Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

interceptshield.com Dead?

Site no longer works!

As most know the ability to get some popular Intercept Shield products has nigh impossible for over a year.

And now, their website appears to be gone as well.

Does anyone know what is happening with Intercept Shield?

Comments

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭
    Good question....... Anyone know anything?

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, I thought they were actually long gone.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to collect product liability claims on defunct company....image

Just a thought.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean that intercept shield didn't work?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    It was a stupid premise and I never followed them.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if ICG still uses the intercept shield?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put all my treasured items in Intercept Shields to prevent their (undesired) toning and other environmental changes.

They also prevented elephant stampedes, which in fact never occurred after I put my coins in them.

Was I duped?
  • Options

<< <i>How about this, please just prove to me the technology works, tha tis all I ask. >>

I agree. Never saw any proof that this was useful at all other than in peoples minds.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Not only is the Intercept Shield website gone, but a quick Google search of Intercept Shield, Lucent Technologies (parent company and inventor of the Intercept Shield anti-corrosion technology - a spin-off of AT&T and Bell Labs), and most other sites relating to the Intercept Shield product reveals that they are also gone. Was there some mention of the demise of Intercept Shield in the numismatic press? I have also heard nothing.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is now: Alcatel-Lucent with symbol ALU. The Interceptshield product was discontinued after the merger.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Does that mean that all of those IS holders will, in the future, be worth big bucks from the plastic collectors ? ! ? !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've been a satisfied user of their products for some time and currently have a thread at the BST looking for some 2x2's. my experience with the various holders/albums has been positive, although it's difficult to prove if they are doing anything to protect the coins as advertised. i know this much-----the coins i have placed in the holders/albums have remained the same over probably 10+ years and i don't have the same confidence in most other storage medium.
  • Options
    Ok, let's say they didn't work (I believe they do, call me silly):

This product CLEARLY has some demand based on the frequent postings about them.

So, would some aspiring chemist, maybe Wondercoin's son, please re-invent them so I can put my precious slabs in them image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Intercept Shield box for 2x2s.

Am I rich?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>I have an Intercept Shield box for 2x2s.

Am I rich? >>

Whats in the box? image

Eric
  • Options
    Just because they're no longer being made doesn't mean they didn't work. Could be that Alcatel-Lucent wanted to change the licensing terms for the technology such that it was no longer feasible for a manufacturer to make these for such a small market.
  • Options
    I suppose you could take two ICG slabs, one with Intercept Shield, one without, and gas them. Should be a fairly easy experiment that I assume was done back when ICG started offering it.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the IS distributor operated out of PO BOX 1776, Far Hills, NJ

You may notice that is the current address of CAC.

So it is very likely that someone at CAC would know the answer...
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's odd that you bring up these albums.
    I saw a complete of SBA's in one of their folders and thought it looked very nice.
    Just yesterday I looked on a suppliers website and they had them on closeout special.
    Tried to find the interceptshield web site to see what the type album included and couldn't find a thing.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early advertisements for the IS products had images and data supporting the technology and its use.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the IS distributor operated out of PO BOX 1776, Far Hills, NJ

You may notice that is the current address of CAC.

So it is very likely that someone at CAC would know the answer... >>

interesting
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    personally, i think they are the best way to slab a coin that's not worth TPG slabbing. i got a bunch to put coins in and i am happy with them. i didn't get them because i believed they prevent toning...i just got them because i like the way they hold coins.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The early advertisements for the IS products had images and data supporting the technology and its use. >>

That is correct. Somewhere I have the literature showing this. I have been using the IS products for 12 years with much success. The results were far better than those slabs that were not in the IS boxes. While that may not convince many, it is a proven to me, and I am more than satisfied. Everyone needs to make their own decision. I hate to see this product go.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    For Al to say he used it for the last 10 years and his coin hasn't changed is far from proof. Also the manufacturers had warnings that its useful life was limited to 10 years and then it must be replaced, and to me that is another joke.

this is almost like a "Faith" product-----if you believe it works nothing needs to be proven, if you don't believe it works nothing will convince you. my "Faith" is based on the evidence put forth when the product was first released followed by years of experience which supported what the Manufacturer stated. i never felt the need to doubt the effectiveness or to do a test of any kind. call me gullible if you must...........................

i don't think the "useful life" ends at the 10 year mark across the board once a package is opened, that's pretty much when they suggest the effectiveness has diminished or is starting to diminish. since the product itself is sacrificial in design, the effective "useful life" should understandably vary based on the environmental conditions that the product is used in.
  • Options
    1040taxman1040taxman Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    You can still purchase IS products at coinwizard.com
  • Options

<< <i>You can still purchase IS products at coinwizard.com >>

*Some* of them.

They are out of about half of them.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought that the name sounded like an adult diaper product.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> For Al to say he used it for the last 10 years and his coin hasn't changed is far from proof. Also the manufacturers had warnings that its useful life was limited to 10 years and then it must be replaced, and to me that is another joke.

this is almost like a "Faith" product-----if you believe it works nothing needs to be proven, if you don't believe it works nothing will convince you. my "Faith" is based on the evidence put forth when the product was first released followed by years of experience which supported what the Manufacturer stated. i never felt the need to doubt the effectiveness or to do a test of any kind. call me gullible if you must...........................

i don't think the "useful life" ends at the 10 year mark across the board once a package is opened, that's pretty much when they suggest the effectiveness has diminished or is starting to diminish. since the product itself is sacrificial in design, the effective "useful life" should understandably vary based on the environmental conditions that the product is used in. >>

The useful life is likely similar to that used for the expiration dating on drugs. When drugs "expire" they don't magically become ineffective, they just have lost potency so that they are no longer within the approved label specifications.

The length of use testing that was done with IS products was somewhat similar to what drug manufacturers used for stability testing of drug products; they accelerate the "aging" process under controlled conditions and then make predictions based on the data. The 10 year life span may be a minimum or it may be marketing, without access to the data we would not be able to make that judgment.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Am I rich? >>

Whats in the box? image

Eric >>

Air.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How about this, please just prove to me the technology works, tha tis all I ask. >>

I agree. Never saw any proof that this was useful at all other than in peoples minds. >>

Even if it didn't work, it was a cheap slab box that did not seem to cause harm to the coins themselves; thus, I would still argue that they were reasonably priced storage options.
  • Options

<< <i>Site no longer works!

As most know the ability to get some popular Intercept Shield products has nigh impossible for over a year.

And now, their website appears to be gone as well.

Does anyone know what is happening with Intercept Shield? >>

The website is up and running for me. Maybe they were simply redesigning or updating their website. I wish they would produce more of their products.
  • Options

My understanding is that there were scientific studies and that there was data (provided by the company of course, so take it all with a grain of salt). It looked good judging from their advertisements, but surely I won't vouch for something that I cannot vouch for empirically. Nevertheless, the IS slab boxes were only around $11, which is a cheap slab box if you ask me (I have seen PCGS storage boxes sell for around $8-9 each, and you don't have the individual sleeves to keep the coins from becoming scratched when you remove them from the main box). Either way, I liked the product very much, and I miss their products.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard of them but what were they? Someone care to inform me?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I do not care if they work or not, i just like the green colored albums over the standard boring brown and biege
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realone said:

<< <i>I can safely surmise that oreville as one of the smartest hoarders of these coin cases. >>

Absolutely!

I am still the proud owner of 34,620 of those double intercept boxes after selling 500 yesterday off to my triple secret client for $50 each. Their collection is only double secret.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Seems to be working for me.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Am I rich? >>

Whats in the box? image

Eric >>

Air. >>

I've used Intercept Shield containers to hold Kool Aid products, and then shipped the items through the USPS, to a safe house somewhere else a few times. In all honesty, there were coins underneath all those layers. image, but I like you guys' way of thinkin'.
  • Options

<< <i>realone said:

<< <i>I can safely surmise that oreville as one of the smartest hoarders of these coin cases. >>

Absolutely!

I am still the proud owner of 34,620 of those double intercept boxes after selling 500 yesterday off to my triple secret client for $50 each. Their collection is only double secret. >>

I hope you're only joking. I have purchased several of these from private collectors for a lot less than $50 each.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if ICG still uses the intercept shield?

image >>

I believe they were only used for a short time about ten years ago, I believe ownership in ICG has changed a few times and they did not follow. I have never seen one with the serial number on the reverse.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    There will be better things coming to market...
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    those ICG/IS holders appeal to me-----Black background, extra protection and what i feel is the best shaped/designed holder. it's too bad ICG grading took a nose dive around 1999.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file