw any of the other Pawn Star guys, only Corey

- The entire production crew were extremely nice and none looked older than 30!

- When it came time for filming, they told me that my negotiations with Corey were completely between me and the store, that they had nothing to do with how much I would sell it for or how much the store would pay for it – and none of what I said was scripted whatsoever

- When I said I hope they didn’t make me look like a big meaning, that was because Corey and I haggled back and forth quite a bit and he (as was typical) kept trying to diminish the desirability of my camera and I just kept pushing back.

- After I said I wanted $500 and he said he’d pay $200, I then went to $475, then $450 and he stayed firm at his $250 offer, but I just kept at him, reminding him how rare the film was, that there might be valuable images on the film, that even though the images on the outer layer of the film were exposed there could still be images on the under layers since the film was 20 feet in length, that the film was in great shape and not deteriorated, etc. None of this appeared in the episode.

- Corey was getting a little impatient and short and I could tell he just wanted to be done with this deal so I finally said, “I tell you what, $300 is my bottom line and if you give me that, you’ll never have to see me again.” Then Corey said very snidely, “That would be worth it!” Again, none of this was in the final cut. However, the producer laughed and asked Corey to say it nicer, so I said to Corey “if you give me $300 I will go away” and that’s what aired.

- When I was interviewed in the parking lot, I was asked questions and then rephrased the question and my answer together, like they would ask “Why are you here at the Pawn Stars?” and I would say, “I’m here today at the Pawn Stars to sell my WWII aerial bomber camera.”

- The last phrase I said about “He didn’t know who he was dealing with” was in response to their question, “So you gave Corey a pretty hard time today, since you’re the Penny Lady, did he know you were a coin dealer?” I said “I’m a coin dealer and I gave Corey a hard time during our negotiations because he didn’t really know who he was dealing with.” When I first said this, they liked it but asked me to say it with more “attitude” which I did (you know, like “he didn’t KNOW who he was DEALING with (hand on hip, slight tilt and shake of my head, squinting my eyes a little, etc.) but they didn’t air that version.

Again, I can’t talk about all the behind the scenes activities, but hopefully this will give a better understanding at least about my experience being on the Pawn Stars.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy: Pawn Stars may not be scripted in the sense of planned dialogue, but it's not spontaneous at all, is it?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy: Pawn Stars may not be scripted in the sense of planned dialogue, but it's not spontaneous at all, is it? >>

Dennis, no it is not planned dialogue at all. I was free to say what I wanted during the negotiations and during the parking lot interview, I was asked questions but could say whatever I wanted there too. As I mentioned, I was guided once or twice for a little more dramatic effect but that was all.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's time to add:

"As Seen on TV's Pawn Stars"

to your banner.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks for posting your story Charmy!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Charmy you're awesome and I thought I read somehwere you were/are a lawyer too? That's my current gig but really I enjoy the coin stuff more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file