Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

new raw 1948 franklin : give me your grade opinion. pcgs grade results 6/15/12 trueview pics

i will submit this one to pcgs for grading, what do you think ? you will not hurt my feelings, give me your honest opinion.

trueview and grade results on second page of thread

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    reverse image a lil hard to give fbl
    looks like it though
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    66 or higher plus a very good chance at FBL, however, I am unable to determine that as a fact. Good luck!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are there scratches on the bell?
    if not 65 FBL
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the front, not so much the back.

if that isn't friction on the cheek, MS'ish 64

peacockcoins

• Options
    The toning can easily hide marks. I am going with MS64 to MS65, and the coin would probably receive a FBL designation from PCGS.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like it. And I am in the 65 camp.
  • Options
    I'll go 65 and possibly FBL. Nice coin, I like it.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Color looks off.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FROM THE IMAGES technically, for nicks and dings, it is clean enough to 66. However, the color appears dark enough to drop it to a 65. Furthermore I agree with RR that the color appears off. FWIW, it appears to be FBL.
  • Options
    Hello,

I looked at this several time today. My first impression remains - the coin is bland and odd to me. Having seen the comments about color being off I guess I agree.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64FBL
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Color looks fine to me, as do the bell lines.

Based on the images, it is either 58, 64, 65, or 66.image
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS says environmental damage as the toning appears a bit rough. Missing luster. Hard to tell by the pictures.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    I think maybe MS64FBL.

Have you checked it for a doubled die? There's quite a few known for 1948. Link to dlbd. die listings
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin appears to be an MS-65 although the toning on the bell muddles the picture to the point where there might be marks or even a rub under. The 65 grade is based upon an assumption that nothing bad is hiding under the reverse toning.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it spent hours in a bedpan...not attractive at all IMO... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say 65 FBL, but hard to tell from those pictures.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes cool coin, but with another post, for some reason It looks odd! Cleaned? for your sake I hope not! Good Luck.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    ricko, i didn't know you could tone coins in a bedpan, i think i will go buy one and try it out ! lol !
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    i received the grade i wanted, and i am thankful !

ms66fbl

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    As is usual, nice job DDM!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file